C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Strange sound all of a sudden from 1500sl w only 175 miles.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 02:55 PM
paisa427
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Strange sound all of a sudden from 1500sl w only 175 miles.

Help guys all of a sudden my my Paxton novi 1500sl supercharger at isle began to whine like a lawn mower after only being driven for 175 miles. It only has dyno pulls and l street pull the rest were cruising miles. Long story short(lots of bad luck) this is my 3rd or 4th rebuilt Paxton novi 1500sl. it’s on a 8 rib flip drive. After driving it for only 2 days I got the dreaded melted cooling fan connector and as soon as I got the overheating warning luckily I was in a gas station and shut her off immediately . I started her up and Drove her a few times to see if the fans would kick on. Nothing. Drove her to my mechanics place yup melted connector. Was at his shop a day(he turned in on and off about 6 times) I posted here and found out about just by passing the connector. He did that turned on the car let it idle and the fan kicked on. Everything is going great then he hears the supercharger begin get louder and louder that’s when he told me he didn’t want to drive it, so I went up there and man it never sounded like this before. It got loud. I checked and there is no shaft play or signs of the compressor wheel rubbing against anything.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:54 PM
JetstreamGS
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 148 Posts

That sounds awful. Something may have damaged it since you don't have filter. Have you checked the fluid?
Old 09-15-2018, 05:10 PM
paisa427
Instructor

Spoke with my tuner it’s filled and I even have over flow out of fill hole/ over flow.?Nothing got in there. the compressor wheel and side walls are perfect
Old 09-15-2018, 05:15 PM
paisa427
Instructor

See the oil in between the fins I cleaned it up before I drove it to buddies shop. It made no noise when I dropped it off. He didn’t drive it it was just idling. Then got louder and louder.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:41 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

That sound is definitely on the impeller side of things. Like I said on the tech forum, it doesn't take much to create a problem, especially since you have no air filter. If I remember back in my centrifugal days, the main drive ***** were shipped in oil to eliminate even fingerprints (corrosion) on the them. Unless Paxton changed the size, they are 1.060 dia. and micro-polished in Germany.
Take the belt off before you do anymore damage.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:14 PM
paisa427
Instructor

It’s coming more from the center I was trying to get a vid of the compressor wheel to look for shaft play in motion. Hence why only one vid and turned her off. Then I inspected the compressor wheel and housing and they look perfect.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:49 PM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Sounds like you ingested something in there not using a filter. Doesn’t take much with the percision tolerances on the impeller side
Old 09-15-2018, 10:33 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

hard to tell but is that screen rubbing on the shaft?
Old 09-16-2018, 02:09 AM
playtoy
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like a piece of paper is hung up on the impeller.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:54 PM
paisa427
Instructor

I get the hate for the screen but was told to do so to max out the blower(trying to break any records if I can) tomorrow I will take off the belt and turn the pulley by had and closet inspect the compressor side. I’ll take as much pics as possible. And as for running the screen with no filter I’ve seen may turbo and supercharger setups run with no filter no problem for years. I was going to trailer her to the track to see what she does fully uncorked then it overheated melted the connector and sat for a week. Then drove it my buddies shop 10 mi away I’ll get more info from him as well.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:34 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

You can't see most of the impeller through the opening. Without taking the housing off you won't be able to see. Running no filter is a silly idea.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:55 PM
paisa427
Instructor

Originally Posted by Unreal
You can't see most of the impeller through the opening. Without taking the housing off you won't be able to see. Running no filter is a silly idea.
i hear you guys, and I’m telling you the sound is coming from the center housing, I was focusing on the compressor wheel to see if there was shaft play and as you can see she is spinning like a champ. If something got sucked in there even at idle the speed that the supercharger compressor wheel is spinning, the wheel would have signs of damage or if something is lodged The fins would be destroyed and would have locked up the wheel And since it’s a self contained unit if the shaft blew wouldnt oil be all inside the compressor housing? Took the vid and I turned her off. I took of the screen and there are no signs of contact and the compressor looks perfect. My mechanic told me it was in the shop idlemjg for 20 min then he noticed the blower got a bit louder went over everything was running fine and he stayed there for about 5 min, and slowly the sound got a little louder and louder he tried to hear where it was coming from then he didn’t like the sound so he turned the car off. I then the next day started it up took the vid and shut her off. Where my car is now is my local buddy who opens up His own shop is all about the aftermarket scene. He build his own centri blown replica a/c cobra from the frame up. All our friends(30ish people over a decade ltime wise) he was the groups go to mechanic for anything first. So hes worked on all makes and models of go fast cars so he has a lot of experience working on supercharged, turbocharged and nitrous setup cars. So he picked up on the blower sound right away.fist thing he did was make sure nothing got into compressor housing and like in the vid it was spinning like a champ. When he turned her off he also inspected the wheel for shaft play or signs of damage, there were none and put the screen back on. I got there looked and the compressor wheel before I turned her on well.

Last edited by paisa427; 09-16-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:32 AM
Devcon 7
Intermediate

Not running a filter definitely wouldn't of caused that, I have a friend who forgot to tighten some stuff and his ingested material. This resulted in some bent/gouged fins and lots of scratches. Hes still running it.a year later lol. Didn't sound any different or make a whole lot of power difference.

Also, I don't know anyone where I'm at that runs a filter. I'd definitely say a bad rebuild

Last edited by Devcon 7; 09-17-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:11 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Just because there isn't any slack, shaft movement, or play doesn't necessarily mean the bearings are in good shape. Non normal noises are just one of the first symptoms of a bearing soon to completely **** the bed. Also, just because it spins free and easy by hand doesn't mean much either. The belt spinning the blower puts a big side load on the bearings that you can't duplicate by hand.

Last edited by old motorhead; 09-17-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:13 PM
paisa427
Instructor

Originally Posted by Devcon 7
Not running a filter definitely wouldn't of caused that, I have a friend who forgot to tighten some stuff and his ingested material. This resulted in some bent/gouged fins and lots of scratches. Hes still running it.a year later lol. Didn't sound any different or make a whole lot of power difference.

Also, I don't know anyone where I'm at that runs a filter. I'd definitely say a bad rebuild
I have had nothing but problems with this kit. I had the blower rebuilt/ exchanged 3 or 4 times already and paid for 1 or 2 of the rebuilds. Baught 1st ecs kit in 2012 had lots of problems right of the bat as they sent the c6 kit not the z06 kit. Had lots of problems the blower would toss belts left and right only lasted a few thousand miles. Had 3 alernators get the pulley ripped off. Went to my current shop and he fixed everything everything right then the motor blew. Once I got everything back together with the built motor then went for max power on the ecs 1500. Ecs recommend the pulleys to run, and the blower gave out on the dyno. Sent it to ecs said it had a bad seal and got it rebuilt(paid for this one) . Get blower back Then on the dyno the blower gives out one of twice(3 year gap before I got my car back(saving for the motor) with the pulley setup that ecs said to run. Sent them back to ecs and they said both were over spun wanted me to pay for each rebuild. I said no way. Then I get another rebuilt blower and go ecs says to now I need to run larger pulley run that pullley did that did great on the dyno was driving her and got the fan melt then at idling you can see in the vid how loud the blower got.
Originally Posted by old motor-head
Just because there isn't any slack, shaft movement, or play doesn't necessarily mean the bearings are in good shape. Non normal noises are just one of the first symptoms of a bearing soon to completely **** the bed. Also, just because it spins free and easy by hand doesn't mean much either. The belt spinning the blower puts a big side load on the bearings that you can't duplicate by hand.
yes you are somewhat right, but you can clearly see the wheel spinning like a champ in the vid. You are right it may be the bearings giving out as the sound was coming from the center housing.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:22 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by paisa427
I have had nothing but problems with this kit. Had lots of problems the blower would toss belts left and right only lasted a few thousand miles.
I feel your pain
Old 09-17-2018, 06:56 PM
paisa427
Instructor

Originally Posted by old motorhead
my mechanic took the belt off and spun the pulley by hand no resistance but can hear a noise when turning it in the center section and every fin on the wheel is in perfect shape

Get notified of new replies

To Help Strange sound all of a sudden from 1500sl w only 175 miles.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:08 PM
paisa427
Instructor

Originally Posted by neutron82
I feel your pain
if you could only image I hate this kit. I hate it. I wish I would have gone with the custom twin turbo kit that at the time was almost double the price of the ECS Kit. I kick myself in the @ss every day. I had to buy so many extra parts that the price of everything is like 5 grand more than the twin turbo kit would have been. Had to go to go flip drive. all the belts thrown off, alternators having alternator pullies ripped off. All the tow charges, down time etc. It all adds to major loss for me for buying this kit. Like I said 2 rebuit 1500sls gave out on the Dyno using the pullies ecs recommended.
Im at my limit here. Nothing but problems with this kit from the start back on 2012.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:14 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I completely understand lol, I took mine off and replaced it with an a&a setup and it has been 100% perfect since installed... I wish I had gone that route in the beginning, lesson learned!
Old 09-17-2018, 08:00 PM
paisa427
Instructor

I wish I could go twin turbo( motor is built for boost) but Due to dire circumstances $ wise I needed this blower to last awhile. Now it’s sounds like I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place. Car will be sitting for a good time if the blower is shot.

Quick Reply: Help Strange sound all of a sudden from 1500sl w only 175 miles.