C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Strange sound all of a sudden from 1500sl w only 175 miles.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 09:44 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Removing the air filter is a track only scenario and risky at that. Obviously this is not common to happen so you must consider the common denominator that only persists to your vehicle. Let me know if we can help, but Paxton most likely will not assist in this problem but I can try.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:48 AM
DOUG @ ECS

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321

Originally Posted by paisa427
I wish I could go twin turbo( motor is built for boost) but Due to dire circumstances $ wise I needed this blower to last awhile. Now it’s sounds like I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place. Car will be sitting for a good time if the blower is shot.
I speak from plenty of experience when I say if you think a supercharger was troublesome in a Corvette, you have not seen anything yet with a twin turbo. Nothing but a head ache, doesn't matter who builds it, the Corvette platform simply doesn't yield a turbo well IMHO.

Oh and you would be under warranty if you just had it repaired unless deemed "self inflicted".
Old 09-18-2018, 02:52 PM
paisa427
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
I speak from plenty of experience when I say if you think a supercharger was troublesome in a Corvette, you have not seen anything yet with a twin turbo. Nothing but a head ache, doesn't matter who builds it, the Corvette platform simply doesn't yield a turbo well IMHO.

Oh and you would be under warranty if you just had it repaired unless deemed "self inflicted".
thanks for the reply and sorry about the rant. But I’ve had nothing but problems with this kit. had this blower set up since 2012, shop who originally installed it said they received a base c6 kit and not a z06. That shop was a headache to work with(closed down but was fast Motorsports in Woodstock Il) took almost a year(now 2013) to to get everything ready they kept going back and forth with ECS because the kit doesn’t install correctly finally they say everything is worked out. Went to the track Made 1 pass down the 1/4mi and the belt jumped and ripped the alternator pulley nearly off in mid end of 1/4 mi. Towed to the shop Get a new belt says it stays on the dyno. go back to the track 1 week later first pass spin bad on the 1-2 shift let off and coasted back, pop the hood and the belt jumped off 2 ribs. her to my current shop(geared up Motorsports) he had a headache getting the belts to stay on he was back and forth with ecs. Spring of 2014 get her back and she runs great for a few thousand miles at 8psi then motor blows. I always have bad luck, and when cruising on the highway in 6th piston 5 disintegrated. Saved to build the motor(dart ls next iron block ) had problems with the motor leaking(2016). Now it’s last year motor finally right. Go to try and max out the blower now and use pulley combo ecs says to use. but the blower is still tossing belts left and right. Turns out the blower went bad had a bad seal and was giving shaftplay in and out. Pay to get it rebuilt. Get new one same problems again keeps tossing belts. Ecs and geared up say I have to go 8 rib flip drive and the the other expensive parts to run right. But and install all the extra fancy stuff and Still tossing belts on the dyno. Sent blower back to Ecs says it was over spun, wanted to charge me to get it rebuilt. I was like no way it only had dyno miles on it. Go back and forth and they cover it under warranty. Get back the blower and the same problems tossing belts off. My mechanic at this time is going back and forth with ecs as to why keeps eating belts. Followed all their instructions had to shim it or something don’t remever all the details my head hurts trying to remember itvsl. takes forever and now belts are fine shop talks with ecs and they say the same pulleys would be fine. Goes on the dyno and it throws the belt. Send blower back to ecs and they say it was over spun. Want to charge me to repair it. Now I’m livid! I say way no way! This point takes everything I have to not go off on everyone. Go back and forth because it’s still under the year long warranty. Ecs says to use a larger pulley to keep it from over spinning. Now everything is good, no belts thrown when tuning it. Drove her around the shop for 10 min and she is running like a champ. Order replacement blowe belts and head home on Friday night. Did l small pull in 3rd from 45-100. Pulled great stopped for gas and the belt is on. Awesome. Dive her for the night just cruising then the next day I was cruising her around made 1 run from 45-140 shifting at 63ish rpms she runs great drive for a few min and pull into a gas station and while idling waiting for a friend to catch up and get the hud warning coolant temp to high. **** her off. Pop hood belt is still on and overflow tank is steaming . Cool her down drive her home 3 miles. Notice fans don’t turn on. Drove it to my other friends shop. Got melted connector. Next day he bypassed the connector and while idling in his shop making sure the fans tunrned and stayed on , after about 20/30 he heard the car tone change and noticed its coming from the blower little by little it got louder then he turns her off. Then the next morning I started her up took the vid and shut her off.

What does Ecs recommend I do. He took off the belt and turned it by hand, I’m going to head to the shop now to take pics and vids
Old 09-18-2018, 03:03 PM
paisa427
Instructor

sorry but still wish I would have gone twin turbo. I didn’t have the money was going to save while I did a h/c setup, but tuner told me the ecs blower kit on a vette is the way to go. So I baught the kit and Sorry, but it was a major mistake I made buying this kit. It’s been beyond a nightmare. Cost me so much In Extra parts and down time alone it’s not even funny then for the blower to go bad again just idling. Come on you can see in the vid. What do you guys think is the problem from swing and hearing the vid.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:11 PM
paisa427
Instructor

Sent my tuner the pic of the wheel of the rebuilt supercharger. he said the fins look exactly like they did before I picked her up and after the noise bad noise. So no visual differences on the compressor wheel.

Last edited by paisa427; 09-18-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:46 PM
paisa427
Instructor

Also when I said rebuilt the past 2times they exchanged blowers so my I would not have to wait the 6 + weeks it takes to get back so thanks for the quick tur around time.

Last edited by paisa427; 09-18-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:51 PM
paisa427
Instructor

Removing the air filter is a track only scenario and risky at that. Obviously this is not common to happen so you must consider the common denominator that only persists to your vehicle. Let me know if we can help, but Paxton most likely will not assist in this problem but I can try.
thanks
here is the vid of me moving it by hand.
also whe I removed the lower inter cooler pipe oil was coming out the supercharger so much that it’s leaking into my lower inter cooler pipe
Old 09-18-2018, 04:55 PM
paisa427
Instructor

Pic of lower ic pipe see where the supercharger oil leaked past the gasket.

Last edited by paisa427; 09-18-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:13 PM
paisa427
Instructor

Pic of dip stick oil is full and clean.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:38 PM
paisa427
Instructor

How much oil was coming out the over fill drain

How much oil the blower was leaking out the over fill drain.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:00 PM
paisa427
Instructor

Hey ECS what do you guys recommend I do?
Old 09-19-2018, 01:37 PM
DOUG @ ECS

Originally Posted by paisa427
Hey ECS what do you guys recommend I do?
Send it in to Paxton, you should be under warranty if it was done in the last year. If they deny the claim contact us and I'll see I can help.

Sorry to hear the original shop you worked with closed, maybe that's an indication of why you had so many issues with the install. Regardless though lets work forward on resolving this for you.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:22 PM
paisa427
Instructor

Send it in to Paxton, you should be under warranty if it was done in the last year. If they deny the claim contact us and I'll see I can help.

Sorry to hear the original shop you worked with closed, maybe that's an indication of why you had so many issues with the install. Regardless though lets work forward on resolving this for you.
Thanks me too, won’t it be easier to send it to you guys at ecs as my tuner only worked with you guys. I would prefer to send it to you guys. .i knew the risk of running no filter and If it’s that well I’ll man up and say it’s my fault. But everyone else who has seen the vids say it sounds like a bearing issue. But either way I can’t run the standard intake as an oil catch can is mounted there. a filter out there that will hook directly to the turbo and clear everything like the radiator because I had my oil catch cans installed where the filter goes? Or I will just make a custom one if need be.
Here’s my story
In 06 I had my 03 Mitsubishi evo built. I Live in the Chicagoland area went with the best shop in the area. They are world renowned now @M$. and I had random problems they have never seen when they built my evo. Casting flaw in the block lead to the motor to crack a water jacket at 500 miles. Then electrical and mechanical parts failing. Had a meth injection back fire blow a water jacket and 2000mi later that motor blew. Piston in cylinder 2 disintegrated. Botj motors Ams gave me everything at cost but out of pocket I stilljad to pay like $6k. I had the Exedy tripe carbon clutch which the time was like $4K or more and that went out at 1000 miles. HKS said The reason it went bad was because I was not getting the carbon clutch discs hot enough(as in I didn’t beat on it. I was driving like a grandma breaking in the motors)so because I was not getting the carbon hot enough to get sticky so instead of biting harder it was too cool while cruising and it just wasted away the entire front carbon clutch disc.was told expect the same so I had to get a triple ceramic clutch. Exedy did not want to cover the clutch saying it was my fault after @M$ went back and forth I got the tripe ceramic clutch but I had to pay $1000 for the exchange. Then all the electrical and random small and large mechanical provlems. I kept having them scratching their heads as to why so many random parts that are not even relate to each other would go out or not working properly. And that’s just the start of it. I would get her running and something would give. Due to the clutch problems. Had to get a new input shaft too. Turns out they just made a billet version. Awesome got that one. Then I had trans and t case go when the upgraded billet imput shaft snap clean I’m half, trans shop said it looked like it was cut with professional precision and it shot out one side flying in opposite directions. Got a new one then finally after 4 years of little things going out she runs like a champ then trans goes in 2011 sit there til spring of 2013.
Get Z06 dec 2010. Stock everything expect on C5Z fronts with m/t 275. Out back in 90 degree temps with Humidity 100% da was like 4000dt and was pulling timing like crazy ran a best past time of 11.673 with a 118.82 mph. all my lsx buddies are telling me to go to this new guy who works from home but does the best tunes around. I do intake full exhaust and a tune. Do fullexhaust intake and tune ran 11.0 at 128 with 470 whp and I was trapping 100mph In the 1/8th . Do a Fasterproms ported intake manifold and ram air scoop from Carlos at quality motorsports. picks up 20whp and torque at the whp (490/480 on dyno he uses) the z06 air scoop from Carlos at quality motorsports worked and had to add fuel from 5k-redline. Did awesecom the dyno and at wot pulls but at cruising the manage traction and active hadleing would go off and then the car stutterd and bucks pulls timing I felt like I was riding a mechanical bull. Took off scoop and noticed the active traction and handling go away but she is feeling slow past 5k. Go back to the track and run a 10. 86 126.xx mph but at the 1/8 I trapped 102. Shouls havecended up picllimf up 28mph on the bach half and I may have of been able to go 10.5x at best if not a 10.6 or 10.7 as I hit the same 60ft and should have trapped 130. (Blew trans in evo a few months ago). I took my Z to the new ls shop my tuner opened in fall of 2011.to. He convinced me to do the cam and blower set up . Nothing but nightmares dropped it off nov of 2011. Took til may/june to get her back and nothing but problems surging and leaking oil from the valve covers. Problems til october. And have belt jump issues she keeps, jumping a few ribs when I drive her. Finally should be all Good to go. Go to the track 1st pass belt jumps in 4th gear and alternator pulley gets nearly ripped off. Get new alternator go back the track the next week( saw my buddy who at the time I didn’t know but just quit at a famous lsx shop in the area to open his own shop) make 1 run at the track, spun bad on the 1-2 and let off. Get back to the parking areas and the belt is off 2ribs. .
my buddy says he’s worked on and installed several ecs kits says he can fix it. So(he knows Mitsubishi’s too he had a Dsm that’s how I met him) Works All winter to get my evo and z06 working in proper order order. Both evo runs great til May 2013 after 7 years and 30,000 miles the turbo blew. , he also had night mares getting everything alligned right and with the belts staying on for it right fall of 2013. She is running like champ. Then may June/ 2014 motor blew.(had to save up) Got everything back together in 2016/7 would make a pull on the dyno and bye bye belt. 2 blower over spun on they dyno using ecs’s Recommendations. We put a bigger pulley and now this.
Please help.
since the current shop who did the work always talked to you guys
Old 09-20-2018, 07:03 PM
paisa427
Instructor

Thanks to Doug for the great customer service so far. I will be sending the blower ASAP.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:53 AM
paisa427
Instructor

Thanks to Doug for the help, so the blower can be expedited on the repair.
According to Paxton the reason the blower went out was either it being over revived and spun or I have too much tension on the supercharger. Willing to give me a discount but this blower is under warranty and only has 175 miles on it.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:03 PM
paisa427
Instructor

My side of my things
Old 10-12-2018, 11:50 AM
DOUG @ ECS

Looks like they are giving you a decent discount for knowing it was over spun, I hope my email to them helped but I do not think the 1500 is best suited for the RPM you are spinning the blower. If you go oil fed it increases the RPM limit on the blower. At best I would think about that, or going to a 2200HD since you're pushing it to max.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:36 PM
paisa427
Instructor

Looks like they are giving you a decent discount for knowing it was over spun, I hope my email to them helped but I do not think the 1500 is best suited for the RPM you are spinning the blower. If you go oil fed it increases the RPM limit on the blower. At best I would think about that, or going to a 2200HD since you're pushing it to max.
Thanks Doug,
Heres the thing i am in bad financial crisis and i can't/will not pay for a blower that is under warranty and was not over spun! the kit only lets me tighten the belt to a limit. Like said i catnt affair to pay for an upgraded supercharger. how much would that even cost? I will have to drop and tap the pan for the upgraded blower,then install and dyne tuning that has to be done, etc. i just can't afford it. now its mid october in chicago i won't be able to run my car till next year by time i get the blower back
I swear it was not over spun. with a 3.47 my max rpm will be 6620 . butt with the 3.6 pulley i should have been able to rev it higher, but it was on the break in tune to make sure she running right and had the rev limiter to 6400. what is the size of the stock crank pulley? Also it its due to too much tension,on the pulley?!?!
its on a flip drive! the main pulley on the supercharger the crank pulley and the other idler pulley and thats it. How can i have too much tension the blower pulley? it can only be tightened so much because the bracket stops it for getting any tigher and thats it. come on now its over spun or too much tension! ugh So if i tighten the belt properly is a reason for failure so i over tighten and break it or keep it loose and nothing but belt slip. lose lose for me. because to them it was over spun the old slider went and now i have a junk blower! This is the 3rd or 4th supercharger to go out. please help, I've been as honest with everything my car has been down for so long because of this, and to hear i have to pay to get the blower fixed!
come on this is not right its not! Its a rebuilt unit with only 175 miles and its supposed to have a year long warranty!
angry and heart broken again! uhhhhh! please not this again. like i said this is the 3rd or 4th one to blow its guts out.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:01 PM
silvrhand
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

if you are in a financial crisis, why are you working on a blower on a supercharged corvette? Park it and wait it's winter in Chicago?

Quick Reply: Help Strange sound all of a sudden from 1500sl w only 175 miles.