Notices
C6 Parts for Sale/Wanted C6 Corvette Performance Parts, OEM, Aftermarket, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements

New Product! C6 GM Replacement Pre-Painted A-Pillars + Posts! All Colors available!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 11:49 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by YWZ08
If you have a rivet gun and a drill it only takes minutes to drill out the rivets and put them on the new a pillars. Just make sure to use a smaller drill bit than the rivets and the new a pillars will already have the holes to line up and put the new rivets in.
what rivets are these?
Old 11-10-2011, 01:15 PM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Houston Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by petermj
what rivets are these?
Rivets are what hold the weather stripping to the A pillar. You drill them out and you can re rivet them if you'd like. I personally just put a screw in them to hold together...
Old 11-10-2011, 01:17 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Andrew6
Rivets are what hold the weather stripping to the A pillar. You drill them out and you can re rivet them if you'd like. I personally just put a screw in them to hold together...
no, LOL... I meant the type and size
Old 11-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Greenstealth
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YWZ08
If you have a rivet gun and a drill it only takes minutes to drill out the rivets and put them on the new a pillars. Just make sure to use a smaller drill bit than the rivets and the new a pillars will already have the holes to line up and put the new rivets in.
I ordered hydrocarbon ones last christmas and was told that the retainer or piece number five would be included. It wasn't but it wasn't particularly difficult to drill a few rivets out and pop a few in. Im reading about people going and buying new retainers... Are they not reusable? Mine seem to be working fine.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Greenstealth
Burning Brakes

what rivets are these?
I dont remember the exact size, just take the pillars off, and drill a rivet or two out and take an old piece of the rivet to the hardware store and match it up. if you have access to a drill with a small bit and a rivet gun, its very very easy to swap.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:57 PM
felo357
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

all of this and no picture before and after whats up RPI
Old 11-10-2011, 05:39 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Greenstealth
I ordered hydrocarbon ones last christmas and was told that the retainer or piece number five would be included. It wasn't but it wasn't particularly difficult to drill a few rivets out and pop a few in. Im reading about people going and buying new retainers... Are they not reusable? Mine seem to be working fine.
GM rubber ages not very well, if you get the new pillars, may as well get fresh rubber.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:44 PM
jpuli28
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And yet another customer told the retainer was included.

GM rubber ages not very well, if you get the new pillars, may as well get fresh rubber.
That was the whole point for me. But that so called included retainer costs another $190 w/new rivets retail.

Last edited by jpuli28; 11-10-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:49 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jpuli28
And yet another customer told the retainer was included. RPI step up.

That was the whole point for me. But that so called included retainer costs another $190 w/new rivets retail.
You can find it for half price online although I still do not know the right rivets for them and not sure if they come with them or not.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Greenstealth
Burning Brakes

Why would the rubber not age well? Its not like its exposed.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:00 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Yes it is exposed, you always drive with your windows up? GM rubber trim self destructs and looks ugly in no time, the rubber hardens for some reason real bad. C6 seems to be worse than my old C5.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:02 PM
jpuli28
Melting Slicks

You can find it for half price online although I still do not know the right rivets for them and not sure if they come with them or not.
I was able to get a slight discount despite our Corvette tax but the rivets do not come with the retainer.

It surely is exposed.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Greenstealth
Burning Brakes

And yet another customer told the retainer was included. RPI step up.

I didnt buy from rpi. You guys are really making a mountain of a molehill and to be honest you'd be throwing your money away paying for new retainers. Rivets aren't some mystical fastener, if you really dont want to tangle with them, take your old a pillar off and bring it to any decent garage and they'll swap the retainer onto the new A pillar for free to minimal cost. How do you suppose rpi could possibly sell the pillars for 240 or whatever and include the retainera which cost 190?
Old 11-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Greenstealth
Burning Brakes

Yes it is exposed, you always drive with your windows up? GM rubber trim self destructs and looks ugly in no time, the rubber hardens for some reason real bad. C6 seems to be worse than my old C5.
No, the rubber on piece number five is not exposed.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Greenstealth
Burning Brakes

Ill find a link. I should have taken pics of my install
Old 11-10-2011, 08:11 PM
jpuli28
Melting Slicks

I didnt buy from rpi. You guys are really making a mountain of a molehill and to be honest you'd be throwing your money away paying for new retainers. Rivets aren't some mystical fastener, if you really dont want to tangle with them, take your old a pillar off and bring it to any decent garage and they'll swap the retainer onto the new A pillar for free to minimal cost. How do you suppose rpi could possibly sell the pillars for 240 or whatever and include the retainera which cost 190?
Your absolutely right, however, had we known the TOTAL cost for these new A pillars would be $400+ there may have been different responses. Like another said and I agree if your gonna change it out change it all out cause my A pillars and retainer were destroyed by Florida sun. And it's a matter of principle moreover, if told it's included then it should be, otherwise say it's not were you happy when yours came without retainers after being told they were. You were fortunate and didn't have to replace them because they still looked good.

It may not be rubber per se but it is exposed trim and gets sun washed.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Greenstealth
Burning Brakes

Your absolutely right, however, had we known the TOTAL cost for these new A pillars would be $400+ there may have been different responses. Like another said and I agree if your gonna change it out change it all out cause my A pillars and retainer were destroyed by Florida sun. And it's a matter of principle moreover, if told it's included then it should be, otherwise say it's not were you happy when yours came without retainers after being told they were. You were fortunate and didn't have to replace them because they still looked good.

It may not be rubber per se but it is exposed trim and gets sun washed.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...-apillars.html

Naturally the pics were removed. The piece that needs to be riveted back on is not exposed to the sun, unless your car is parked on a mirror all day. Do what you want, I have no affiliation with rpi im just trying to help you guys out. I had the same anxiousness about pulling them off, but really, it's cake. I think the piece youre talking about is the weather stripping.

Get notified of new replies

To New Product! C6 GM Replacement Pre-Painted A-Pillars + Posts! All Colors available!

Old 11-11-2011, 12:25 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

mine seems to firmly on the outer edge of the A pillar trim and is completely exposed with the door closed along the edge of the side window. Maybe you should check again, there is a metal reinforcement inside as well.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:45 AM
thattexaskid19
Racer

excuse the iPhone quality photo, but i had mine painted black for pretty cheap. if you were wondering what black a-pillars on a black vette looks like, here ya go

Old 11-11-2011, 06:46 AM
Greenstealth
Burning Brakes

mine seems to firmly on the outer edge of the A pillar trim and is completely exposed with the door closed along the edge of the side window. Maybe you should check again, there is a metal reinforcement inside as well.
I did check again, I also had them apart to do this already. Good luck.

Quick Reply: New Product! C6 GM Replacement Pre-Painted A-Pillars + Posts! All Colors available!