C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built motor for boost (oil question)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 07:43 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

That's an excellent podcast...
It's not so simple - that interview was great.

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Old 09-21-2018, 08:01 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Chiselchst
That's an excellent podcast...
It's not so simple - that interview was great.
Amazing. They always have smart guys on it. I learn a lot from them.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:18 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by JetstreamGS
Shell Rotella T or Chevron Delo diesel oil. Cheap and has highest zinc content.
yeah that shell 20W50 **** is what helped screw mine up, maybe the 5W30 would work for an LS7 but I’ll pass on it all together, zinc content......not going down that road. I’ll be using Amsoil and mobile one 5W30 only.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:20 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

I run only Driven LS30 at the recommendation of the builder. Never an issue.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:00 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

I run only Driven LS30 at the recommendation of the builder. Never an issue.
Driven LS 30 scored high in wear protection when the test were done on 250 different oils. That’s where I made my decisions on oil. It’s a good read, it’s on this forum if you search for it, lots of hard facts no bullshit marketing ploys. What I found Interesting is that shell rotella with all this amazing zinc didn’t even make top 250!
Old 09-21-2018, 10:09 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by 73DBG
Driven LS 30 scored high in wear protection when the test were done on 250 different oils. That’s where I made my decisions on oil. It’s a good read, it’s on this forum if you search for it, lots of hard facts no bullshit marketing ploys. What I found Interesting is that shell rotella with all this amazing zinc didn’t even make top 250!
Thanks. Don't need to read it. I trust the builder, one of the top in the country, to make that decision.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:27 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Thanks. Don't need to read it. I trust the builder, one of the top in the country, to make that decision.
I wasn’t trying to suggest you read or don’t read anything honestly. Just throwing out there that it’s a good read and great source of information with test data only and that’s how I came to my decision on what oil I’d run. I was also just stating factual data that these test showed Gibbs LS 30 did very well, so did a lot of other brands. My engine builder likes and uses non synthetic for short period break in. You can go down that rabbit hole if you’ve got time to kill, you’ll find opinions from very credible camps that go both ways, synthetic doesn’t let piston rings set properly....or it doesn’t matter conventional or synthetic, parts intended to wear will wear regardless. I too will go with what gives my builder warm and fuzzies.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:46 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by 73DBG
I wasn’t trying to suggest you read or don’t read anything honestly. Just throwing out there that it’s a good read and great source of information with test data only and that’s how I came to my decision on what oil I’d run. I was also just stating factual data that these test showed Gibbs LS 30 did very well, so did a lot of other brands. My engine builder likes and uses non synthetic for short period break in. You can go down that rabbit hole if you’ve got time to kill, you’ll find opinions from very credible camps that go both ways, synthetic doesn’t let piston rings set properly....or it doesn’t matter conventional or synthetic, parts intended to wear will wear regardless. I too will go with what gives my builder warm and fuzzies.
Should use break in oil for break in. Give that podcast a listen. Worth the time.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:25 AM
playtoy
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie333
question on what oil everybody is using in there built motor boosted Z06's? I used to run amsoil 10w40 with my old all motor set up. Should I stick with 10w40 move to 20w50? I am in Texas so the heat is crazy out here. I also will be deleting my oil cooler to help temps get up to operating temps faster and due to having motor failure don't want to re run it and chance anything getting in the new motor.
Wasnt sure if a thicker oil would help keep the temps down without a cooler
I' down in texas also so I understand the heat issue. I am willing to bet that you are going to need to retain an oil cooler of some sort. My oil temps were high when I first had my motor built without a cooler on the car. I ended up putting a cooler in the front fender and it made a huge difference (dropped temps 30-40*). I have a small fan on the cooler that is wired up on a switch so that I can turn it off and on as needed. You can do a cooler set up for a couple hundred bucks and it will be worth it. If you want to get the oil temps up faster do like I do, drive out of the neighborhood in second gear. By the time I get to the highway temps are good.

Quick Reply: Built motor for boost (oil question)