C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchased a Maggi 'Heartbeat' SC - Does it include a Fuel Pump Booster ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 07:23 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Purchased a Maggi 'Heartbeat' SC - Does it include a Fuel Pump Booster ?

I just ordered a Magnuson Heartbeat LS3 supercharger from TPS Motorsports with the 'tune delete' (no hand held tuner).

I asked the sales guy at TPS if this supercharger kit came with a fuel pump booster such as a Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump.

I was told that it did in fact include a fuel pump booster, but it was another brand ... not a Kenne Bell.

To be honest, I did not think this kit even came with any type of fuel pump booster .... Is TPS blowing smoke my way?

Thanks,
Ron
Old 09-12-2018, 09:03 AM
Garymorris
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

No it does not include a booster unless TPS is adding it or something.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:05 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Gary ...

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think it came with any kind of fuel pessure booster.

I don't think TPS is adding anything to the kit ... In fact, the TPS sales guy told me that the supercharger would be drop-shipped directly from the manufacturer.

With the stock 96mm drive pulley, I believe this SC will only make about 6 PSI boost on my LS3 / A6 that only has a set of headers for mods ... I guess at that level of boost, it should not go lean with the supplied LS9 injectors (no need for a Boost-A-Pump).

I was thinking about maybe stepping up to a 93mm drive pulley which I hope would make a maximum of 7 PSI boost ......... I wonder if I could safely get by with not using a Boost-A-Pump at this level ??

Ron,
Old 09-12-2018, 05:03 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

I have a low mile BAP if you want one.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:37 PM
Garymorris
Instructor

I'm not sure when you will run into the stock pump limit. I went straight to an 87mm pulley and 1050x injectors with a BAP when I did my install. Now I'm on an 81mm pulley. The fuel system doesn't care what boost your making, only the power output. I doubt I would have hit 6psi on the stock pulley but I'm also running a cam and at altitude...I only made 7 psi with the 87mm and now just a hair under 9psi with the 81mm.

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Gary ...

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think it came with any kind of fuel pessure booster.

I don't think TPS is adding anything to the kit ... In fact, the TPS sales guy told me that the supercharger would be drop-shipped directly from the manufacturer.

With the stock 96mm drive pulley, I believe this SC will only make about 6 PSI boost on my LS3 / A6 that only has a set of headers for mods ... I guess at that level of boost, it should not go lean with the supplied LS9 injectors (no need for a Boost-A-Pump).

I was thinking about maybe stepping up to a 93mm drive pulley which I hope would make a maximum of 7 PSI boost ......... I wonder if I could safely get by with not using a Boost-A-Pump at this level ??

Ron,
The following users liked this post:
Turbo6TA (09-14-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 07:16 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Thanks again Gary ...

Well, I am at sea level here in Florida, and the only mods to my 2011 GS is a set of Pfadt 1 3/4" headers with cats ... and of course a dyno tune.

It's an A6 transmission car that made 371 RWHP on the DynoJet when bone stock, and then made 405 RWHP after installing the headers and a dyno tune .... These dyno pulls were made on the same DynoJet.

I am hoping for maybe 530 RWHP after installing the SC with the slightly smaller 93mm drive pulley ... That's an increase of 125 RWHP over what I have now (Stock A6 / LS3 with headers and tune).
Old 09-13-2018, 01:33 AM
rajahhindi
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Gary, Are you still on a bap with the 81mm pulley? And if so, which Bap? The kenne bell 17.5volt or the 20v one?
Old 09-13-2018, 03:22 AM
darknit
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a brand new kenne bell bap and racetronix harnesses I'd sell if someone is interested... bap came with my a&a supercharger kit, but I ended up installing duel in-tank pumps instead.... also new ls2 height 60lb injectors...
Old 09-13-2018, 10:03 AM
Garymorris
Instructor

Yes I'm still running the MSD BAP with a racetronix harness. I'm not sure if it's the best choice because when I talked to MSD tech support they said you can't connect it directly to the alternator like racetronix does because the voltage fluctuates too much and it will burn the BAP out. I asked racetronix and of course they didn't reply (great product but worst service ever...no matter what the issue is they just blame the user or ignore the question). So far it's working fine with no issue so who knows...lots of people have wired MSD's to the alternator so...

I have no sign of dropping fuel pressure but I'm also running meth injection so that takes some load off the fuel system at WOT.

Originally Posted by rajahhindi
Gary, Are you still on a bap with the 81mm pulley? And if so, which Bap? The kenne bell 17.5volt or the 20v one?
rajahhindi (09-14-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 10:16 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

I have a question for any of you folks that have installed the 'Heartbeat' SC on your C6 by yourself ....

In my case, I am paying a local shop to install and pin a new harmonic balancer on my 2011 GS / A6.

After getting the HB installed by the shop, I plan on installing the SC myself.

Question ... Working alone on this in my garage, about how many hours do you think it would take me to install the SC kit (working at an easy pace) ? ?

Note ... I realize that I will also need to spend time for the removal and reinstall of the front bumper cover in order to mount the Heartbeat's front air to air intercooler.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:48 AM
Garymorris
Instructor

Hard to say without knowing your skill level and tools etc. I installed mine myself but also did a cam at the same time so it was a lot more involved. Pinning the crank is actually super easy if you move the steering rack over. You don'y need to remove the bumper as you can slide the exchanger in from the bottom I believe but again, I had mine off to make pulling the rad and everything easier to get the front cover off and cam in. I would guess that blower only I could do in one really long day or 2 casual days. Magnuson says 10-12 hrs which seems pretty close.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:15 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Gary ...

Again, thanks a bunch for the info.

I wonder if Magnuson figures pinning the harmonic balancer in there time estimate? ... I am thinking they don't.

If I have access to a rack, I would more than likely pin the crank myself, but no rack in my garage ... And, as far as I am concerned, pulling that steering rack is just one big pain in the **** job !

Disclaimer: Maybe I am just getting too old to be doing a lot of crawling under the car anymore
Old 09-14-2018, 05:22 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
I have a question for any of you folks that have installed the 'Heartbeat' SC on your C6 by yourself ....

In my case, I am paying a local shop to install and pin a new harmonic balancer on my 2011 GS / A6.

After getting the HB installed by the shop, I plan on installing the SC myself.

Question ... Working alone on this in my garage, about how many hours do you think it would take me to install the SC kit (working at an easy pace) ? ?

Note ... I realize that I will also need to spend time for the removal and reinstall of the front bumper cover in order to mount the Heartbeat's front air to air intercooler.
Congrats on the purchase. You’ll love your car after this.
First off, buy the Racetronix FP harness and BAP.
Secondly, don’t waste time with the 93mm, go with either the 90mm or even an 87mm. You want to aim for around 7-8psi of boost (with the stock cam) which is where this blower wakes up.
It will take you a couple of days for you to install it, proceeding carefully. The hardest and most time consuming and aggravating part of the install is going to be when you have to install the two rearmost bolts in the lid, both of which go in from the bottom. You need to keep the coil bracket off and go from the right side and snake your forearm in behind the blower and the firewall and you need to use a 1/4” drive 10mm shallow socket on a 1/4” ratchet (this is necessary, since the bolts go into a recess with a shoulder around the hole that prohibits the use of a wrench to tighten them - unless you use a very small wrench or some kind of box end wrench that can stay on the boot head when you tighten the bolt). Remember to use blue lock tire on these bolts and snug them down in sequence and then when the other bolts are torqued, pull those two down as hard as you can - because you’re not going to get enough force on the ratchet to wring them off and you’re sure as hell not going to get a torque wrench in there. If you have large forearms, try to find a friend that you don’t mind losing who doesn’t have large forearms, just to do this job, lol.
If there’s a flaw in the design of this blower, it’s those those two bolts. As far as doing by yourself is concerned, I did mine, by myself, but you really need help lifting that blower into position, because that sucker is heavy and you have to lean over the car and hold it up and ease it down while aligning it. Not good for the back. Or you can do it yourself and just make an appointment with a back doctor from now.
Believe it or not, once you’ve figured out how to pull the rack, the hardest part will be getting the bolt holes to line up when you’re putting it back in. No ****. I really fought with mine the first time I pulled it out to pin the stock HB. By the time I did the cam change and installed the IW balancer, it was already a lot easier. When it pulled it the third time (because I phuqued up and installed the crank snout seal backwards), it took me like 20-30 minutes to pull the rack out. How did I do it? From the top of the car, standing over the nose, with the hood removed, with my car lowered down on the lift. Yes, I know, I used a lift, but I did all this with the car set in position at a height that was equivalent to being on jack stands. First I used a bungee and wrapped it around all of the hoses etc. on the passenger side and pulled them up out of the way and hung them there (because they truly make your life difficult when pulling the rack the way I did). Then, after letting go the tie rod ends and pulling the two rack bolts and the steering shaft and hard lines and moving them out of the way, I leaned over the front of the car, lift and twisted the rack until I could shove it as far as it would go over to the passenger side, rested it down, then took the left side tie rod and pulled it upwards so it was pointing in the air and, holding on to that so it would drop on the fender, I used the other hand to lift the rack right out by angling it and pulling it up and over the left fender. I couldn’t believe it myself that it was that easy. I believe I posted pictures and did a bit of write up on the monster hijacked Magnuson Heartbeat thread.
Hope that helps. You can always shoot me a PM or post back on here if you have any questions. Good luck.
Turbo6TA (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 09:35 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

CI GS ...

Thanks a bunch for the info.

I will certainly get a friend to help me lift the SC when we need to set it on top of the engine.

Get notified of new replies

To Purchased a Maggi 'Heartbeat' SC - Does it include a Fuel Pump Booster ?

Quick Reply: Purchased a Maggi 'Heartbeat' SC - Does it include a Fuel Pump Booster ?