C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

APS - Boost controller and meth inj. help

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 06:58 PM
shor0814
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default APS - Boost controller and meth inj. help

I have a 2007 C6 with an APS kit, C6 version, not the Z version so internal wastegates with actuators. I have already upgraded to Forge actuators and BOV's with red springs and now I want to add a boost controller (Cortex EBC) to the system. I think I have the hose routing figured out but want to make sure:

Disconnect the actuator hoses tee at the "Y" before the intake and connect to Port 2 on my solenoid. Connect a new hose into the "Y" and route it to Port 3 on the solenoid. Port 1 will be vented.

The tee that I plan on disconnecting is here:

If I am correct I will have something like this:

Since I don't have boost pressure connectors on the turbos the "Y" before the intake will act as my source.

The Cortex is already wired and plumbed and seems to read boost just fine.

Feedback of flaws in my plans are appreciated. I haven't done anything on the car in a couple of years so my brain is still catching back up. I still have to swap the turbo inlets and outlet hoses (unless someone has had really good success with a new outlet routing location and got rid of the pancake sections all together.

For my meth injection, I had a Labonte system and when the rear diffuser got swapped out they didn't bolt the pump back on and I ended up dragging my pump down the road so suggestions on a replacement pump are appreciated. Labonte is out of business so I have disconnected the brain box and left the plumbing. I will almost certainly use the Cortex for the meth controls as it gives options from linear to 3D mapped injection profiles. Really cool little box to be honest.

Final question: 2+ bar MAP sensors? What is the latest and greatest for reading boost while logging with HP Tuners. I have seen posts on new ZR1 sensors, modifying tables, using 3rd party sensors, etc. Just want to log boost and AFR. I have the latest OS for the 2007 so I do support 2bar SD tuning.

I did search for all of the above and feel like I have answers for each question but looking for the latest and greatest before re-inventing the wheel.

BTW, for anyone intrested, the Mongoose Pro J2534 programmer is excellent when paired with an AC Delco 2 year subscription ($40/vin). I was too scared to try the VXDIAG tool but the Mongoose performed flawlessly.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by shor0814; 07-13-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:44 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by shor0814
Final question: 2+ bar MAP sensors? What is the latest and greatest for reading boost while logging with HP Tuners. I have seen posts on new ZR1 sensors, modifying tables, using 3rd party sensors, etc. Just want to log boost and AFR. I have the latest OS for the 2007 so I do support 2bar SD tuning.
What MAP sensor is on there now?

On LS3's the easiest option is use a ZR1 3 bar sensor.

On LS2's the easiest option is a 2 bar cobalt SS sensor, assuming you aren't going over 15psi, obviously. For over 2 bar, you can use a DSX 2.5 bar sensor or you can use a ZR1 3 bar sensor but for the ZR1 sensor you have to slightly enlarge the hole for the sensor on the intake and you either have to change the wiring connector or buy an adapter harness.

You don't have to have an OS upgrade to support SD or tuning in boost now that VVE editing is available (not that I don't still prefer it..)

Last edited by schpenxel; 07-13-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:03 PM
shor0814
Safety Car

Originally Posted by schpenxel
What MAP sensor is on there now?

On LS3's the easiest option is use a ZR1 3 bar sensor.

On LS2's the easiest option is a 2 bar cobalt SS sensor, assuming you aren't going over 15psi, obviously. For over 2 bar, you can use a DSX 2.5 bar sensor or you can use a ZR1 3 bar sensor but for the ZR1 sensor you have to slightly enlarge the hole for the sensor on the intake and you either have to change the wiring connector or buy an adapter harness.

You don't have to have an OS upgrade to support SD or tuning in boost now that VVE editing is available (not that I don't still prefer it..)
I have the stock LS2 MAP sensor so right now (1 bar?) so I am pretty open to options. It looks like DSX isn't making sensors anymore and the other supplier wants $125 so I can just get the 3bar GM + adapter for less and do a bit of drilling, not a bad option actually.

So changing to the 3bar I just adjust my Linear and Offset and start tuning again as usual or do I have to do the VVE tables and SD tune?

Thanks again.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:09 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Your boost control setup sounds to be reasonable, as per drawing with the exception of the boost source to the solenoid.
The following users liked this post:
shor0814 (07-15-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 11:06 PM
shor0814
Safety Car

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Your boost control setup sounds to be reasonable, as per drawing with the exception of the boost source to the solenoid.
Just to be certain, plumb it in according to the diagram bit plug the boost source from the solenoid to the Y before the throttle body as shown in the APS picture? Planning on doing that in the AM so I thought I would ask.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:34 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Just to be certain, plumb it in according to the diagram bit plug the boost source from the solenoid to the Y before the throttle body as shown in the APS picture? Planning on doing that in the AM so I thought I would ask.

Correct.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:35 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I have the stock LS2 MAP sensor so right now (1 bar?) so I am pretty open to options. It looks like DSX isn't making sensors anymore and the other supplier wants $125 so I can just get the 3bar GM + adapter for less and do a bit of drilling, not a bad option actually.

So changing to the 3bar I just adjust my Linear and Offset and start tuning again as usual or do I have to do the VVE tables and SD tune?

Thanks again.
Either way will work, 2 bar cobalt SS sensor or 3 bar ZR1, so whatever you prefer. I did the 2 bar since it was easier and I wasn't going over 15psi of boost anyways

The tuning question really is two different parts. To make the sensor function/read correctly, yes, all you have to update is linear/offset and it'll read properly. You may want to make sure your OS will support the ZR1 linear/offset values before buying it just to be sure. Offset is negative and linear is 312 I believe, some OS's don't support that but I think it's only on E40 ECM's where that is an issue.

Tuning wise you can do it either way, VVE editor (update MAP axis to whatever boost range you are planning on running) or upgrade to 2 bar OS (actually supports 2.5 bars as you can change the headers on the VE table MAP axis up to 250 or 255). If you go the 2 bar OS route you'll start out with a total blank VE table, so you'll need to find something to start with (or make something based on the VVE table you already have, you'll have to transpose the x/y axis around in Excel or something), just a heads up. I can't even count how many "I upgraded to the 2 bar OS and now my car won't stay running!" posts I've seen on HPTuners forum over the years.. this is almost always the cause.

Either way, either the VVE or VE table will need to be tuned, obviously..

Last edited by schpenxel; 07-15-2018 at 06:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
shor0814 (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 08:53 PM
shor0814
Safety Car

Well, some success, some not so success. Got the wiring into the computer for the Cortex fixed, my taps didn't have great contact so I switched to posi-taps and now I can see my throttle position and configure the car correctly. Need to find some time to run the gears and get the ratios figured out for boost by gear but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Tried to run the vacuum hoses but seems they sent me 2 sets of barbs for the solenoid but no tee or fittings. Amazon to the rescue. I did pull run the hose and got the EBC screwed down and wired, then spent some time figuring out the software for the EBC.

I may just do a remote tune with one of the better known tuners since I am out in the sticks so to speak and no real LSx resources to tap into like I did in Denver. Regardless I still need to find a decent meth pump before I get carried away with tuning.

Thank you both for the help, just waiting for Amazon for the MAP and barbs and other miscellaneous stuff.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:13 PM
TurboLX
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Your best solution would be to run a 2-2.5bar MAP sensor along with an LS3 style MAF sensor on a STOCK OS. Recalibrate for the proper transfer functions and STEADY STATE VVE using a 2bar table in the VVE editor. Everything else is a band-aid or compromise.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:42 PM
shor0814
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TurboLX
Your best solution would be to run a 2-2.5bar MAP sensor along with an LS3 style MAF sensor on a STOCK OS. Recalibrate for the proper transfer functions and STEADY STATE VVE using a 2bar table in the VVE editor. Everything else is a band-aid or compromise.
Already ordered the 3 bar but planned on keeping the OS as is. What is the benefit of the new MAD?

Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To APS - Boost controller and meth inj. help

Quick Reply: APS - Boost controller and meth inj. help