C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutting open the front bumper ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 05:05 PM
renegade123
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Just take fog lights out and you get a good amount of flow to oil and other coolers.

My concern is the mounting and fitment. Everything I read about them says it is a nightmare.
I asked about fitment , he basically stated it should fit like oem. The bumper is fabricated in Germany so the quality control should be decent I would think. Only thing is the $2k price, not cheap, but I think a good % of that cost is due to being an oversized item and shipped from overseas. Either way I have yet to see another c6 Z with a front bumper that looks that bad *** !
Old 06-15-2019, 04:11 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by WHITE_SHARK
I made my own cutting on front bumper (maybe not looking that good) to feed my 6” thick A2A intercooler. Still did not get any real data if that helps to improve IAT as whole setup and methanol system is changed.

Nice! Any pics of the bumper off? Also looks like you made the opening narrower so it just feeds the intercooler? I think it looks good!
Old 06-15-2019, 04:12 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Quick question on the Geiger bumper, how much of the crash bar would block the flow? Guessing anyone that used it would have to have a cut crash bar to get the most out of it?..
Old 06-16-2019, 07:19 AM
WHITE_SHARK
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Nice! Any pics of the bumper off? Also looks like you made the opening narrower so it just feeds the intercooler? I think it looks good!
Thanks. Unfortunately no pictures with bumper alone.
Yes sir, the opening is narrower + blocked the fog lights openings.

Next step to do some aluminium plates to close all the area around the intercooler and bumper as I could not forward the intercooler closer to bumper (without angle it) due to its size and hitting the bumper from the top middle outlet pipe.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:32 PM
Bluewheelz
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 117 Posts

Quick question on the Geiger bumper, how much of the crash bar would block the flow? Guessing anyone that used it would have to have a cut crash bar to get the most out of it?..
Cutting the crash bar helps with or without the Geiger bumper. The larger opening in the Geiger brings more air around the intercooler without it. Also the side ducts add more air flow that can be ducted wherever.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:25 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts

Are we talking about the white bumper being able to potentially group buy? Or the matte gray version that another member already has? I looked all over their site and didn’t find the version pictured on the white Z, it seems they did those top slits afterwards. $2k is a healthy price and I’d have to agree with Unreal the fitment is probably gonna be a bitch....and it’s gonna need paint. I’d just assume cut into mine or bring it to a shop and have pro’s do it....no fitment problems and no need to paint...
Old 06-18-2019, 06:21 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

If the object of the exercise is to get more air through the radiator on a car with an intercooler, then probably the easiest/best way to do that would be to cut out the back of the metal bumper like Pat G did:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rformance.html
Or cut the whole damn bumper out and replace it with a tubular bar, although if you do that you would probably need to discard the foam nose support, which would mean that you may have to reinforce the nose some how (I personally would probably use biaxial fiberglass matting glassed onto the inside to reinforce the plastic nose).
IMV, the opening in the nose isn't really the problem, it's what's behind it (a bigass metal bumper) that blocks the flow of air to the radiator in an intercooled FI setup.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:27 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 73DBG
Are we talking about the white bumper being able to potentially group buy? Or the matte gray version that another member already has? I looked all over their site and didn’t find the version pictured on the white Z, it seems they did those top slits afterwards. $2k is a healthy price and I’d have to agree with Unreal the fitment is probably gonna be a bitch....and it’s gonna need paint. I’d just assume cut into mine or bring it to a shop and have pro’s do it....no fitment problems and no need to paint...
The bumper on the white car that I posted is a picture of a C6 built by TIKT in Germany, which is most likely a custom one-off piece that they did for that car. I don't see that listed on their website, so I doubt that its something that's readily available.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:42 PM
jgonzalez1907
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My zr1 is cut open, made a huge difference as I got the heat exchanger moved up and. It blocking the rad
Old 06-19-2019, 01:59 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by CI GS
The bumper on the white car that I posted is a picture of a C6 built by TIKT in Germany, which is most likely a custom one-off piece that they did for that car. I don't see that listed on their website, so I doubt that its something that's readily available.
Ok that makes sense now, I looked all over the website as well...they definitely have what appears to be some fine quality products with a price tag to go along lol. That pic you posted the bumper is sick....I’d like to find a place locally that could do that to mine!
Old 06-19-2019, 07:43 AM
Mizfitcreations2.0
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluewheelz
I purchased a Geiger front bumper. The middle opening is roughly 2x the size of the stock bumper and it also has two side scoops for additional coolers.
That bumper looks familiar, hope its working out.

FYI for people interested, I ran this with no bumper support. The fiberglass is stiff enough to support the wind speed. I measured enough room to fit a 3" thick intercooler in front of the bumper crash bar. 31" wide gave plenty of room on the sides to direct air to the radiator. Fog holes fit a B&M oil cooler perfectly. Was a great set up for boosted applications.

Last edited by Mizfitcreations2.0; 06-19-2019 at 07:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bluewheelz (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 10:10 AM
renegade123
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mizfitcreations2.0
That bumper looks familiar, hope its working out.

FYI for people interested, I ran this with no bumper support. The fiberglass is stiff enough to support the wind speed. I measured enough room to fit a 3" thick intercooler in front of the bumper crash bar. 31" wide gave plenty of room on the sides to direct air to the radiator. Fog holes fit a B&M oil cooler perfectly. Was a great set up for boosted applications.
Bro, where did you order this bumper , and how much. As I posted in the other , the guy I talked to mentioned I had to order it from Germany. Any local suppliers
Old 07-01-2019, 06:20 AM
Mizfitcreations2.0
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by renegade123
Bro, where did you order this bumper , and how much. As I posted in the other , the guy I talked to mentioned I had to order it from Germany. Any local suppliers
I apologize but I will not give out the name to where I bought this. He was local but nothing but problems. He has screwed a few people over and has gone MIA recently. I know supervettes can order it but quoted $3000. There is a company in SW Florida but never used them. These won't fit great to start, plan to out in some time to make then work right.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:36 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

I apologize but I will not give out the name to where I bought this. He was local but nothing but problems. He has screwed a few people over and has gone MIA recently. I know supervettes can order it but quoted $3000. There is a company in SW Florida but never used them. These won't fit great to start, plan to out in some time to make then work right.
That looks awesome. Sort of Porsche-like. Sounds like there’s no readily available bolt-on options out there, though.
I might try to visit TIKT next week, as I’m in Munich now on holiday and will be driving to Salzburg then, and Stephanskirchen is just off the autobahn on the way there. If I do go, I’ll ask them about the nose on their C6 and post back on here whatever I can find out. They have some other awesome looking products that I want to look at as well, like their uni-ball suspension bushings.

Last edited by CI GS; 07-01-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:07 AM
Tomislav63
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

If you come to us we can show you this
CI GS (07-02-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 01:29 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tomislav63
If you come to us we can show you this
That’s a fierce looking machine. Are you at TIKT? I will most definitely try to come by.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:41 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

This looks so good.

Get notified of new replies

To Cutting open the front bumper ?

Old 07-01-2019, 06:02 PM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

I think removing the heat might be more important - a true vented hood like the C6R might work better than cutting up the bumper. It'll also create a little downforce too.
CI GS (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 02:06 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ahrmike
I think removing the heat might be more important - a true vented hood like the C6R might work better than cutting up the bumper. It'll also create a little downforce too.
Getting the air out will always help! But there is only so much you can do unless you want to get extreme! Hood vents will help and have been tried and tested.

However, to maximise them you would want to lean the rad forward and build a proper ducted exit. This isn’t easy and you could easily make things worse without knowing by making the duct or small or ineffective.

Also a lot of people with FI would need big changes to the layout of their systems adding more cost / complexity.

So yeah ideally you would lay the rad forward but I don’t think it’s thats straight forward on a boosted C6. Maybe this bumper could be the ‘tiger shark’ (from the C5) for the C6!
CI GS (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 07:25 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Getting the air out will always help! But there is only so much you can do unless you want to get extreme! Hood vents will help and have been tried and tested.

However, to maximise them you would want to lean the rad forward and build a proper ducted exit. This isn’t easy and you could easily make things worse without knowing by making the duct or small or ineffective.

Also a lot of people with FI would need big changes to the layout of their systems adding more cost / complexity.

So yeah ideally you would lay the rad forward but I don’t think it’s thats straight forward on a boosted C6. Maybe this bumper could be the ‘tiger shark’ (from the C5) for the C6!
I agree that laying the radiator forward and venting the hot air through the hood like the C7 does would be the best way to get the additional airflow for the cooling that an FI car needs. I the think the proper way to do that would be to remove the front boxed steel bumper and the foam nose support and build a tubular bumper/nose support with the necessary bracketry for the rad, intercooler etc. hanging on that, such that the radiator leans forward, enabling airflow through it from both the nose opening and the underside of the nose put through the hood. There’s a lot of room up front once you remove that big *** boxed bumper and the foam. Additional airflow through the nose would be a bonus (but might not even be necessary) as long as it can be vented through the hood (or fenders) to reduce front end lift at high speeds. But all of that is more than I’m willing to take on, lol.

Quick Reply: Cutting open the front bumper ?