C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch Can Routing for Boosted Application

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 09:42 PM
GaragedLS2
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Catch Can Routing for Boosted Application

So I know there are good options out there for catch can setups but I really want to use what I already have instead of investing in more stuff. I have a Racetronix catch can setup with all the necessary fittings that I should need but I wanted to make sure my routing was correct here before going any further. Dont mind my terrible Paint illustration of the diagram please. So this is how I intend to route my lines for the catch can but I had a couple questions and overall wanted to make sure I have this correct. Looking at other setups, I'm still not clear on how to do this. Having an aftermarket intake, I have no provision for the line thats normally at the front of the manifold that connects to the valley cover so I think I'll need to tap or weld a bung. My main conerns are 1. Will I need a check valve in the line running from the valley cover to the catch can and 2. should i cap off the drivers valve cover or run another filter off of it like I did on the passenger side and 3. Is this the overall correct way to route this for a boosted car?
Old 09-23-2018, 08:06 AM
Ant-Man
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

This is the routing I'm going to go with, except instead of going to the coupler it's going to the blower filter for the fresh air.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:38 PM
GaragedLS2
Racer

Are you running the mighty mouse can? Not sure if theres a check valve on that can or if it's even necessary. Mine does not have one, I know that much.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:01 PM
Ant-Man
Racer

Nope, I'm a broke college guy. I have an ebay baffled/vented catch can with a 10mm check valve between the can and the intake, so I can only create vacuum, but when the intake sees boost it doesn't go back into the crank system.

I'm not quite sure but I'm thinking about putting a check valve on breather so it creates a better vacuum but vents itself when in boost.

The A&A kits come with a check valve from the valley to the intake, but honestly the one I'm using now flows 2x as much so it creates a better vacuum.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/122905646257
Old 09-25-2018, 08:14 AM
jashmore1234
Le Mans Master

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Ant-Man

This is the routing I'm going to go with, except instead of going to the coupler it's going to the blower filter for the fresh air.
Your description (not the picture) is how I did mine. I come off both valve covers into a "y" that goes to in side of the can and then the out goes to the air filter. The only problem I had was finding a good spot to mount the can. I took my passenger fender off and put the bolts behind the little valley behind the ECU (once you pull the ECU you'll know what I mean)
The following users liked this post:
CI GS (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 09:25 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by jashmore1234
Your description (not the picture) is how I did mine. I come off both valve covers into a "y" that goes to in side of the can and then the out goes to the air filter. The only problem I had was finding a good spot to mount the can. I took my passenger fender off and put the bolts behind the little valley behind the ECU (once you pull the ECU you'll know what I mean)
Thanks for this. Do you have any pictures of the install? I’ve been agonizing over the same thing myself for a while, because I really want a Mighty Mouse can (have an Elite installed now), but I simply don’t have any room to mount it. In fact, just last night I was looking at that space and wondered if it could work in there. I take it you have a remote drain on it so that you can drain any trapped oil out of it from below? Apologies to the OP for the hijack.

OP: FWIW, I currently have the vacuum supply on my Elite can connected to the cavity in front of the rotors on my Heartbeat supercharger, so there’s no possibility of backpressure from boost. I’m not sure what you have for boost, but since you say you have an aftermarket intake, it you have a centri setup, so that probably won’t help you much?
I have the left valve cover nipple connected to the inlet side of the Elite can, and I have a small 3/8 “ dia. inlet K&N filter on the right valve cover nipple, to help bleed off any blow by at high RPM. I simply capped off the intake valley nipple. So far, it has worked well at trapping oil and there’s no way for oil to get into the intake tract, which is the whole purpose of the exercise. I just want to increase the capacity to bleed off blow-by, so I’m going to do a MM PVC system with a -12AN adaptor off the oil filler on the right Holley valve cover. I would post some pictures of my current setup, but for some reason I can’t post pictures anymore, all of a sudden.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:05 AM
GaragedLS2
Racer

Sorry, shouldve been more clear. The main reason im having issues figuring out the best way to route this is because I have a non-vented catch can. My car is a twin turbo car. When I mean an aftermarket intake, I was referring to the intake manifold ( I really should be more clear on this since im asking for advice lol) which has no nipple coming off the front of it like the stock one. I do have ports on the intake to route a line to it if necessary though, I just wanted to make sure I was routing it correctly before spending more money on AN fittings. I also have a 8 AN fitting on what used to be my oil fill cap that I had initially planned to run a filter on. I just want to make sure I do this right so im not spending on unnecessary fittings. I'm doing all my vaccum lines in braided line and AN fittings so it gets expensive making mistakes.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:24 PM
Ant-Man
Racer

But when you go into boost there's no venting, that's why I have a breather.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:05 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by GaragedLS2
Are you running the mighty mouse can? Not sure if theres a check valve on that can or if it's even necessary. Mine does not have one, I know that much.
On the M.M PCV catch can there is. It's designed for boosted applications maintaining PCV system and high horsepower.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 09-26-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:56 PM
Ant-Man
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
On the M.M PCV catch can there is. It's designed for boosted applications maintaining PCV system and high horsepower.
My biggest question is does the MM can have a check valve on the breather? To keep a solid vacuum when not in boost and when in boost it can vent.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:55 PM
jetbluu
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...an-review.html

Post number 1 explains the design of the filter

"Now here is the cool part, in the center of the air filter is a free floating round rubber piece that is flat and it actually put inside the filter during construction so it won't come out. This piece rests on top of the inner cylinder and when the pressure comes up it pushes it up and the air pressure goes out the filter. Then you let off the gas and the vacuum is created and sucks it back down on top of the cylinder and maintaining a closed PCV system"
The following users liked this post:
Ant-Man (09-28-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 05:06 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Ant-Man
My biggest question is does the MM can have a check valve on the breather? To keep a solid vacuum when not in boost and when in boost it can vent.
Just to add to jetbluu's post: Inside the breather there is an expanding cushion between the rubber disc and the top of the breather. This cushion keeps the rubber disc on the can along with vacuum, until excessive blow-by is present. At that point, the disc will lift up and compress the cushion allowing blow-by out thru the filter. Once excessive blow-by decreases the cushion expands again and helps push the rubber disc down along with vacuum.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 09-27-2018 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:54 PM
Ant-Man
Racer

Ok so basically an oversized check valve, I figured as much because I haven't been able to find a 1/2" or bigger check valve. Being able to maintain the vacuum while under boost rerouting it made sense but just wanted confirmation.

Last edited by Ant-Man; 09-28-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:31 PM
GaragedLS2
Racer

So I was going to run a check valve like this between the can and valley cover outlet. Can to intake manifold and a breather on the oil fill cap. Would that suffice?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk% 2Fitm%2F291327163877
Old 09-28-2018, 06:58 PM
Ant-Man
Racer

use the one I posted, the only place it should go is between the can and the intake.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:32 PM
GaragedLS2
Racer

With a non vented catch can would it matter which line the check valve was on? I see them saying the valley cover is too small to use on a boosted car so that is my only concern. Being that I dont have a vented can, the only thing I can do is vent the valve cover from the oil fill port. So this is how it would be run - Valley cover to catch can, catch can to intake w/ check valve in-line, breather filter off oil fill port.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:29 PM
Ant-Man
Racer

with a non-vented no, but with boost you probablyyyy want a vented can otherwise your crankcase can pressurize since the air has almost nowhere to go.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:41 PM
GaragedLS2
Racer

Wouldnt putting a breather on the oil filler cap act in the same way a breather can would, though?
Old 09-29-2018, 09:06 AM
Ant-Man
Racer

I'd do more research before you do anything, I spent a good couple days researching how people have theirs setup and how it works.

Get notified of new replies

To Catch Can Routing for Boosted Application

Quick Reply: Catch Can Routing for Boosted Application