Notices
C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTBSully's Amateur Hour Turbo Build Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 01:41 PM
MTBSully
CF Senior Member

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
Default MTBSully's Amateur Hour Turbo Build Thread

Well, here goes nothing.

I love turbochargers. I love turbochargers so much, I took the perfectly good factory supercharger off of my 2004 Mustang Cobra, turboed it, and made 800+ to the tire. I sold that car in 2015 to buy my current 2008 z06, which makes ~640 to the tire with a aggressive heads/cam setup. I have always though about doing a turbo setup on the z06, but have not been able to convince myself to cut up my 17k mile cherry z06 that is loads of fun as is and runs the *****. Going to try and run a few 9s this season NA in that car:

But, all these build threads kept popping up with people doing turbo builds and that made the itch that much worse. I decided maybe i'd look for a cheap, higher mileage base model that I could work on and still have my z06 to cruise in instead of being down and out all summer. The hunt was on for a coupe (hatchback, whatever), c6 with a 6 speed and a clean title so I can sell it down the road easily.

I found a 2005 silver coupe with just over 100k near myrtle beach. Had my eye on it for a while and was thinking about hopping on a plane to go take a look. About a day later my boss asked if I could do a demo in myrtle beach. Perfect, so work paid for me to fly down there and I sealed the deal.

The car was as described and ran and drove well. Interior has some wear, exterior is pretty nice with the exception of heavily haze headlight lens, which I already ordered. Discovered it has a slight grind when shifting slowly into 3rd gear, but other than that it absolutely crushed the 975 mile drive home with tunes bumping and the AC cranked.

All stock with exception if c7 z51 wheels and a pioneer head unit. For what I paid, it was the cheapest c6 on craigslist on the entire east coast. I got a great deal on the car.

So this was all about a month ago. In the meantime I have been travelling for work like a madman, renovating the apartment above my garage, doing yardwork, working on the blue mach 1 pictured to get it ready for sale, etc. Have had zero time to work on it and have not really touched it in the last month.

Well the apartment is done, the blue mach 1 is done, and I am currently sitting in the airport on my home from hopefully my last work trip for about a month. So, its time to get to work.

I will need lots of help and suggestions in this thread, so keep them coming. I am new to the turbo c6 world, but not the C6 (built my z06 from stock to where it is now, there is also a build thread on that for those interested), and not the turbo world as I also built my cobra. Anyways, here is the basic rundown I have in my head:

- Stock LS2
- LS9 head Gaskets
- ARP Studs
- Turbo cam (suggestions?)
- Turbo size? 80mm?
- No freaking clue on the fuel system. Did a Walbro 450 in the z06 but doubt that will be enough here
- Some sort of twin disc clutch
- Custom hotside. Will be my first fab project and a learning experience. I am thinking log manifold passengers side, 4-5" downpipe out the fender. Keeping AC
- CX racing radiator/cold side

Would like to make 700-800hp. I do run e85 in the z06 sometimes, so that is an option. Would like to keep this build on a reasonable budget.

I will probably tear into the car after the long weekend so that I dont change my mind and flip it for a profit which I tend to do. Maybe get drunk and order a turbo cam and some supporting valvetrain and get that running while I purchase a welder and get up to speed on that. Updates to come.

Last edited by MTBSully; 05-24-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:45 PM
MTPZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,229 Likes on 1,080 Posts

Sub'd! Car looks pretty clean other than the hazed over headlight lenses.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:49 PM
RecMech
CF Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Looks like fun!

Let me know if I can help.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:52 AM
jayyyw
CF Senior Member

Received 308 Likes on 271 Posts

Following for sure.

BTR Stage 2 turbo cam or have LJMS spec you something custom.

VS Racing has a good line up of BW clones that are pretty good. S480 clone in a T4 would probably work well. Really depends on your power goal.

Fuel wise; a 450 with an external setup would be the cheapest. Fore twin pump would be better but cost a little more.

Mantic twin disc clutch
Old 05-29-2019, 12:38 PM
chuntington101
CF Senior Member

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Out of interest where you going to mount the turbo? Front and centre or in the fender like some have done?
Old 05-29-2019, 04:32 PM
MTBSully
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by jayyyw View Post
Following for sure.

BTR Stage 2 turbo cam or have LJMS spec you something custom.

VS Racing has a good line up of BW clones that are pretty good. S480 clone in a T4 would probably work well. Really depends on your power goal.

Fuel wise; a 450 with an external setup would be the cheapest. Fore twin pump would be better but cost a little more.

Mantic twin disc clutch
I was thinking that most people have good luck with the BTR stage 2. What about springs? BTR duals? 700-800hp is the goal, so I would think a T4 would be fine and might help me save some space.

How would the external pump work? Set up a hobbs switch or similar and T it into the stock fuel rails with the 450 in tank?

Originally Posted by chuntington101 View Post
Out of interest where you going to mount the turbo? Front and centre or in the fender like some have done?
Ideally exactly like this:

I have seen this setup on the forums years ago but have never been able to find more information on it. Obviously it is a log manifold, and I am assuming the wastegate goes below the turbo. What is interesting is the log manifold does not appear to be custom made. Would be sweet if I could find it to purchase but I have not yet found anything. To me it is the perfect setup to clear the stock hood, keep AC, and dump exhaust out the fender.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:40 PM
jayyyw
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by MTBSully View Post
I was thinking that most people have good luck with the BTR stage 2. What about springs? BTR duals? 700-800hp is the goal, so I would think a T4 would be fine and might help me save some space.

BTR .660 springs should be plenty.

How would the external pump work? Set up a hobbs switch or similar and T it into the stock fuel rails with the 450 in tank?

Exactly how it would work
Old 05-31-2019, 12:16 PM
Shortpersonbk
CF Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Will be following closely. I will note that picture posted above will not work with a s400 based turbo. That chassis is just to large in my opinion i dont think its possible without a half radiator which we explored and even purchased on mine but never followed through on using it bc it still wouldnt work great.

Turbo wise if on a budget then i would run one of the VS racing boys. I normally hate the idea just because from what i know the turbos are decent but i hate supporting them given that they basically just copy everything that someone else already spent time and money to develop.

For example their new 7875 T4 1.25 next gen looks like a bullseye bat wheel clone in a pte 7675 housing. (smaller then a s400 base i believe) I would probably explore trying something like that if you dont want the real thing.

Last edited by Shortpersonbk; 05-31-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:12 AM
chuntington101
CF Senior Member

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Below is an interesting build. Love the turbos placement but would require more work(??).

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...476-build.html

Last edited by chuntington101; 06-02-2019 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Helps if you get the right link! Doh!
Old 06-03-2019, 04:15 PM
MTBSully
CF Senior Member

Had an hour or so to work on the car last night. Swapped the cloudy headlight lens for the new ones. They look much better now.

Blank slate:

Also did a compression test for ***** and giggles. We got a healthy LS2!

Ordered my tig welder on friday. Ordered BTR stage 2 turbo cam, .660 springs, ARP studs, LS9 head gaskets etc from summit today. Will start tearing down motor today or tomorrow after work.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:21 PM
MTPZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,229 Likes on 1,080 Posts

How did you remove the old lenses...heatgun?
Old 06-03-2019, 04:31 PM
MTBSully
CF Senior Member

Oven at 235 for 10 or so minutes and just split them apart

Last edited by MTBSully; 06-03-2019 at 04:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MTPZ06 (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 05:49 PM
jayyyw
CF Senior Member

Wasn't hard to do? Mine are starting to micro crack.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:55 AM
MTBSully
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by jayyyw View Post
Wasn't hard to do? Mine are starting to micro crack.
Not hard really. I've built a few sets of projector retrofits though so i'm used to the process. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:12 AM
schpenxel
CF Senior Member

Received 770 Likes on 716 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I'm planning on doing the same to my headlights.. I have a 2005 that's been sitting outside for years, they really make the car look older and the output is terrible. I run around with my high beams on most of the time and no one seems to notice

Anyways--looking forward to build pics!

Last edited by schpenxel; 06-04-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:11 AM
MTBSully
CF Senior Member

Head/cam stuff will be here today. Also grabbed some new LS7 lifters and trays.

Teardown has started in the hour or so I had after dinner last night:

Almost all of the spark plug boots broke off when i went to do the compression test, so I will also be ordering stuff to do the coil relocation to place those in the fenders. Also ordered welding cable and terminals for the battery relocate. UPS man is gonna be busy at my house the next week or so!

Plan right now is to get the car running with the cam swap, make sure everything is good, and then move on to building the turbo setup.

Last edited by MTBSully; 06-06-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:36 AM
MTBSully
CF Senior Member

Finally had a couple hours to work on the car after work yesterday and got a bunch done. Nothing got done over the weekend since Saturday morning I took the z06 to a dyno day and hung out at the lake the rest of the weekend. Anyways;

Fenders removed for coil relocation and to help me not worry about banging them all up.

Boom, heads off, rack slid to the side.

Parts pile got quite large quite quickly last night

Heads will be dropped off at the machine shop today for cleanup. I have all the parts I need to keep me busy for the next few days until the heads are ready. Tonight hopefully I will have time after work to pull the balancer, timing cover and do the cam swap before the Stanley Cup game 7. Go B's!
jayyyw (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 09:01 AM
jayyyw
CF Senior Member

Nice man. Moving along.
MTBSully (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 09:08 AM
MTBSully
CF Senior Member

Also forgot to ad that this bad larry showed up the other day. Time to grab some argon and get to learning
Old 06-12-2019, 10:33 AM
CHR89
CF Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have loved my AHP so far, works great. Did you get the Nova foot pedal with yours? Makes a huge difference IMO.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MTBSully's Amateur Hour Turbo Build Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: