Notices
C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sloppyish Homemade Turbo Build

Old 07-02-2019, 04:34 PM
CHR89
CF Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VVVROOMTX View Post
subd for another cool build!

also why, and this might already be answered, but why such thick walled pipe for the manifolds and piping?
I could have likely done it with much thinner walled pipe but went overkill, lots of local guys are building their log manifolds out of the same so I just followed the trend. Thinner would have been fine for sure since the turbo is mounted to the subframe.

Originally Posted by SteveSierra View Post
Very nice work.
Iím a little concerned as my turbo isnít braced. The kit I bought just had it connected to the header, Is this sufficient?
It should be fine, my turbo is roughly 60# and that's obviously a lot of weight to hang as far forward as I have, lots still don't brace them the same size as mine but I wanted to be able to take the turbo off via the vband and also wanted to mount it to the subframe so my terrible welds have a chance at survival lol.

Originally Posted by Tokuzumi View Post
I can't imagine how long it took to put together the bottom half of that pipe.
few hours, it sucked pretty bad but I mounted the turbo too low and all of my 4" 90s had a 6" CLR so I couldn't get it to tuck up above the factory radiator support. Would have MUCH rather just used a single bend though.
The following users liked this post:
MTBSully (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 04:50 PM
MTBSully
CF Senior Member

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Where did you order the stainless for the crossover and downpipe? Looks like summit has a good selection. I will be ordering my manifold stuff from ace race parts here shortly.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:26 PM
CHR89
CF Member

Originally Posted by MTBSully View Post
Where did you order the stainless for the crossover and downpipe? Looks like summit has a good selection. I will be ordering my manifold stuff from ace race parts here shortly.
Stainless for the manifold and crossover was ordered from ace race parts, downpipe steel came from global tech eng, header flanges were ordered from LJMS because they have ones that are meant to be used with weld elís. And the rest of the misc stuff like the vbands came from MonkeyFab.
MTBSully (07-03-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 10:20 PM
CHR89
CF Member

Finally got around to working on the intercooler piping. Finished up the hot side and got most of the cold side complete. The coupler in the middle of the cold side is going away once I get more argon and get the coupler for the throttle body, so that I can be sure it fits right. Need to get the BOV flange and IAT sensor on as well since the car is going speed density.

My buddy is making my oil feed line right now, I got the 12an return built and hooked up today as well. Also decided Iím putting the radiator in the back to try to avoid all of the coolant temp issues people seem to be running into.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:58 AM
MTBSully
CF Senior Member

Looks good man! How does the CX racing stuff fit? I assume you just bought their intercooler/radiator and are going to do your own cold side piping? I think that is my plan as of right now as well
Old 07-15-2019, 09:02 AM
CHR89
CF Member

Yeah, I just bought their intercooler and radiator kit but I'm only going to be using the intercooler. I'm putting the radiator in the rear of the car. The cold/hot piping is just a generic ebay kit that was like 80 bucks cut and welded together myself to fit how I wanted it to. I ran out of argon before I could finish it so for the most part it's just tacked together. I think total I'll be using 5 couplers, may try to get it down to 4 though.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:47 AM
Tokuzumi
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by CHR89 View Post
Finally got around to working on the intercooler piping. Finished up the hot side and got most of the cold side complete. The coupler in the middle of the cold side is going away once I get more argon and get the coupler for the throttle body, so that I can be sure it fits right. Need to get the BOV flange and IAT sensor on as well since the car is going speed density.

My buddy is making my oil feed line right now, I got the 12an return built and hooked up today as well. Also decided Iím putting the radiator in the back to try to avoid all of the coolant temp issues people seem to be running into.
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure you are going to have some boost leaks around the throttle body area. May want to look into sealing up around that area a little better.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:56 AM
CHR89
CF Member

Just waiting on the 3-4" reduction coupler and more argon lol
Old 07-15-2019, 10:05 AM
MTBSully
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by CHR89 View Post
Yeah, I just bought their intercooler and radiator kit but I'm only going to be using the intercooler. I'm putting the radiator in the rear of the car. The cold/hot piping is just a generic ebay kit that was like 80 bucks cut and welded together myself to fit how I wanted it to. I ran out of argon before I could finish it so for the most part it's just tacked together. I think total I'll be using 5 couplers, may try to get it down to 4 though.
I have my eye on the same 80 dollar ebay kit haha
Old 07-15-2019, 10:10 AM
CHR89
CF Member

Originally Posted by MTBSully View Post
I have my eye on the same 80 dollar ebay kit haha
It welds just fine if you have argon lol I was fighting it for like 20 minutes before realizing my tank was empty.
MTBSully (07-15-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sloppyish Homemade Turbo Build

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: