C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E85 guys, fuel system question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 08:58 AM
dforesi
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E85 guys, fuel system question

Hi everyone,

Over the winter I installed a ECS1500 kit on my 2008 Ls3 C6. The main point of the build was really to give myself a calibration challenge as I have not tuned the GM platform before. I have the car running pretty well at this point and want to convert it over to E85. The car has ID1000 injectors which should support the flow required by E85 (the car is only running about 6psi). The issue is the fuel system, the ECS kit included a fuel booster so I just installed that to get me by, but I know I will need more flow to support ethanol.

Is there an inexpensive solution available to get the flow required?
I've seen alot of $1000+ solutions out there, but I imagine it doesn't have to be that expensive.
Will I have to go to a return style system?
Are there issues with flowing too much fuel through the GM flex-fuel sensor? I've seen something regarding a 400lph limit.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:14 AM
Shortpersonbk
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

So my poverty fuel system I rigged together is setup for around 800whp on e85. Waiting on the tuner to have time to tune the car on e85 to prove that but i have faith. I have maybe $300 into it including pumps and materials. Feel free to PM me and i can give more details.

I used a stock hanger/basket and trimmed it up put 2 aem 340 e85s in one uses the stock wiring setup other uses new wiring from the battery and is triggered by my boost controller. In your case it would just be triggered by a hobbs switch. They fit decent once you trim the basket it up and then all your need is a stainless steel T.

I am using stock lines/no return and the stock fpr. As per the GM flex fuel sensor I do not believe that is true there may be a slight slow down through to it but i doubt world ending.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:10 AM
dforesi
Intermediate

Yea I would love to hear more about it, I'll pm you.

Currently running the pump booster on a hobbs. I have a racetronix harness going to the rear of the car so there's plenty of power available for bigger pumps.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:52 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

At that boost/power level, to keep costs at a minimum, you could just use something like a 1/2” NPT to -10AN elbow and drill and tap the rear of the left side tank and carefully screw the elbow in and use that as a fuel pickup (lots of folks have done this. I wouldn’t/didn’t but I haven’t heard about anything adverse happening from doing it, although I would personally spend the extra money on an ECS bulkhead and be done with it). Then add a -10AN hose with a 120 or 150* hose end coming off the tank and run that forward to your pump. If you’re not using an ECS bulkhead, which has its own filter/sock, I would definitely add a high flow inline filter to catch any gunk from the tank before it gets to the pump. For a pump, it’s hard to beat the value of the AEM 400LPH pump (which they have just certified can be used with E85) @~$155.
You can run that with a 2-4psi Hobbs switch, just like what the BAP is using (you could also get rid of the BAP and use the same wiring). Then you just need to run a -6AN (or if you’re using PTFE hose, a -8AN) braided line forward through your rocker up into the engine compartment and Tee that into the stock fuel line (using a M/F quick connector to -6 or 8 AN Tee), either before or after the FF sensor. I would add another ~10 micron filter up front, just to be safe. I have mine located under the WW bottle. You wouldn’t need a pressure regulator, as the intank regulator will bleed off the excess pressure and the aux pump will only be running under boost anyhow.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:00 AM
dforesi
Intermediate

I assume this is the block you are referring to?

https://www.eastcoastsupercharging.c...0an-8an-detail

Yes I have thought about going that route, and yes BAP is definitely a temporary solution.

You're sure on not needing another regulator? You think the stock intake regulator would be able to effectively bleed off pressure that's being added at the front of the system?
Old 05-23-2019, 11:01 AM
dforesi
Intermediate

Additionally, I was thinking that given my power level, call it 700whp, I would probably need about 450lph of total flow at 60psi to satisfy the E85. Does that sound right?
Old 05-23-2019, 11:34 AM
Shortpersonbk
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by CI GS
At that boost/power level, to keep costs at a minimum, you could just use something like a 1/2” NPT to -10AN elbow and drill and tap the rear of the left side tank and carefully screw the elbow in and use that as a fuel pickup (lots of folks have done this. I wouldn’t/didn’t but I haven’t heard about anything adverse happening from doing it, although I would personally spend the extra money on an ECS bulkhead and be done with it). Then add a -10AN hose with a 120 or 150* hose end coming off the tank and run that forward to your pump. If you’re not using an ECS bulkhead, which has its own filter/sock, I would definitely add a high flow inline filter to catch any gunk from the tank before it gets to the pump. For a pump, it’s hard to beat the value of the AEM 400LPH pump (which they have just certified can be used with E85) @~$155.
You can run that with a 2-4psi Hobbs switch, just like what the BAP is using (you could also get rid of the BAP and use the same wiring). Then you just need to run a -6AN (or if you’re using PTFE hose, a -8AN) braided line forward through your rocker up into the engine compartment and Tee that into the stock fuel line (using a M/F quick connector to -6 or 8 AN Tee), either before or after the FF sensor. I would add another ~10 micron filter up front, just to be safe. I have mine located under the WW bottle. You wouldn’t need a pressure regulator, as the intank regulator will bleed off the excess pressure and the aux pump will only be running under boost anyhow.
The above is also a option. When it comes time for me to need a third fuel pump I will be doing that. Except i have never looked into that new pump i was looking at magnafuel or fuellab. I will for sure use a aem400 given the price and flow being about what i need. Good info!

Originally Posted by dforesi
Additionally, I was thinking that given my power level, call it 700whp, I would probably need about 450lph of total flow at 60psi to satisfy the E85. Does that sound right?
That math is hard to judge. Personally I think that is a little light. I should have around 600lph at 60psi and I dont expect more then maybe 800whp worth of fuel to exist on e85 safely.

Last edited by Shortpersonbk; 05-23-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:00 PM
Dimewise
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

ID1000s, dual nozzle meth with E85 here.

800whp. Any more and Ill upgrade.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:18 AM
dforesi
Intermediate

What fuel system are you running?
Old 05-24-2019, 08:26 AM
Dimewise
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by dforesi
What fuel system are you running?