C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 A&A + E85 fuel system advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 11:58 PM
VetteofSD
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts
Default LS2 A&A + E85 fuel system advice

I'm currently in the process of installing an A&A Kit on my LS2 C6. Only other performance modification is a Z06 exhaust system. I was considering the idea of adding a DSX Sensor Kit at the same time since E85 is readily available at many gas stations where I live. I like a lot of things about having the ability to use E85 such as track/drag days, plus the environmentally friendly aspect, but I have a few questions about the fuel system requirements.

I had to replace my fuel gauge sending unit on my car and decided to replace the pump with a Z06 fuel pump while I was at it. Now, the A&A kit comes with a Boost-A-Pump. Is a Z06 fuel pump + BAP sufficient to run the A&A kit + E85? I'm not looking for the highest power possible, I plan on having the car tuned conservatively since it's my daily toy

Standard PSI range tends to be ~6-8 PSI so I'll probably be around there. I have to keep stock pulley sizes because of California CARB reasons. Goal is ~600RWHP if possible. Thank you all very much for any help!
The following users liked this post:
sallen619 (12-14-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 06:34 AM
pyrodav
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

I think you're gonna want to go with the dual pump that is e85 compatible.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:56 AM
sonnysucks
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

I always believe in over fueling, or at least the ability to do so... I'd go with the triple pump setup given the cost is only marginally more. I believe a similar car on the triple setup cleared 700whp with a pulley upgrade, so you should be solid to obtain your goal number with that setup. I may be incorrect on the cost, but the fore setup was only a little more for the bigger setup.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:27 PM
VVVROOMTX
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 78 Posts

The Fore L2 dual pump with the 267 pumps is what i chose for e85 and boost
Old 06-29-2019, 07:20 PM
sonnysucks
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Fore triple setup
Old 12-14-2019, 01:54 PM
sallen619
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteofSD
I'm currently in the process of installing an A&A Kit on my LS2 C6. Only other performance modification is a Z06 exhaust system. I was considering the idea of adding a DSX Sensor Kit at the same time since E85 is readily available at many gas stations where I live. I like a lot of things about having the ability to use E85 such as track/drag days, plus the environmentally friendly aspect, but I have a few questions about the fuel system requirements.

I had to replace my fuel gauge sending unit on my car and decided to replace the pump with a Z06 fuel pump while I was at it. Now, the A&A kit comes with a Boost-A-Pump. Is a Z06 fuel pump + BAP sufficient to run the A&A kit + E85? I'm not looking for the highest power possible, I plan on having the car tuned conservatively since it's my daily toy

Standard PSI range tends to be ~6-8 PSI so I'll probably be around there. I have to keep stock pulley sizes because of California CARB reasons. Goal is ~600RWHP if possible. Thank you all very much for any help!
Did you have the supercharger and flex fuel kit installed yet? I have an LS2 car also and I'm considering going down this same route.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:59 AM
VetteofSD
Racer

Originally Posted by sallen619
Did you have the supercharger and flex fuel kit installed yet? I have an LS2 car also and I'm considering going down this same route.
I installed the supercharger but skipped the flex fuel sensor. The only reason I skipped it is I forgot to order it before scheduling a day with my tuner I'm planning on doing it in the future though.

Based on my research and what a few tuners told me at the time, the Z06 fuel pump + BAP is getting close to maxing out ~650rwhp. So it'll depend on your other mods and how aggressive your tune is. I have an A6 so I lose a little bit of power compared to manuals. My car only had a Z06 exhaust system and that put me at ~357RWHP. After the A&A kit I gained ~150RWHP putting me right around 500-510. Based on that, my tuner said I have enough room to do the E85 conversion in the future if I wanted, but that should be my last power mod before upgrading the pump. E85 gets used ~30% faster so the pump has to work harder vs other mods to put you in the same power range. So if you have a lot of other mods already, you'll likely want to look into a more powerful, aftermarket fuel pump. It's pretty easy to install. I replaced mine on jack stands without much trouble. I see you're in SD as well if you don't have a tuner yet, check out Excelsior Motorsports in Escondido. He does fantastic work, doesn't try to sell you on anything, and gives you honest, no B.S. answers.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:18 AM
sallen619
Drifting

I installed the supercharger but skipped the flex fuel sensor. The only reason I skipped it is I forgot to order it before scheduling a day with my tuner I'm planning on doing it in the future though.

Based on my research and what a few tuners told me at the time, the Z06 fuel pump + BAP is getting close to maxing out ~650rwhp. So it'll depend on your other mods and how aggressive your tune is. I have an A6 so I lose a little bit of power compared to manuals. My car only had a Z06 exhaust system and that put me at ~357RWHP. After the A&A kit I gained ~150RWHP putting me right around 500-510. Based on that, my tuner said I have enough room to do the E85 conversion in the future if I wanted, but that should be my last power mod before upgrading the pump. E85 gets used ~30% faster so the pump has to work harder vs other mods to put you in the same power range. So if you have a lot of other mods already, you'll likely want to look into a more powerful, aftermarket fuel pump. It's pretty easy to install. I replaced mine on jack stands without much trouble. I see you're in SD as well if you don't have a tuner yet, check out Excelsior Motorsports in Escondido. He does fantastic work, doesn't try to sell you on anything, and gives you honest, no B.S. answers.
My car is stock, M6 and Z06 exhaust. I know Kushan, I've had work done by him in the past.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:38 AM
VetteofSD
Racer

My car is stock, M6 and Z06 exhaust. I know Kushan, I've had work done by him in the past.
In that case you should be good to go! When I ordered my kit from A&A I chose the 4.0" pulley. So if you choose a smaller pulley it will make more power, just keep that in mind. I remember reading somewhere that it's roughly ~30-35RWHP for every 0.2 drop in pulley size. That was just some quick reference tip I found so it may be a more or less than that. If I were doing it again I'd probably get the 3.8 at least, but I wasn't going for max power. I drive mine every day so I didn't mind sacrificing a bit of HP for drivetrain longevity. The E85 will do a great job of cleaning out carbon build-up in your engine as you run it. Definitely worthwhile if you drive a lot or already have a decent amount of miles.

Last edited by VetteofSD; 12-16-2019 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:01 AM
sallen619
Drifting

In that case you should be good to go! When I ordered my kit from A&A I chose the 4.0" pulley. So if you choose a smaller pulley it will make more power, just keep that in mind. I remember reading somewhere that it's roughly ~30-35RWHP for every 0.2 drop in pulley size. That was just some quick reference tip I found so it may be a more or less than that. If I were doing it again I'd probably get the 3.8 at least, but I wasn't going for max power. I drive mine every day so I didn't mind sacrificing a bit of HP for drivetrain longevity. The E85 will do a great job of cleaning out carbon build-up in your engine as you run it. Definitely worthwhile if you drive a lot or already have a decent amount of miles.
I'm going to do a CARB legal build so if I go A&A it will be the 4" pulley. If not it will be the Edelbrock system with a LS9 cam. I want the most power with a CARB #.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:47 PM
VetteofSD
Racer

I'm going to do a CARB legal build so if I go A&A it will be the 4" pulley. If not it will be the Edelbrock system with a LS9 cam. I want the most power with a CARB #.
I considered that exact setup as well. This damn CARB stuff really limits what we can do. I decided to do the A&A instead since the kit was considerably less cost-wise. Plus it saved me the trouble of installing the cam. It's likely the more powerful of the two unless you pulley down. I will say this, since the supercharger head unit has the CARB stamp right on it, it's likely going to overshadow what pulley size is on it during an inspection. A lot of local CA members with the A&A kits have had 3.6 pulleys for years without issue. I can't think of any inspector that would pull up the CARB cert #, examine the entire system, and check that each component listed is present and correct. If you find that guy though, please let me know so I can stay far, far away!

Also, just be aware that the E85 conversion isn't "technically" CARB legal, even though it's more environmentally friendly But I don't know how you'd ever get in trouble with it. Smog stations just check for OBD readiness on our cars, and even if you had a sniff test, just don't have E85 in the tank. The supercharger system being present and having a CARB stamp is likely going to overshadow small things like this. Plenty of CA owners have done the conversion and drive regularly.

Here's a bit of info from the official regulation:
Certification of Alternative Fuel Retrofit Systems
"California regulations prohibit the conversion of emission-controlled vehicles with retrofit systems to operate on an alternative fuel, such as natural gas, propane, or ethanol, in lieu of the original gasoline or diesel fuel unless the retrofit systems have been evaluated and certified by the Air Resources Board (ARB). The certification of an alternative fuel retrofit system must be obtained by its manufacturer."

So even though we're doing something that's better for the environment, we aren't supposed to because our cars "should have come that way from the factory" in their eyes Now I'll admit, I didn't look very hard as to whether or not DSX was certified as a manufacturer, so they could be. It wasn't obviously listed on their site when I looked. You can call if you want to confirm it. Honestly though, I would have no issues with installing one in the future and I likely will.

It's that same sort of grey-area as installing a Z06 exhaust on the base cars. We're technically not allowed to have out catalytic converter position move from the factory position, but we're replacing it with a part that was allowed to be sold and used in CA. Are we CARB compliant? who knows. Long story short, CARB regulation is idiotic

Last edited by VetteofSD; 12-16-2019 at 05:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To LS2 A&A + E85 fuel system advice

Quick Reply: LS2 A&A + E85 fuel system advice