C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need opinions on a turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 06:32 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by g23crawler
I keep thinking of more things, you'll want gauges. A nice wide band and decent boost gauge, I have boost, afr, and fuel pressure. Between all those and a nice gauge pod its probably 500-600. Just dumb stuff like that when you build a car for the first time.
My build I know will not be cheap when the time comes. The Turbo I want is over $5k. That and I do not want to cheap out on cheap things that I would have to go back and redo.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:36 PM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Innovate
My build I know will not be cheap when the time comes. The Turbo I want is over $5k. That and I do not want to cheap out on cheap things that I would have to go back and redo.
Yup... That was my biggest thing. I haven't drove my car in a year because I cheaped out on a lot of stuff and just ended up having to go back and redo it anyways. Alot of that was because my small budget.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:43 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Yup... That was my biggest thing. I haven't drove my car in a year because I cheaped out on a lot of stuff and just ended up having to go back and redo it anyways. Alot of that was because my small budget.

We see this alot with the imported Chinese kits because of the thickness/quality of the stainless, and that's if it even fits the first time w/o having to cut it up and redo it. And at the end of the day great customer service is truly priceless!
Old 03-08-2019, 07:25 PM
Shortpersonbk
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

Tune revisions are $150 but I am NA, possibly more for boost. I am actually looking at a couple of Bullseye turbos so money is blown there regardless (their 104mm because I will be going built Dart LSnext in the future).

I looked the other day and CX racing is $2500 I thought. I am sure there are a ton of small things that add up.

I also am not counting current injectors and current CC.
104 sounds way big

but +1000 on a bullseye turbo i always recommend them when i have the opportunity to give them business there is no doubt in my mind they are the best package.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:41 PM
Innovate
Drifting

I learned doing HCI on my car.

Originally Posted by Shortpersonbk
104 sounds way big

but +1000 on a bullseye turbo i always recommend them when i have the opportunity to give them business there is no doubt in my mind they are the best package.
Planning on a big CI like 454 Tall Deck LSnext iron block with Brodix Br7's, Crower RR's, Hi-Ram, Fuel system, and shoot for over 2k. I may not go 104 but I plan on doing more research beforehand. I really want to stay single for packaging in the Vette.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:41 PM
Garrett Brooks
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its definitely possible to do it on the cheap, just alot of variables that come about in a build like this.
Heres a quick break down of mine
Turbo kit - 3500
cermic coating - 500
injectors - 950
tune - 800
fuel system - 1500
Roughly 7300
Now that's just the basics, here's some things that popped up I didn't expect
New fuel rails because of return system -300
About 50 different an fittings for fuel/vacuum lines/oil return - 200 to 300
I put a scavenge system on mine so pump lines fittings etc.. 300 ish
Smart to do head studs and gaskets when doing a build like this - 300
If you already have the heads off might as well do a cam - 800 for a kit
So theres about 2k in stuff and then if your like me and didnt even think about how to hook up a car you just doubled the power on you have at least another 1k in a drag pack so add that all together and theres around 10k so a decent build..

Im not trying to discourage you, im a broke 23 year old and all about saving money anywhere I can. You can definitely do it cheaper but everything with a corvette is expensive it seems like. Also the non-existent customer support with my kit left me with no choice but to make alot of stuff myself like brackets, charge tube, exhaust pipes...
You nailed it! I am currently in the process of doing a cxracing kit on my grand sport and my budget of 8500$ to be running and driving is blown and I barely started.

Also for the AC you're going to have to completely customize all the lines and fab up new radiator and condenser mounts to make it work, the radiator has to stand straight up more than it does now so the condenser will fit. And bare minimum all the hot side absolutely HAS to be high temp ceramic coated, everything is so close in the corvettes anything less will melt the rubber lines.

I was going to keep AC in mine and do bumper or hood exit exhaust but have decided to delete the AC for the time being to get the car going. In a few months I will be doing ceramic coating and while that's being done everything will be adjusted and AC back in. Lots of wiring harnesses to be moved, steering rack cooler has to be relocated or deleted, trans cooler is a purchase and fab mounts, I think they are sensors for front impact they hit the radiator so they have to be moved, horn has to be adjusted as it hits the cold side piping, lots of bolts nuts and washer to buy as they dont ship hardware, if you have a ls3 then you need a new water pump as the ls3 inlets are in the wrong position for the cxracing cooling piping, that's just the basic stuff off the top of my head.

Like G23 said dont want to discourage you but it's way more work than cxracing puts on! My inbox is open give me a shout and I'll help with what I can. I'm currently doing some recording on the build to get this stuff out there but it's a slow process.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:37 AM
Shortpersonbk
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

I will note that someone mentioned headstuds above. If your on stock block your more then likely have enough clamping with $30 head bolts from napa.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:48 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Originally Posted by Garrett Brooks
You nailed it! I am currently in the process of doing a cxracing kit on my grand sport and my budget of 8500$ to be running and driving is blown and I barely started.

Also for the AC you're going to have to completely customize all the lines and fab up new radiator and condenser mounts to make it work, the radiator has to stand straight up more than it does now so the condenser will fit. And bare minimum all the hot side absolutely HAS to be high temp ceramic coated, everything is so close in the corvettes anything less will melt the rubber lines.

I was going to keep AC in mine and do bumper or hood exit exhaust but have decided to delete the AC for the time being to get the car going. In a few months I will be doing ceramic coating and while that's being done everything will be adjusted and AC back in. Lots of wiring harnesses to be moved, steering rack cooler has to be relocated or deleted, trans cooler is a purchase and fab mounts, I think they are sensors for front impact they hit the radiator so they have to be moved, horn has to be adjusted as it hits the cold side piping, lots of bolts nuts and washer to buy as they dont ship hardware, if you have a ls3 then you need a new water pump as the ls3 inlets are in the wrong position for the cxracing cooling piping, that's just the basic stuff off the top of my head.

Like G23 said dont want to discourage you but it's way more work than cxracing puts on! My inbox is open give me a shout and I'll help with what I can. I'm currently doing some recording on the build to get this stuff out there but it's a slow process.
Holy moly, could you use a Procharger radiator support to hold the radiator and condensor up? The problem with going Turbo on these is that so much has to be done and centri-kits looks relatively simple. I guess out the hood is way easier.

Originally Posted by Shortpersonbk
I will note that someone mentioned headstuds above. If your on stock block your more then likely have enough clamping with $30 head bolts from napa.
I am doing ARP studs and I think it is a good idea regardless.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:22 PM
Garrett Brooks
Intermediate

Holy moly, could you use a Procharger radiator support to hold the radiator and condensor up? The problem with going Turbo on these is that so much has to be done and centri-kits looks relatively simple. I guess out the hood is way easier.

I am doing ARP studs and I think it is a good idea regardless.
@Innovate I would go headstuds I did right from the start with ls9 head gaskets copper coated.

And as far as the procharger bracket I am not sure. I was thinking of just drilling 2 more holes in the bottom bracket closer to the motor and itll stand up more, then use the factory cxracing radiator bracket holes for the condenser. I may look at this idea next week so I'll chime back in.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:15 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Originally Posted by Garrett Brooks
@Innovate I would go headstuds I did right from the start with ls9 head gaskets copper coated.

And as far as the procharger bracket I am not sure. I was thinking of just drilling 2 more holes in the bottom bracket closer to the motor and itll stand up more, then use the factory cxracing radiator bracket holes for the condenser. I may look at this idea next week so I'll chime back in.
Where can you grab copper coating for the gaskets?

Either way seems like they will work.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:17 PM
Garrett Brooks
Intermediate

Where can you grab copper coating for the gaskets?

Either way seems like they will work.
I got it from autozone. I used 1 full can between 2 head gaskets.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:23 PM
kunta0908
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

CXRacing kit here.

Ceramic coating is NOT required. DEI Titanium wrap is more than capable of taking care of hot side parts.

A/C with fender exhaust requires a little bending of pressure tubes coming out of the condensor. Nothing extremely custom at all. Simply 30 minutes of your life.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:34 PM
Garrett Brooks
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kunta0908
CXRacing kit here.

Ceramic coating is NOT required. DEI Titanium wrap is more than capable of taking care of hot side parts.

A/C with fender exhaust requires a little bending of pressure tubes coming out of the condensor. Nothing extremely custom at all. Simply 30 minutes of your life.
@kunta0908 can you pm me pics of how yours is setup? From what iv seen in my 2011 grand sport it has to be custom to a point or you have lines running right on the manifold & cross over. I dont feel DEI titanium wrap will be enough mines wrapped in that now but from the looks I will be coating mine.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:37 PM
kunta0908
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll take some pics in the morning.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:58 PM
GaragedLS2
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You can definitely do a turbo kit on the cheaper end but you MUST be able to use a little ingenuity and have some skills. I havent even calculated how much 'extra' ive spent on my On3 kit but I'm sure ive at least doubled the initial price of the kit. Given I have changed a lot of things that didnt necessarily need changing but for a street car I wanted the added assurance that things would work and work well. I also made things a little nicer with AN fittings and braided line, push-lok, etc. I still dont feel like you could do a turbo kit on one of these cars, keep all factory accessories, keep it reliable ( good driving temps, no leaks, etc. ) without spending in excess of that of a centri kit. Its probably been done but it most definitely is not the norm. I wanted a clean engine bay and to keep everything accessible for maintenance as well so there was some extra time, care and money put into that. You can just slop things together and save money.

So, in my opinion, its still not feasible to think you can turbo a C5/6 Corvette for less than it would cost to put a centri kit on one. It definitely wont come with less headaches and it will require more patience.

Also, if youre getting tunes for 150 bucks, i need your guys number lol - A good tune on a FI car is about 600 bucks on the cheaper end around me. Lots more to it than on an N/A car.

Customer Service is also important so that need to be kept in mind. As I said earlier.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:25 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 896 Likes on 685 Posts

I'm over $7k into mine and still don't have a hot side made, a fuel system, ceramic coating, and a lot of fittings/line. Getting real close to my $11k budget.

Last edited by jayyyw; 03-17-2019 at 07:26 PM.

Quick Reply: need opinions on a turbo kit