C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built motor for boost (oil question)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 02:30 PM
Richie333
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Built motor for boost (oil question)

question on what oil everybody is using in there built motor boosted Z06's? I used to run amsoil 10w40 with my old all motor set up. Should I stick with 10w40 move to 20w50? I am in Texas so the heat is crazy out here. I also will be deleting my oil cooler to help temps get up to operating temps faster and due to having motor failure don't want to re run it and chance anything getting in the new motor.
Wasnt sure if a thicker oil would help keep the temps down without a cooler
Old 09-16-2018, 04:24 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 209 Posts

I run Amsoil Z-Rod 10W 30 in my forged and boosted LS7.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:29 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by Patriot Six
I run Amsoil Z-Rod 10W 30 in my forged and boosted LS7.
Same here, but you need to talk to who built your motor and what it is setup for.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:27 PM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

I use actually use Amsoil 5w-50. Gets the oil up in the engine quickly when cold but gives me the thicker weight when hot as well as compensate for the larger clearances in the forged motor. You will get a lot of opinions on this I’m sure...

Last edited by TTZ06VETTE; 09-16-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:03 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts

Just curious and would like to run something by you guys that relates to the thread. Would there be problems if 20W50 was used in a boosted LS7 with all factory parts in the bottom end? All bearings completely stock as well. If it would cause issues what would they be? I’m trying to figure out what actually caused some of my engine issues and if anything that was done to the car could be the reasons why this stuff happened. Trying connect the dots basically, now that the engine is out and all the parts can be seen. I’m having trouble trying to figure out if one mistake caused other mistakes or it’s just a fluke, coincidence or plane bad luck.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:58 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

I use Redline 15w50 with the way my aluminum block motor was built. It will vary with clearances.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:29 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Yeah that’s exactly what the machine shop my engine is at said, then pulled up all sorts of different cars and what their main bearing tolerance was and how they varied. It started to get confusing but he point out how much less tolerance there is on and LS7 compared to some time the other engines. Basically LS7 is tight and shouldn’t have 20W50, way to thick.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:28 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 73DBG
Yeah that’s exactly what the machine shop my engine is at said, then pulled up all sorts of different cars and what their main bearing tolerance was and how they varied. It started to get confusing but he point out how much less tolerance there is on and LS7 compared to some time the other engines. Basically LS7 is tight and shouldn’t have 20W50, way to thick.
I have nothing of importance to add to this thread, except your Avatar is great!
Old 09-19-2018, 04:57 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Under-Pressure
I have nothing of importance to add to this thread, except your Avatar is great!
frenchies and corvettes man!! That little dude in my avatar is Denver! Aka Denver the dinosaur 🦖 and a bunch of other names. Best dogs ever! Complete clown show 24/7
Old 09-19-2018, 05:12 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

frenchies and corvettes man!! That little dude in my avatar is Denver! Aka Denver the dinosaur 🦖 and a bunch of other names. Best dogs ever! Complete clown show 24/7
That's great!

We've got a bunch of dogs, all mutts, all rescues, they're the best!

And on topic, I'd listen to your engine builder. 20w50 is generally for older style or worn gas engines IMHO. Unless the engine was intentionally built loose.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:21 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Under-Pressure
That's great!

We've got a bunch of dogs, all mutts, all rescues, they're the best!

And on topic, I'd listen to your engine builder. 20w50 is generally for older style or worn gas engines IMHO. Unless the engine was intentionally built loose.
oh I am listening to the engine builder and I’ve done my own homework, I’m firing all these guys as soon as I drive it out of the shop, already taken all motor assembly away from them and brought everything to the engine builder, spoke with a new LS mechanic/tuner shop that I’ll be doing business with from here on out. These clowns are gonna drop the motor in and the blower all under my supervision and than I’m gone! If the logistics weren’t a nightmare to get the car with no motor and the rest of the pieces out of there I would.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:45 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

oh I am listening to the engine builder and I’ve done my own homework, I’m firing all these guys as soon as I drive it out of the shop, already taken all motor assembly away from them and brought everything to the engine builder, spoke with a new LS mechanic/tuner shop that I’ll be doing business with from here on out. These clowns are gonna drop the motor in and the blower all under my supervision and than I’m gone! If the logistics weren’t a nightmare to get the car with no motor and the rest of the pieces out of there I would.
Very cool! Best of luck!
Old 09-20-2018, 07:59 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

Oil is so controversial, and everyone (including me) has an opinion, yet rarely backed with facts...but that hasn't stopped me yet! LOL. (see my sig)

The heavier oil (20w-50 vs. 10w-30) will result in higher oil pressure, which seems like a good thing. However, oil *flow* is decreased. Thinner oil is easier to pump, and will create less back pressure - or resistance to flow (viscosity is a measurement which determines the vis by the resistance to flow in controlled conditions). When the viscosity increases, it is more difficult to pump, so the pressure increases. A thinner oil will flow better, thus having better circulation at a lower pressure. In addition (using thicker oil), on cold start up (where many claim 90% of engine wear occurs) the oil circulation is reduced.

But I agree with the input to consult with the builder.

Just curious and would like to run something by you guys that relates to the thread. Would there be problems if 20W50 was used in a boosted LS7 with all factory parts in the bottom end? All bearings completely stock as well. If it would cause issues what would they be? I’m trying to figure out what actually caused some of my engine issues and if anything that was done to the car could be the reasons why this stuff happened. Trying connect the dots basically, now that the engine is out and all the parts can be seen. I’m having trouble trying to figure out if one mistake caused other mistakes or it’s just a fluke, coincidence or plane bad luck.

I like that oil, as it has a higher zinc and phosphorus level...I haven't special ordered it yet, but like that aspect...

Originally Posted by Richie333
question on what oil everybody is using in there built motor boosted Z06's? I used to run amsoil 10w40 with my old all motor set up. Should I stick with 10w40 move to 20w50? I am in Texas so the heat is crazy out here. I also will be deleting my oil cooler to help temps get up to operating temps faster and due to having motor failure don't want to re run it and chance anything getting in the new motor.
Wasnt sure if a thicker oil would help keep the temps down without a cooler

Last edited by Chiselchst; 09-20-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:03 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

I guess we can longer delete threads?

Last edited by Chiselchst; 09-20-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:57 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

I will 100% being going with my engine builder instruction on the oil my engine will use. I did do a ton of reading on oil and weights brands the whole thing. There’s a very lengthy oil test results and evaluation that gives hard facts only. I’m going that route, the oil that tested with the best wear protection is what I’ll be using. For my engine that will be Amsoil 5W30 synthetic. Now I’ll do a somewhat of a break in where Mobil one 5W30 conventional will be used for maybe 200-300 miles a change to mobile one 5W30 synthetic for another 300 Miles or so and that Amsoil will go in from then on. My research I saw the use of conventional oil first to let piston rings seat go either way, some swear by that and some say synthetic is just fine as well. My engine builder is a bit old school and likes the use of conventional oil for the first few hundered miles so I’m gonna let him do what he does, it just doesn’t matter to me and if it gives him warm and fuzzies and “ensures the rings seat” properly I’m not gonna push back on that. The first good decision I made on this build (minus what parts to use) I got lots of good input on parts from the forum, did my own searching to verify and each and every time I asked “which brand” for a specific mod my research confirmed those recommendations as well. Anyway taking the entire engine build to the engine builder/machine shop that had my block was the first smart move I made labor wise. One guy has everything and will assemble everything, he did all the hard technical work and his company owns it now. No finger pointing or blaming anything on someone else is possible now. I hope to have a “rebuild thread” up within a week or so, if at least one persons can learn from my mistakes I’ll be satisfied! Buying your first Vette and that vette being a C6Z with a ProCharger that had very low miles but the wrong supporting mods, doing a full on rebuild with such limited knowledge wasn’t the best idea honestly. I tend to go all in on **** when I do make big decisions. One day maybe I’ll tell the story of how I ended up retiring from a very large power company at 27 and joining the military(SOCOM) to be specific. All I was supposed to be doing was getting in shape for my wedding, a gym membership should have been fine......buuuutttt noooo.....I need to do a special forces prep training program to get in shape lol. Which lead to what’s going on 9 years in and still loving every minute. 🇺🇸
Old 09-21-2018, 12:04 AM
Richie333
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will 100% being going with my engine builder instruction on the oil my engine will use. I did do a ton of reading on oil and weights brands the whole thing. There’s a very lengthy oil test results and evaluation that gives hard facts only. I’m going that route, the oil that tested with the best wear protection is what I’ll be using. For my engine that will be Amsoil 5W30 synthetic. Now I’ll do a somewhat of a break in where Mobil one 5W30 conventional will be used for maybe 200-300 miles a change to mobile one 5W30 synthetic for another 300 Miles or so and that Amsoil will go in from then on. My research I saw the use of conventional oil first to let piston rings seat go either way, some swear by that and some say synthetic is just fine as well. My engine builder is a bit old school and likes the use of conventional oil for the first few hundered miles so I’m gonna let him do what he does, it just doesn’t matter to me and if it gives him warm and fuzzies and “ensures the rings seat” properly I’m not gonna push back on that. The first good decision I made on this build (minus what parts to use) I got lots of good input on parts from the forum, did my own searching to verify and each and every time I asked “which brand” for a specific mod my research confirmed those recommendations as well. Anyway taking the entire engine build to the engine builder/machine shop that had my block was the first smart move I made labor wise. One guy has everything and will assemble everything, he did all the hard technical work and his company owns it now. No finger pointing or blaming anything on someone else is possible now. I hope to have a “rebuild thread” up within a week or so, if at least one persons can learn from my mistakes I’ll be satisfied! Buying your first Vette and that vette being a C6Z with a ProCharger that had very low miles but the wrong supporting mods, doing a full on rebuild with such limited knowledge wasn’t the best idea honestly. I tend to go all in on **** when I do make big decisions. One day maybe I’ll tell the story of how I ended up retiring from a very large power company at 27 and joining the military(SOCOM) to be specific. All I was supposed to be doing was getting in shape for my wedding, a gym membership should have been fine......buuuutttt noooo.....I need to do a special forces prep training program to get in shape lol. Which lead to what’s going on 9 years in and still loving every minute. 🇺🇸
i did not buy this car pro charged. I built this car ground up. First a NA motor and I had a bad tune so I cracked #7 piston this is the reason I had this motor built. I did ask the motor builder and he said 10w30 or 10w40. More what I was asking was since I won't be running an oil cooler would a thicker oil help keep it cool but I think I got the answer on that where it will make it work even harder. So I will run 10w40 and see how it goes if not I'll change it up a bit. only reason I don't contact the builder more often is we don't see eye to eye. I was just asking to see who's done it and so on and has had good results
The following users liked this post:
Itsmec6 (07-29-2022)
Old 09-21-2018, 12:57 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Well what I learned was each motor depending on what’s been done on the bottom end is going to determine what oil weight and viscosity will be best, and in some engines like a stock LS7 running 20W50 isn’t a good idea.
aceinthesky (11-07-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Built motor for boost (oil question)

Old 09-21-2018, 01:03 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Richie333

i did not buy this car pro charged. I built this car ground up. First a NA motor and I had a bad tune so I cracked #7 piston this is the reason I had this motor built. I did ask the motor builder and he said 10w30 or 10w40. More what I was asking was since I won't be running an oil cooler would a thicker oil help keep it cool but I think I got the answer on that where it will make it work even harder. So I will run 10w40 and see how it goes if not I'll change it up a bit. only reason I don't contact the builder more often is we don't see eye to eye. I was just asking to see who's done it and so on and has had good results

I seriously hope your build has went better than mine! Throw some details up wouldn’t mind seeing what you went with.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:50 AM
JetstreamGS
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 148 Posts

Shell Rotella T or Chevron Delo diesel oil. Cheap and has highest zinc content.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:11 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Go listen to this podcast....

https://player.fm/series/realtuners-...altuners-radio
Chiselchst (09-21-2018)

Quick Reply: Built motor for boost (oil question)