C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Z51 Edelbrock supercharger overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 02:18 PM
Andy3000
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

Default 07 Z51 Edelbrock supercharger overheating

Hey guys I know I don't post much but I am always reading posts. My 07 vett with a edelbrock supercharger is getting really hot under normal driving conditions. Coolant temps are reading 220 plus while driving around town then when I stop it starts to creep over that. My oil temps are 260-280 while in town driving but once I'm on the freeway its about 260 level. Also when I stop and turn it off the temps climb like crazy!!!! i try and let it idle to cool off but thats not helping. Need help!!! I know I need a bigger radiator and oil cooler but who in southern California does the work 1 and number 2 my model had the Z51 package but it didn't come with an oil cooler not in the radiator or external. Need help please on what I can do and where I can go to get my cooling issue fixed. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:54 PM
Shikaitsu
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Couple things,
Do you have a vented hood? Roots blowers generate a lof ot heat under the hood and your ambient temperatures are probably pretty hot under there. A vented hood can fix this, cheap fix would be hood spacers
If you are not already, invest in a meth/alcohol injection setup to lower charge temperatures or possibly convert to e-85 to lower combustion temperatures
If you live in a climate that does not see freezing temperatures, I would look into a lower temperature thermostat.
Alternatively, you can replace the antifreeze with straight water and add a bottler of redline water wetter. I would not reccoment either if you ever experience temperatures under 40 degrees fahrenheit.
Oil cooler is always a great idea, it's a fairly simple concept and any reputable tuner shop in your area should be able to perform it relatively inexpensively.
Just a few ideas to start.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:35 PM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Shikaitsu
Couple things,
Do you have a vented hood? Roots blowers generate a lof ot heat under the hood and your ambient temperatures are probably pretty hot under there. A vented hood can fix this, cheap fix would be hood spacers
If you are not already, invest in a meth/alcohol injection setup to lower charge temperatures or possibly convert to e-85 to lower combustion temperatures
If you live in a climate that does not see freezing temperatures, I would look into a lower temperature thermostat.
Alternatively, you can replace the antifreeze with straight water and add a bottler of redline water wetter. I would not reccoment either if you ever experience temperatures under 40 degrees fahrenheit.
Oil cooler is always a great idea, it's a fairly simple concept and any reputable tuner shop in your area should be able to perform it relatively inexpensively.
Just a few ideas to start.
I dont think any of these suggestions are going to fix the issue. If you put a lower temp thermostat in, once you are at that temp, the thermostat is going to stay open all the time regardless. If your cooling system isnt doing its job, its only going to do so much.
Not running antifreeze is a bad idea too. Antifreeze not only keeps your coolant from freezing, but also raises the boiling point. Running E85 only lowers my coolant temp 5 degrees in the summer.

You need to check to see if your fan is operating properly, make sure your heat exchanger, radiator and condenser are not full of road debris (grass, leaves, dirt ect....). Is this a new problem?

The following users liked this post:
mikecronis (09-09-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 05:39 PM
Shikaitsu
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Speaking from personal experience vented hoods have saved my life on numerous occasions in blower cars and I can only imagine the ambient temps in SoCal are pretty serious. I've also had luck clearing out road debris from the radiator and when I was living in a much warmer climate I wired my fans to stay on 100% with ignition on but these are worst case scenario fixes. Might not hurt to make sure the coolant level is adequate to start with.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:48 PM
Andy3000
Advanced

Originally Posted by russ472
I dont think any of these suggestions are going to fix the issue. If you put a lower temp thermostat in, once you are at that temp, the thermostat is going to stay open all the time regardless. If your cooling system isnt doing its job, its only going to do so much.
Not running antifreeze is a bad idea too. Antifreeze not only keeps your coolant from freezing, but also raises the boiling point. Running E85 only lowers my coolant temp 5 degrees in the summer.

You need to check to see if your fan is operating properly, make sure your heat exchanger, radiator and condenser are not full of road debris (grass, leaves, dirt ect....). Is this a new problem?

Its getting worse and yes I dealt with it until I saw a thread that said guys on the track were reading 250 oil temp. SO that was a red flag to me. there is no debris on may radiator everything is clean.
mikecronis (09-09-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 07:43 PM
theandrewo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Have you checked proper functioning of the water pump and t-stat? T-stat could be sticking.
Also consider having your tuner set your fans to come on sooner.
Consider flushing your cooling system. Could be blockage.
Another mod I've read is connecting the fans directly to the battery so they get more voltage than through the harness. Also prevents burning up the fan switch from running them too much.
Install oil cooler.

If youre still hot then it may be time to get a DeWitts radiator. Or a Mishimoto. I know they're having a group pre-sale right now.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:28 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

Wow, that's way hot.
I agree about the vented hood not being an option - yet.
I think you should check everything mentioned previously, I bet it's a common thing like t-stat sticking, water pump worn or something.
Your oil temp will come too when the ECT drops.
Do you have an IAT temp (Dashlogic?). I put in a DeWitts radiator in my Grandsport, and a 160 t-stat (controversial though), and it runs very cool. IAT's stay +13* above AMBIENT air temp, which never even exceed 200*F.
Try these question on this thread, too.
Keep us posted.

ETA; check the wiring connectors at the fan too, they have a history of burning after some time. If that's the case, perhaps do as suggested and re-wire.

Hopefully RealCanuk and or others that have a lot of experience with will chime in...

Last edited by Chiselchst; 08-17-2018 at 03:52 PM.
JerriVette (09-24-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 12:25 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,336 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiselchst
I put in a DeWitts radiator in my Grandsport, and a 160 t-stat (controversial though), and it runs very cool. IAT's stay +13* above ECT's, which never even exceed 200*F.
Now Mitch, you need to clean that statement up just a bit. I'm sure you meant that IAT's stay 13* above ambient air temps....not ECT's. No need to give the TVS blower haters more ammo. They are mostly quiet nowadays. Don't stir 'em up
Chiselchst (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 03:42 PM
RPOWU8
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy3000
Hey guys I know I don't post much but I am always reading posts. My 07 vett with a edelbrock supercharger is getting really hot under normal driving conditions. Coolant temps are reading 220 plus while driving around town then when I stop it starts to creep over that. My oil temps are 260-280 while in town driving but once I'm on the freeway its about 260 level. Also when I stop and turn it off the temps climb like crazy!!!! i try and let it idle to cool off but thats not helping. Need help!!! I know I need a bigger radiator and oil cooler but who in southern California does the work 1 and number 2 my model had the Z51 package but it didn't come with an oil cooler not in the radiator or external. Need help please on what I can do and where I can go to get my cooling issue fixed. Thanks in advance guys.
First thing to check is the fan connector on the right side of the fan shroud. They tend to burn up the connectors inside and melt the housing. Disconnect and inspect the terminals inside. You will smell it once you open the connector if it has been melting.

Its a good idea to have the fans reprogrammed to increase fan speed sooner to keep ahead of heat soak. Not sure how edelbrock mounts there heat exchanger but make sure that air cannot be pulled from engine compartment back to front of radiator.

My bet would be the fan connector is the problem. I cut the connectors out and soldered and heat shrinked them after the second time I burned mine up. I used a fusable link to run to battery + connection next to fuse box to eliminate as many connectors as possible.

DJ
Old 08-19-2018, 09:31 PM
Andy3000
Advanced

thanks guys everything checks out fine all connectors are good fan kicks in at 180 don't know what else to do I think its just to hot where I live. Its been over 105 where I live the last couple of days. I am thinking that its just to hot for this car here in the antelope valley which is the desert. I think I need a buffer radiator.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:51 AM
studnavy
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure the system is properly bled, if needbe use a venturi style vacuum to get all the airbubbles out of the coolant system.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:48 PM
Andy3000
Advanced

Originally Posted by studnavy
make sure the system is properly bled, if needbe use a venturi style vacuum to get all the airbubbles out of the coolant system.
thanks I will have my whole system serviced just incase.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:51 AM
Smokeyjr
Emerging Vendor

Received 597 Likes on 407 Posts

I have a 08 with a Edelbrock competition supercharger and never gets above 220 with high outside temperatures...I replaced the Edelbrock coolant container with a larger tank and use Redline water wetter...moved the battery to the rear to fit the Moroso tank...I also installed a louver into the hood from advance composites (which I have a extra one for sale)...a different thermostat was installed...along with a manual switch to override the dual fans...not one problem have I had...fyi...that louver reduced the temp significantly along with the other components.

Last edited by Smokeyjr; 09-25-2018 at 05:59 AM. Reason: photo
Old 09-14-2018, 01:31 PM
tmboll
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

D3 dual fan set up fixed mine
Smokeyjr (09-17-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 11:22 PM
Andy3000
Advanced

ok so I have read many many threads on cars over heating and one guy pointed out on an old forum is that I need to reprogram my fans to come on at a lower temp. In an old forum one of you guys states that the fan turns on at 205 and I should have the fans turn on at maybe 180 and maybe that should fix the problem. So I am going to try that and see what happens, wish me luck
Old 09-19-2018, 11:26 PM
weedester
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Andy3000
ok so I have read many many threads on cars over heating and one guy pointed out on an old forum is that I need to reprogram my fans to come on at a lower temp. In an old forum one of you guys states that the fan turns on at 205 and I should have the fans turn on at maybe 180 and maybe that should fix the problem. So I am going to try that and see what happens, wish me luck
I did some upgrades to my 08 C6 earlier this year. The major thing was the ECS super charger. The car never ran over 180 before the upgrades but afterward coolant temp easily went over 200 especially with the ac on. I had a dual spal fan shroud system installed and got a little help. I replace the original hood with a vented carbon fiber hood. I got a little more help. After installing the dual spal fans i had to install a 240 amp alternator because the factory alternator wouldn't put out enough amps to keep it all going. Luckily I caught this before I trashed the battery. Most of the time I run without the ac on and the temps stay 198 to 203 until I get on it. When I do run the ac the temps go to 216+. I live in the Houston area so ambient temp during the spring, summer and most of fall range up to the 90's with 70% humidity. My next upgrade will be an Alkycontrol Methanol system. Hopefully this will help out even more. I've found the addition of the supercharger is a given for heat addition but maybe....just maybe if I throw enough money at it i'll be able to run the car and the ac at the same time and keep the temps controlled. Good luck with yours.
Andy3000 (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 04:39 AM
Andy3000
Advanced

Originally Posted by weedester
I did some upgrades to my 08 C6 earlier this year. The major thing was the ECS super charger. The car never ran over 180 before the upgrades but afterward coolant temp easily went over 200 especially with the ac on. I had a dual spal fan shroud system installed and got a little help. I replace the original hood with a vented carbon fiber hood. I got a little more help. After installing the dual spal fans i had to install a 240 amp alternator because the factory alternator wouldn't put out enough amps to keep it all going. Luckily I caught this before I trashed the battery. Most of the time I run without the ac on and the temps stay 198 to 203 until I get on it. When I do run the ac the temps go to 216+. I live in the Houston area so ambient temp during the spring, summer and most of fall range up to the 90's with 70% humidity. My next upgrade will be an Alkycontrol Methanol system. Hopefully this will help out even more. I've found the addition of the supercharger is a given for heat addition but maybe....just maybe if I throw enough money at it i'll be able to run the car and the ac at the same time and keep the temps controlled. Good luck with yours.
Youre awesome I am not trying to be a smartass I just love how me and you are reaching for the same goal lol

Get notified of new replies

To 07 Z51 Edelbrock supercharger overheating

Old 09-24-2018, 06:57 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Well, the C6 / ZR1 has basically the same Eaton 2300 supercharger that the OP has installed in his C6 .... But the ZR1 don't have the overheating problems that the OP has been experiencing.

And, I don't believe that the ZR1 has heat extractors in the hood ... So, what's the difference here?

Andy ... Has this overheating problem just popped up lately, or has it been a problem ever since you installed the SC on your car? .... Did it overheat last summer with the SC installed?
Old 09-24-2018, 08:03 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Vented hoods barely do anything for heat control. It should be the last thing to be done.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:50 PM
Smokeyjr
Emerging Vendor

Received 597 Likes on 407 Posts

I don't agree with the vented hood...mine has one and when running I have noticed a drop in temperature after I installed a louver in my hood

Quick Reply: 07 Z51 Edelbrock supercharger overheating