C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flip drive questions which setup do you have? Feedback Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 10:20 PM
FeArZ
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Flip drive questions which setup do you have? Feedback Reviews.

I'm running a ecs 1500 kit on a 08 c6. IW 10% 8 rib balancer, 3.8 head unit pulley on a 6 rib belt. Made 756/642. 5k miles later. Broke a water pump, Then spun the alternator bolt loose. Thinking the belt is too tight, but slips otherwise.

Want to do a flip drive/ direct drive setup. I sent an email to ECS about there Flip drive setup, but heard Cog belts can be troublesome to get right.

​​​​Wanting to get some feedback on different setups.

​​​
​​​
Old 05-16-2018, 10:23 PM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

No issues with mine, Dallas Performance. 6 rib a/c conversion.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:22 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 209 Posts

I've got the new A&A secondary drive and it's been great.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:42 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

ECS uses Cartek Flip drive, and it isn't cogged. It is a nice system.

A&A has a nice system too.

Cartek comes with nice PS lines, A&A comes with autotensioner up top. Pick which option you like more.

DP was very nice, but isn't made anymore and is more like the Cartek setup.

A&A also has the new style one, with the stock style AC, but it requires a new damper, and is pricey, but just about the best you can get.

ECS cog mod works amazing, but because a few people had issues, they stopped doing it.

My setup is best of all 3. ECS cog mod to DP lower with A&A upper. If you don't mind spending a ton of money for the best stuff, you can attempt to copy mine and put together the best of all 3 kits.
The following users liked this post:
Tusc (03-24-2021)
Old 05-17-2018, 08:46 AM
Kryckter
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A&A Setup here. Their flip/direct drive is amazing!
Old 05-17-2018, 11:08 AM
BT03mach-1
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

so what benefit is this "flip drive"? My blower broke and is at Paxton getting rebuilt so I was thinking about going 8 rib. The blower belt still turns the water pump correct?
Old 05-17-2018, 02:05 PM
FeArZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by Patriot Six
I've got the new A&A secondary drive and it's been great.
Thanks for the feedback. I looked into it more last night and looks like a great kit.

Originally Posted by Unreal
ECS uses Cartek Flip drive, and it isn't cogged. It is a nice system.

A&A has a nice system too.

Cartek comes with nice PS lines, A&A comes with autotensioner up top. Pick which option you like more.

DP was very nice, but isn't made anymore and is more like the Cartek setup.

A&A also has the new style one, with the stock style AC, but it requires a new damper, and is pricey, but just about the best you can get.

ECS cog mod works amazing, but because a few people had issues, they stopped doing it.

My setup is best of all 3. ECS cog mod to DP lower with A&A upper. If you don't mind spending a ton of money for the best stuff, you can attempt to copy mine and put together the best of all 3 kits.
Yeah, not trying to break the bank lol. I know the cog was troublesome, know when setup perfect its the end all be all setup.

Originally Posted by Kryckter
A&A Setup here. Their flip/direct drive is amazing!
Are you running the new style with the added 4 rib?

Last edited by FeArZ; 05-17-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:12 PM
FeArZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by BT03mach-1
so what benefit is this "flip drive"? My blower broke and is at Paxton getting rebuilt so I was thinking about going 8 rib. The blower belt still turns the water pump correct?
The belt comes off the blower then around the tensioner then rides against the left side if the water pump bell then onto the balancer.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:07 PM
algZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

A&A with ECS cog here. 8 rib setup with 0 slip
Old 05-17-2018, 05:15 PM
Kryckter
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FeArZ

Are you running the new style with the added 6 rib?
No. Mine is the one that still runs the accessory from the A/C belt. It works good. I have a 8-rib dedicated for the blower. Max'd out F1X at 28# and no slip
Old 05-18-2018, 10:51 AM
wilburbill
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I too broke the water pump pulley last week. I ordered the Cartek flip drive. I hope to receive it sometime next week. Seems there are quite a few that have had water pump pulley problems with superchargers. I had about 5000 miles on mine since I installed it.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:08 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

I have the latest A&A setup. I don't have many miles on the car since I installed it, so I can't comment on how well it works. However, I can comment on the fit/finish and design...

The power steering line leaves much to be desired. In looking at the other kits, they may have the same problems with the power steering line though.

My upper radiator hose rubbed on my power steering reservoir. Blew another ~$250 buying upper radiator hoses and ultimately swapped to an early-style LS7 pump.

The 6 rib accessories are driven via a jackshaft that's spun by a 4 rib belt. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.. so I have concerns that the 4 rib belt could slip causing charging issues.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:22 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tech
I have the latest A&A setup. I don't have many miles on the car since I installed it, so I can't comment on how well it works. However, I can comment on the fit/finish and design...

The power steering line leaves much to be desired. In looking at the other kits, they may have the same problems with the power steering line though.

My upper radiator hose rubbed on my power steering reservoir. Blew another ~$250 buying upper radiator hoses and ultimately swapped to an early-style LS7 pump.

The 6 rib accessories are driven via a jackshaft that's spun by a 4 rib belt. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.. so I have concerns that the 4 rib belt could slip causing charging issues.
Which is what experienced, until doing the cogged lower, and auto tensioner upper.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:29 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Wouldn't a high output alternator fix this by producing more voltage at lower rpms? I just went that route due to going dual fans, but it could probably backstop the 4 rib issues, if they arise.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:13 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Nope, if the pulley isn't turning, it isn't charging, and a HO alt can also be harder to spin causing even worse problems.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:23 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Sure, if it's not turning at all. If it's slipping, it's probably just turning slower. Oh well, I needed the HO alt anyway for the fans. Luckily, I haven't seen voltage issues with the secondary drive.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:25 AM
WickdGS
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm planning to go direct drive in the near future myself. Currently I'm running an A&A full 8 rib setup and after having numerous belt squeal issues I removed the IW balancer in favor of a 10 rib ATI balancer and haven't had a problem since. Obviously running A&A's secondary drive isn't possible for me anymore which only leaves me with a Cartek/HPE option. Is it possible to put a C5 a/c bracket with the extra idler on my C6 and will this be sufficient or is there anything else I can/should do?

Get notified of new replies

To Flip drive questions which setup do you have? Feedback Reviews.

Old 05-19-2018, 02:02 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I have had both of a&a's secondary drives, I have logged 13.9-14v at redline consistently on their old design... it was on a c5 though so besides the tensioner I have an extra idler on the ac belt instead of just the tensioner alone like the c6... I switched it out to the newer one only because the belt would squeal at times when the ac was turned on (which does indicates slip) but when racing it would hold voltage no problem... the new design is really nice and takes all the load off the ac belt but it will require a new balancer or if you already have an innovators west balancer I believe they can either have it cut for their new drive or swap the shells out which would be cheaper than a completely new balancer... if you end up with an older design a&a, dallas performance, or cartek flip drive you should really consider using the c5 ac bracket

Last edited by neutron82; 05-19-2018 at 02:04 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:20 PM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Use the C5 a/c bracket and convert the a/c belt setup to the 6 rib. I have no issue of slippage and run wot in 5th up to 7100 rpm.
The following users liked this post:
WickdGS (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 02:32 AM
Blk 08 C6
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

A&A 2ndary drive here on a 8rib set up.running good. no problems no belt slip here.getting ready to pulley down and install thier dual holley pump setup.

Quick Reply: Flip drive questions which setup do you have? Feedback Reviews.