C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any interest in bringing back an APS Style kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 07:50 AM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Any interest in bringing back an APS Style kit?

The APS twin kits back several years ago certainly were a nice addition to the community. Where as extremely well thought out, the C6 platform had some quirks that posed some issues when trying to make bigger power. We are curious if the market here would be seriously interested in seeing a similar kit come back, and if so with some tweaks to overcome some of the issues they had such as the IG turbos.
We have the ability to make this happen if there is enough interest. We would use something along the lines of the APS C5 hot-side for the C6 while adapting the cold side and inlets to those getting rid of the IG turbos. We would look into finding a source for the genuine 20g turbos as well as modified options such as a larger turbine housing, turbine wheel, and billet compressor wheel option. We would switch over to a 44-46mm external wastegate design, along with atmospheric BOV setup. We would ditch the coolant lines, where as nice feel the additional clutter does not promote enough benefit to retain.
We would look to bring it back in a more simplified version, enhanced to be a bit more raw and capable of more power than the original. In the end the goal would be a kit that still has the OEM-like fit and finish the APS systems had, but with slightly more motorhead options with slightly larger modified turbos, larger wastegates, and louder atmospheric BOVs. The setup would be most ideal for engines up to roughly 390ci and power levels up to roughly 1000-1100 rwhp. This would be a kit geared towards the street cars that want a well thought out fit and finish retaining all accessories, not all out max power potential or for large CI engines. We would use stainless braided oil feed and drain lines with a Turbowerx return pump supplying a fully bolt on harness for it making it very simple for the user. Manifolds most likely would be a thick wall tubular stainless design, unless demand was there enough to justify the castings for a cast design, fully warrantied of course!
If you would be seriously interested, please post up. If enough interest we will consider doing what we can to make it happen!
Old 09-03-2018, 08:04 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

You should know better of how this is going to work.

A ton of people will say yes, of course they want it. Then when it comes out, and is $7k+, they will all say never mind, they would have wanted it only if it was $1500 and will just buy a $3500-4000 blower kit instead. If you actually do this, you should collect deposits, and not just go off people posting yes I'm interested.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:07 AM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

Valid point, I should point out that the price point would be $4999 including:
Complete kit with oiling system and Turbowerx return pump
Turbos with larger billet compressor wheels, larger turbine wheel, larger AR housing
44mm wastegates
BOVs

If we get interest to do it, before anything is done we would attack it with a group style setup taking deposits, and final payments due when kits are ready to ship. We are simply here trying to decide if beginning the project is worth it or not.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:40 AM
GaragedLS2
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think at that price point youre going to spur a lot of interest. If I wasnt twin'd already, I would have most likely opted for this. Its a good center point cost wise. You basically have On3 and CX Racing to compete with but those are both lower budget kits that dont offer the type of support and service you do. Then you have the $10k kits which most people either cant afford or dont want to fork out the cash for. at 5k, this seems like a very viable option. Me personally, I always loved the APS kit. I feel it was a bit over-engineered, but thats better than it falling apart and not working. Youve already said you were trying to tackle what are the most common problems with the kit. APS kits sold, I dont see why this wouldnt at half the price and with the flaws fixed. C6's are getting more affordable so I feel like you'd have a good market of people willing to spend that dough on a turbo kit.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:46 AM
c5wolf
Melting Slicks

Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

At 5000 you should sell a lot. I’m already twin turbo but still in for more info as it develops
Old 09-04-2018, 01:34 PM
camarokidz28
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

At that price point I think you would generate a decent amount of interest. At 5k, it's closer to a budget turbo kit than most of the others on the market. In my opinion, what would really sell a lot of kits would be a few things:

A. Fitment. Every company acts like their kits are bolt on, but we know a lot of these kits end up needing massaging, or even cut/welding. This deters a lot of people who would rather slap a blower on and go. If things are going to need to be changed, maybe because of higher power goals than what the kit is supposed to support, I would just want to know up front. It always sucks spending a decent chunk of money to have unexpected problems.

B. Proven results. Being able to see a kit on a stock motor LS3 or LS7 with dyno numbers or even better, track times, would be amazing. We all know dyno numbers can be misleading/manipulated.

C. PICTURES (And videos if possible)!!! Seriously. I don't know how so many kits are sold with so few pictures. The amount of time I've spent looking up some companies turbo kits and finding very, very little has always been disheartening. For example, there is VERY little info about the on3 kits for our cars. There are ~2 build threads with their kit on here, and 1 was a second hand kit with parts missing. Honestly, it has been an invaluable source of info though because it is almost the ONLY information on the kit. I think it's pretty shitty that in order to find detailed pictures I have to find a customer who did a build thread. I've always thought it would be great for the company to take time to take pictures and/or videos on their build car. I have spent a lot more money with certain vendors who do great how to videos or detailed pictures because information is invaluable to me. If I'm looking to spend 5k+ and there are 3 very basic pictures that leave me with more questions than answers, there is no way I am going to pull the trigger.

D. Instructions. Detailed install instructions with pictures adds a ton of value. I know most companies suggest having a shop install their parts/kit, but I like wrenching on my own car even though I'm not a certified professional. I enjoy it, and enjoy learning about the car along with knowing I take the extra time to do small things correctly that others may skip over.

Buying a turbo kit for these cars versus a blower is taking a risk. It isn't cheaper and the power limit with the blowers are already based on what the motor can handle. The reason people are going twins is to be different and to be able to have different boost levels in order to adjust it (maybe I'm missing something here, but these 2 things are the biggest reasons I personally would go twins over a blower). This being said, the risk needs to be justified. So far my favorite kit has been UPPs, and almost entirely because it is the only top mount kit. It's absolutely gorgeous under the hood. My only issue is price (Not that it isn't worth it!!), it's just out of reach for my budget and I wouldn't spend that much on a kit unless I were doing a full build front to back.

I rambled a lot, but hopefully this is helpful. I've checked out what you have to offer and have a friend that used your kit for an LS2 in a C5 that I've been following to see how it performs. I've considered selling my car solely to change setups and build something with twins.

Last edited by camarokidz28; 09-04-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:50 PM
CNB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Good price point for the system you're describing.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:21 PM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

If I didn't already spend a year building my twin turbo car I would have loved one of your kits. My car is currently at "the shop inc" where jarod (sketchyvert) and kyle (unicorn) cars get tuned that both are running your kits. After looking at their cars and hearing what they have to say about them one of your kits is definitely worth the price.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:32 PM
Shadd
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sounds exactly like what im looking for for my off-season project. I know you just put the feelers out, but any idea of eta?
Old 09-04-2018, 04:59 PM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

Camarokidz28 : This is a kit that was already on the market by another vendor. It was very complete, good fitment, etc etc with many photos and detailed instructions. If you are unfamiliar with it, do a quick search for the APS Twin kit. We would simply be looking at bringing this back to the market with a couple small tweaks where we feel we could enhance it.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:02 PM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

We are getting some good interest and will pursue getting the ball rolling here. Once we have some initial kits done, confirmed and tested on vehicles, we will approach this in a group buy form. This would be something we would like to do this winter!
Old 09-05-2018, 03:55 PM
Shikaitsu
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Damn I just spent almost 8 on my TT kit haha. Subbed for pictures though.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:30 PM
SpeedRite
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Would this be similar to what DKT was producing?

​​​​​​APS made two different kits for the c6. A base model kit and a Z06 kit. Base model using internally gated turbos and nearly all tubing was silicon and the Z06 kit using turbos similar to TTIX, 5 bolt downpipe and internal gate "style" wastegate port, with all tubing being stainless. DKT has a source of attaining those z06 style turbos up to 67/66 precision turbos, I believe that's the largest. But they no longer sell a complete kit. Manifolds and downpipes can be found for sale occasionally, but you'd have to fabricate everything else. Which kit will yours be designed after?

I had the base APS kit on my car. I removed it due to the power limits of the base kit and the overheating issues caused by pushing the kit passed the designed power limits. I made just over 700HP/TQ at peak power, but boost wouldn't hold at higher rpm. It dropped off causing a 50hp drop and 200 TQ drop over 5000 rpm.

I purchased DKT manifolds and downpipes but ended up selling those for a TTIX kit to save myself fabrication headaches. Now I'm fighting overboost issues with the TTIX kit.

That's a very long way of saying, I'd be interested once seeing the kit in action and knowing the issues with other kits have been addressed. I've already contemplated ditching the TTIX kit for a blower because of the headaches this kit has already caused.

Hell, if my most recent round of modifications doesn't fix the overboost issue (she be back together in a few weeks), I may even be interested in being a test dummy!
​​​
Old 09-12-2018, 08:36 AM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

We would be bringing back the APS design with a few tweaks. For the C6 system one would be the use of the C5 manifolds, which use the external gates and the larger turbos. The C6Z06 system used these manifolds as well I believe.
We will be using the C5 manifolds, include larger turbos, external 44mm gates, better atmospheric BOVs, removing the coolant clutter, making the oil drain setup a little nicer, and a few other nice tweaks and enhancements
Old 09-12-2018, 10:27 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

You should get plenty of interest if you can do that for $5K
Old 09-12-2018, 12:20 PM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Superman09
The APS twin kits back several years ago certainly were a nice addition to the community. Where as extremely well thought out, the C6 platform had some quirks that posed some issues when trying to make bigger power. We are curious if the market here would be seriously interested in seeing a similar kit come back, and if so with some tweaks to overcome some of the issues they had such as the IG turbos.
We have the ability to make this happen if there is enough interest. We would use something along the lines of the APS C5 hot-side for the C6 while adapting the cold side and inlets to those getting rid of the IG turbos. We would look into finding a source for the genuine 20g turbos as well as modified options such as a larger turbine housing, turbine wheel, and billet compressor wheel option. We would switch over to a 44-46mm external wastegate design, along with atmospheric BOV setup. We would ditch the coolant lines, where as nice feel the additional clutter does not promote enough benefit to retain.
We would look to bring it back in a more simplified version, enhanced to be a bit more raw and capable of more power than the original. In the end the goal would be a kit that still has the OEM-like fit and finish the APS systems had, but with slightly more motorhead options with slightly larger modified turbos, larger wastegates, and louder atmospheric BOVs. The setup would be most ideal for engines up to roughly 390ci and power levels up to roughly 1000-1100 rwhp. This would be a kit geared towards the street cars that want a well thought out fit and finish retaining all accessories, not all out max power potential or for large CI engines. We would use stainless braided oil feed and drain lines with a Turbowerx return pump supplying a fully bolt on harness for it making it very simple for the user. Manifolds most likely would be a thick wall tubular stainless design, unless demand was there enough to justify the castings for a cast design, fully warrantied of course!
If you would be seriously interested, please post up. If enough interest we will consider doing what we can to make it happen!

You would sell a LOT of TT kits if they are nicely made. The APS/ TTIX kits are very nice.... I love the TTIX kits and have used them many times but they are like 13k and dealer cost is like $400 below that haha.... So not an easy sell but they are a very nice cast manifold etc.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:49 PM
MRSUPRA
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

If I were looking for a turbo kit, the turbo's would have to be sized right (not 20G turbos). And the waste gates would be routed back into the exhaust.
Good luck, $5k is a great price for a Corvette turbo kit.

Get notified of new replies

To Any interest in bringing back an APS Style kit?

Old 09-13-2018, 11:55 AM
PuckDracon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I would imagine a ton of interest at that price point.

I was thinking of going A&A like many people do due to the price:performance but my last car was a turbo and I love the off boost manners for a DD with a turbo vs the "always on kill" blower setups. I am not in the position to put a deposit down right now for one, but I can say with very high certainty that I would be very interested in something like that in the next year if its really sub $5500.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:21 PM
`Jhymel
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love one of those kits, whats your timeline? I am very close to pulling the trigger on a supercharger, but would wait if your 3-5 months out.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:39 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by PuckDracon
I would imagine a ton of interest at that price point.

I was thinking of going A&A like many people do due to the price:performance but my last car was a turbo and I love the off boost manners for a DD with a turbo vs the "always on kill" blower setups. I am not in the position to put a deposit down right now for one, but I can say with very high certainty that I would be very interested in something like that in the next year if its really sub $5500.
I think you have the centri and pd kits mixed up when it comes to “off boost manner”.

Anywho back to the topic at hand. Good luck with the kits. Always nice to see a local company have success.

Quick Reply: Any interest in bringing back an APS Style kit?