Notices
C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTBSully's Amateur Hour Turbo Build Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 09:19 AM
jayyyw
CF Senior Member

Received 308 Likes on 271 Posts

Any reason why you didn't do the springs while the heads were off the car?

Last edited by jayyyw; 07-02-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:22 AM
MTBSully
CF Senior Member

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jayyyw View Post
Any reason why you didn't do the springs while the heads were off the car?
Just figured it would be easier with them on the car so they would be held in place. I have the fitting that attaches to my air compressor so the cylinder is pressurized so I dont have to worry about the valves falling down or anything.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:03 PM
Unreal
CF Senior Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 1,253 Posts

With the correct tool it is actually super easy outside of the car. It all depends on what tool you have for it.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:48 AM
MTBSully
CF Senior Member

More progress finally. Didnt work on it last week due to the 4th of july holiday since I was out of town. Had a few hours after work the past few days to work on it.

BTR .660 spring kit installed with new valve seals. What a learning curve here. I swear the first cylinder I did took me 30 minutes to get both springs swapped and by the time I got to the second bank I was under 5 minutes per cylinder. Next time I will do it off the car if possible because although my air tool that pressurized the cylinder to hold valves was cool and worked very well, it did mess up my perfect #1 TDC as the air pressure caused the motor to crank over ever so slightly with each cylinder.

Checking pushrod length for ***** and giggles even though I already have the stock length 7.400 pushrods from BTR. Heads only milled 0.005"

Got #1 to TDC approximately using the ole finger over the spark plug hole method and watching the lifters move. The torqued the appropriate rockers to 22ft lbs.

Starting to look like a motor again. Intake manifold back on, valve covers on, alternator painted black and back on, exhaust manifolds back on temporarily, belt installed.

Parts pile is getting small!

Mounted drivers side coil packs in the same spot as my z06. New coil harness since the old one came apart in my hands since it was so brittle when i removed it from the coil mounts. Need to be sure i have them plugged in in the correct order.

All thats left to do before startup is mount the PS coil bracket, make my MSD wires and toss the radiator back in. Hopefully by the end of the week we will have first startup. Have dinner at the in-laws tonight and tomorrow after work I will be picking up my new toolbox so we will see how much time I have in the next couple days.

Also going to install my BR7EF plugs. Looks like they are gapped around .027 out of the box. Should be good for under 20PSI boost on this build for now, right?

Last edited by MTBSully; 07-10-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:20 AM
jayyyw
CF Senior Member

Good progress!
Old 07-12-2019, 12:59 PM
schpenxel
CF Senior Member

Received 770 Likes on 716 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Cool!

I went with the "it's close enough that the valves probably won't fall far enough to make a mess" method instead of trying to get it exact, no air needed
The following users liked this post:
MTBSully (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 01:05 PM
VVVROOMTX
CF Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you spray paint your alternator and bracket?
Old 07-12-2019, 02:48 PM
MTBSully
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
Cool!

I went with the "it's close enough that the valves probably won't fall far enough to make a mess" method instead of trying to get it exact, no air needed
lol, i thought about doing that but i bought the tool for $6 and wanted to try it. Worked well enough. Next time i'll put the car in gear haha

Originally Posted by VVVROOMTX View Post
Did you spray paint your alternator and bracket?
Yes sir, spray bombed rustoleum flat black
Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM
MTBSully
CF Senior Member

More excuses and less work being done. Picked up my new toolbox on thursday after work and that took most of the day:

Was away for the weekend again. Went to get to work for a full afternoon yesterday after work when a buddy who had borrowed my trailer called to say he was stranded on the side of the highway with a broken down truck and trailer, so I had to go rescue them which ate up most of the night. Still managed to finish making all my plug wires and coil relocation when I finally got home later last night.

Pretty sure all thats left to do is pop the radiator in, top off some fluids and hit the fire in the hole button. Should be tonight unless my luck continues and something else happens that prevents me from working on it.
Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM
VVVROOMTX
CF Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBSully View Post
More excuses and less work being done. Picked up my new toolbox on thursday after work and that took most of the day:

Was away for the weekend again. Went to get to work for a full afternoon yesterday after work when a buddy who had borrowed my trailer called to say he was stranded on the side of the highway with a broken down truck and trailer, so I had to go rescue them which ate up most of the night. Still managed to finish making all my plug wires and coil relocation when I finally got home later last night.

Pretty sure all thats left to do is pop the radiator in, top off some fluids and hit the fire in the hole button. Should be tonight unless my luck continues and something else happens that prevents me from working on it.
Good luck on the first fire!
Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM
jayyyw
CF Senior Member

Nice looking box.
Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM
schpenxel
CF Senior Member

Received 770 Likes on 716 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Nice, I've been eyeing that box as well

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MTBSully's Amateur Hour Turbo Build Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: