C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switch from 6 Rib to 8 Rib belt questions ProCharger

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 09:57 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts
Default Switch from 6 Rib to 8 Rib belt questions ProCharger

a few questions hopefully you guys can help me with.
Going back with 8 rib kit IW 10% OD balancer, blower pulley 4.10” to 3.7”. After many parts runs and belts lengths I finally got one to fit. Length is 89”7/8th.

Only potential issue so far is where the belt comes by the water pump. As of now I can get my index finger between the belt and water pump with both sides apply slight pressure on each side of my finger. I’ve got about half of the tensioner left to tighten more if needed. If I run the tension bolt all the way in it moves the belt away from the water pump and two fingers fit between the belt and water pump with almost no pressure on my fingers.

How tight shoukd the belt be on intital start up?
How much does an 8 rib belt stretch upon start up?
Just trying to see if this size is the most ideal or if one size smaller would be the best fit, I think the 89” 7/8ths is a good fit but curious if 89” 1/2 or 3/4 would free up a little more tension adjustability. I’m guessing the tighter fit and most amount of tension bolt adjust left is the most ideal?
Old 10-09-2018, 10:19 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

what bracket do you have?... if it's an a&a you have a manual tensioner under the blower pulley that can be used to take up some of the slack if the belt is a bit loose
Old 10-09-2018, 11:22 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts

ProCharger bracket but it’s an upgraded version with a bolt/screw tensioner at the top behind the bracket itself

Last edited by 73DBG; 10-09-2018 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:16 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

ok so basically you just have one tensioner and not 2 like a&a... from what I understand there are 2 marks on one side of the tensioner and a single mark on the other side, the side with the single mark should be oriented in the middle of the other 2 marks so the tensioner has proper travel... if the belt is too loose when at that setting then you should try a shorter belt... you can also use a piece of string routed across the pulleys the same way the belt goes and measure the length... then measure the distance the tensioner travels from fully closed to fully open, divide that by 2, then subtract that number from the string measurement and that should give you a pretty darn close estimate of the belt length you will need

Get notified of new replies

To Switch from 6 Rib to 8 Rib belt questions ProCharger

Quick Reply: Switch from 6 Rib to 8 Rib belt questions ProCharger