C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTBSully's Amateur Hour Turbo Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 09:19 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 896 Likes on 685 Posts

Any reason why you didn't do the springs while the heads were off the car?

Last edited by jayyyw; 07-02-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:22 AM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Received 649 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by jayyyw
Any reason why you didn't do the springs while the heads were off the car?
Just figured it would be easier with them on the car so they would be held in place. I have the fitting that attaches to my air compressor so the cylinder is pressurized so I dont have to worry about the valves falling down or anything.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:03 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

With the correct tool it is actually super easy outside of the car. It all depends on what tool you have for it.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:48 AM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

More progress finally. Didnt work on it last week due to the 4th of july holiday since I was out of town. Had a few hours after work the past few days to work on it.

BTR .660 spring kit installed with new valve seals. What a learning curve here. I swear the first cylinder I did took me 30 minutes to get both springs swapped and by the time I got to the second bank I was under 5 minutes per cylinder. Next time I will do it off the car if possible because although my air tool that pressurized the cylinder to hold valves was cool and worked very well, it did mess up my perfect #1 TDC as the air pressure caused the motor to crank over ever so slightly with each cylinder.

Checking pushrod length for ***** and giggles even though I already have the stock length 7.400 pushrods from BTR. Heads only milled 0.005"

Got #1 to TDC approximately using the ole finger over the spark plug hole method and watching the lifters move. The torqued the appropriate rockers to 22ft lbs.

Starting to look like a motor again. Intake manifold back on, valve covers on, alternator painted black and back on, exhaust manifolds back on temporarily, belt installed.

Parts pile is getting small!

Mounted drivers side coil packs in the same spot as my z06. New coil harness since the old one came apart in my hands since it was so brittle when i removed it from the coil mounts. Need to be sure i have them plugged in in the correct order.

All thats left to do before startup is mount the PS coil bracket, make my MSD wires and toss the radiator back in. Hopefully by the end of the week we will have first startup. Have dinner at the in-laws tonight and tomorrow after work I will be picking up my new toolbox so we will see how much time I have in the next couple days.

Also going to install my BR7EF plugs. Looks like they are gapped around .027 out of the box. Should be good for under 20PSI boost on this build for now, right?

Last edited by MTBSully; 07-10-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:20 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Good progress!
Old 07-12-2019, 12:59 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Cool!

I went with the "it's close enough that the valves probably won't fall far enough to make a mess" method instead of trying to get it exact, no air needed
The following users liked this post:
MTBSully (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 01:05 PM
VVVROOMTX
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 78 Posts

Did you spray paint your alternator and bracket?
Old 07-12-2019, 02:48 PM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Cool!

I went with the "it's close enough that the valves probably won't fall far enough to make a mess" method instead of trying to get it exact, no air needed
lol, i thought about doing that but i bought the tool for $6 and wanted to try it. Worked well enough. Next time i'll put the car in gear haha

Originally Posted by VVVROOMTX
Did you spray paint your alternator and bracket?
Yes sir, spray bombed rustoleum flat black
Old 07-16-2019, 08:55 AM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

More excuses and less work being done. Picked up my new toolbox on thursday after work and that took most of the day:

Was away for the weekend again. Went to get to work for a full afternoon yesterday after work when a buddy who had borrowed my trailer called to say he was stranded on the side of the highway with a broken down truck and trailer, so I had to go rescue them which ate up most of the night. Still managed to finish making all my plug wires and coil relocation when I finally got home later last night.

Pretty sure all thats left to do is pop the radiator in, top off some fluids and hit the fire in the hole button. Should be tonight unless my luck continues and something else happens that prevents me from working on it.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:41 AM
VVVROOMTX
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBSully
More excuses and less work being done. Picked up my new toolbox on thursday after work and that took most of the day:

Was away for the weekend again. Went to get to work for a full afternoon yesterday after work when a buddy who had borrowed my trailer called to say he was stranded on the side of the highway with a broken down truck and trailer, so I had to go rescue them which ate up most of the night. Still managed to finish making all my plug wires and coil relocation when I finally got home later last night.

Pretty sure all thats left to do is pop the radiator in, top off some fluids and hit the fire in the hole button. Should be tonight unless my luck continues and something else happens that prevents me from working on it.
Good luck on the first fire!
Old 07-16-2019, 11:34 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Nice looking box.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:04 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Nice, I've been eyeing that box as well
Old 07-17-2019, 09:46 AM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Fire in the hole! Had an hour or so after a meeting last night to work on the car. Finished up a few bits, checked everything over and started her up last night briefly (it was 11PM and i was tired). Everything sounds good so far, no leaks as far as I can see. Later today I will get her up to temp, top off the cooling system, and maybe take the car around the block a few times to be sure everything is good to go.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:14 PM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Well she passed the around the block test. All vitals seem excellent, no leaks. Car runs pretty decent considering its untuned. Have a check engine light for P0300, which I have heard is common after a cam swap so i'm not too worried about it.

Time to begin phase two: turbo kit.

I think I have decided on a VS racing S480 with T4 housing and 1.10 A/R unless anyone is violently against it, but it seems it has done extremely well in similar applications. Need to order some piping from ace race parts and figure our this welding stuff!

Also think I will be doing a fuel system similar to the ECS stage 1 system with and AEM external pump. It should provide the fuel i need for my power goal of around 800 to the tire. I will also be ordering the CX racing radiator and intercooler kit. The kit says you cannot keep AC because there is no room for the condenser, but it seems a few people on here have, so I should be ok.

Last edited by MTBSully; 07-18-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:21 PM
RecMech
Pro

Received 325 Likes on 148 Posts

Good stuff

No real option with the welding other than a bunch of practice (although sometimes making a second pass with the pulser on can really clean things up!)
MTBSully (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 03:28 PM
CHR89
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBSully
Well she passed the around the block test. All vitals seem excellent, no leaks. Car runs pretty decent considering its untuned. Have a check engine light for P0300, which I have heard is common after a cam swap so i'm not too worried about it.

Time to begin phase two: turbo kit.

I think I have decided on a VS racing S480 with T4 housing and 1.10 A/R unless anyone is violently against it, but it seems it has done extremely well in similar applications. Need to order some piping from ace race parts and figure our this welding stuff!

Also think I will be doing a fuel system similar to the ECS stage 1 system with and AEM external pump. It should provide the fuel i need for my power goal of around 800 to the tire. I will also be ordering the CX racing radiator and intercooler kit. The kit says you cannot keep AC because there is no room for the condenser, but it seems a few people on here have, so I should be ok.
I'd be interested in seeing how the 1.10 does. I went T6 / 1.32 because everyone was telling me it would fall off up top with the 1.10, but I'm also trying for 11-1200 on mine. The VS stuff seems decent though, lots of people having great luck with it. The fuel system should be fine though, mine was really similar to it at 750 on e85 with the old set up that I had on the car.
MTBSully (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 03:40 PM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CHR89
I'd be interested in seeing how the 1.10 does. I went T6 / 1.32 because everyone was telling me it would fall off up top with the 1.10, but I'm also trying for 11-1200 on mine. The VS stuff seems decent though, lots of people having great luck with it. The fuel system should be fine though, mine was really similar to it at 750 on e85 with the old set up that I had on the car.
Ya, just wondering how the stock pump will like e85 since I will likely run that every once and a while.

Get notified of new replies

To MTBSully's Amateur Hour Turbo Build Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 05:07 PM
CHR89
Instructor

It’ll eventually die, just wire a switch up to your external pump or keep a spare piece of wire with you to jump the Hobbs switch and you’ll be able to make it home alright.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:31 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CHR89
What are you trying to rev to? I run a T4 1.10a/r with a 96mm turbine. Power peaks around 7300rpm but I'm also not spinning the turbo very hard yet. On the street, it doesn't nose over at all. Pulls hard to 8k.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:00 AM
CHR89
Instructor

Originally Posted by jayyyw
What are you trying to rev to? I run a T4 1.10a/r with a 96mm turbine. Power peaks around 7300rpm but I'm also not spinning the turbo very hard yet. On the street, it doesn't nose over at all. Pulls hard to 8k.
Usually around 7500, I’m a 6.0 though. We have a truck with a similar setup, 6.0, ported heads, similar cam etc. It was fine on t4 1.10 until ~22lbs then the dyno began to nose over and back pressure was getting pretty high so we swapped it to a T6 1.32 s480. Were running vs racing turbos though so probably not as efficient as others.
jayyyw (07-21-2019)

Quick Reply: MTBSully's Amateur Hour Turbo Build Thread