C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Mighty Mouse catch can to Heartbeat LS3 (wet sump) Question >

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 12:59 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

The bolts come from the bottom, so that doesn't work.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:17 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
The bolts come from the bottom, so that doesn't work.
Yep. The two middle rear ones go in from the bottom, so they’re plenty of fun. The only how to get at them is to drop the engine cradle down, to gain a bit of room between the blower and the firewall, and then take the coilpacks and, better yet, the right side valve cover off and snake your arm around the back of the blower and then twist your hand around with a small wrench and tighten them down. Real fun. Waaay worse that dealing with the balancer/steering rack on these cars. That’s a fricken cakewalk.
I was at one point giving some serious thought to taking a hole saw to the cowl, cutting two ~1” holes over those bolts, drilling the threads out from the top and then pulling the lid to tap the bolt holes in the blower housing and then use some helicoils in the sumbitches. But I decided that was just too much work, so I ended up just skinning up a bunch of knuckles and throwing my back out instead.

Last edited by CI GS; 02-27-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:01 PM
mykream
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by CI GS
Yep. The two middle rear ones go in from the bottom, so they’re plenty of fun. The only how to get at them is to drop the engine cradle down, to gain a bit of room between the blower and the firewall, and then take the coilpacks and, better yet, the right side valve cover off and snake your arm around the back of the blower and then twist your hand around with a small wrench and tighten them down. Real fun. Waaay worse that dealing with the balancer/steering rack on these cars. That’s a fricken cakewalk.
I was at one point giving some serious thought to taking a hole saw to the cowl, cutting two ~1” holes over those bolts, drilling the threads out from the top and then pulling the lid to tap the bolt holes in the blower housing and then use some helicoils in the sumbitches. But I decided that was just too much work, so I ended up just skinning up a bunch of knuckles and throwing my back out instead.
What a pain in the ***. Yeah, I would definitely be modifying that thing to work in my favor if I had one.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:19 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Just an update on the MightyMouse catch can I installed in the same location that Sammy installed his ...

After installing it, I found out my OEM hood would not close. The filter on top of the catch can was just up too high and would not allow the hood to completely close.

I found out that Sammy's hood closes without a problem, due to the fact that he has a taller aftermarket hood on his GS.

Well, in my case, I removed the filter and cut off the round aluminum section on top of the catch can cap that the filter attaches to ... Then I took the outer section of a C6 wheel center cap and attached it to the catch can's screw-on top cap (this now covers the large hole that was now in it) ... I then used silicone sealant (RTV) to secure it and sealed it from outside atmosphere ... Then rattle-can painted it with 'textured matte black'.

Hood now closes and the catch can's top screw-on cap can be now removed when necessary!

Name:  nEjBAOf.png
Views: 46
Size:  503 Bytes

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 03-19-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:38 PM
mykream
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts

I hope you don't run into any issues with removing that filter.. Dave puts those there for a reason..
Old 03-19-2019, 12:39 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Agreed, disables one of the main reasons to get the MM can. Could have just clamped it on the top part saving you a ton of room. Or just move it elsewhere.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:52 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Oh well ...

And there was just no other place to move the catch can to that I could find.

Anyway, it will still do it's job keeping much of the oil out of the intake.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:23 PM
Carvone
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Looks like a nice job you did on it but I have to agree with the posters above, it is designed like that for a reason. I installed a "MM Wild" last week and also ran into the problem of where the hell to mount it and choose the same place, it really is the only place. mine was too tall also so I just clamped it around the top of the can, holds very tight.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:30 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Good idea .... I just never thought about that.

However, I have hoses right under my catch can, and I just can't push it down any further because the bottom of the catch can hits the hoses.

I guess if it was positioned further to the rear (closer to the engine), then it would not contact those hoses and I could mount it down lower ... but then I would need to make a new mount bracket.

Oh well ...
Old 03-19-2019, 03:43 PM
Carvone
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Good idea .... I just never thought about that.

However, I have hoses right under my catch can, and I just can't push it down any further because the bottom of the catch can hits the hoses.

I guess if it was positioned further to the rear (closer to the engine), then it would not contact those hoses and I could mount it down lower ... but then I would need to make a new mount bracket.

Oh well ...
Yea, I tried to mount it closer to the TB but the hoses were in the way on mine too, the wild can is a little larger I think. That's why mine is moved over closer to the end of the radiator bracket, it was the only unobstructed place it would fit.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:13 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

I put mine in the fender. Works great, nothing to see, out of the way.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:43 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

****, Ron, I have to agree that it defeats the purpose of the can to do get rid of the filter like that. I would've just made the bracket lower or clamped the can higher so that it didn't hit the hood.

Quick Reply: Installing Mighty Mouse catch can to Heartbeat LS3 (wet sump) Question >