Notices
C6 Parts for Sale/Wanted C6 Corvette Performance Parts, OEM, Aftermarket, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements

FS: Performance Lower Shifter Boxes

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 06:42 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Received 173 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
HOLY SMOKES!!!!!!! Guess I better do a check on mine.

Bill

If your gonna pull the console, you might as well do it no matter what, they are not getting any better, that's the sad truth. Generally the more miles you have on the car the worse they are and the bigger the difference you'll see by upgrading. For the money I don't think there's a easier \ better upgrade you can make to a corvette.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:38 AM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Been getting good feedback
Old 04-17-2018, 03:27 AM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Default Feedback

"Instantly on my list of FAVORITE MODIFICATIONS of ALL TIME! "
"Shocked at how much this little change has improved the shifting "
"EXCEEDED my EXPECTATIONS"

Here is a screenshot of the latest customer to install our shifter box.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:00 AM
Sellout
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I installed one of these shifter boxes in my 08 Z06 yesterday and meant to post a review of this shifter box here last night, but got busy and forgot. Sorry Tom, didn't mean to keep you waiting!

I reached out to Tom on here the day I found this thread, but he didn't have any lower boxes on hand. Apparently this is a pretty popular modification. No big deal, a few days later I received an email from him explaining that he was expecting some more cores to be coming in within a week, and that I could have a rebuilt Z06 box sent my way within a few days after they arrived. So I sent in the $225 to the paypal address he provided and about a week later I had the rebuilt box in my hands, with the solid Z06 mounting bushings I requested.

Then my work schedule got busy and I didn't get a chance to install it until yesterday. If you've ever pulled the shifter out to install a short shifter then you can probably imagine how easy it is to install this thing. But you can't imagine how much this shifter box can improve the shifting in these cars. My car had 38k miles on it. I was starting to notice some slop in the shifter and this has solved it completely. I mean previously it wouldn't feel very solidly "in gear" when you moved the shifter into say, third. Sometimes I found myself second guessing whether or not it was actually moved forward far enough to really be in gear.

That's all gone now. With this box installed, and no other modifications to the shifting mechanism whatsoever, my car feels as close as I imagine we can ever get to a shifter that's directly mounted onto a transmission in one of these cars. It's incredible. I mean that. It's night and day.

and for the record, I wasn't coming from a completely trashed shifter box like he's shown examples of in this thread. Mine was still clean inside, still had some nice grease around the bushings, but one small section of the rear bushing or seal had broken away and you could see it on the shaft a little bit away from the bushing. Otherwise my shifter box looked pretty normal so I kinda figured I wouldn't notice much in the way of feel but would walk away with a part that lasted longer and just be happy with that. I couldn't have been more wrong. Even with a shifter box that wasn't a total mess, this rebuilt box changed everything about the way my car shifts. I love this thing.
The following users liked this post:
TMODcustoms (05-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 04:41 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Thanks so much for the writeup @Sellout, we are happy to hear how much you like it, enjoy!
Old 04-18-2018, 10:23 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

I will be getting a handful of extra cores so I will have completed units to send out shortly. If your thinking about it now's the time !
Old 04-18-2018, 11:58 PM
jmoney127
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TMODcustoms
I will be getting a handful of extra cores so I will have completed units to send out shortly. If your thinking about it now's the time !
How much to have one by this Saturday? 49316 zip
Old 04-19-2018, 02:14 AM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by jmoney127

How much to have one by this Saturday? 49316 zip

I have a core here I am building right now, shot me an email and I'll work it out with you, if we have to expedite shipping it's no biggie, I can make it happen.

tmodcustoms@gmail.com
Old 04-23-2018, 01:31 AM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Shipping lots of shifter boxes! Thanks for the support everyone, I couldn't be happier that ev Old box disassembly .
Boxes are cleaned, media blasted, machined and reassembled.
Shafts are reconditioned.
Part of this weekend's orders.
eryone is enjoying them!
Old 04-23-2018, 05:55 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by DetroitPlac
Just wanted to add some more experience in here...

My shifter box and upper shifter are stock. All I did was send the box to Tom for rebuild, left the upper shifter stock C5. Chose delrin bushings.

The performance result is very much worth it. WAY more direct feeling. Vagueness or rubberyness that I experienced before is gone. Like the review above, my shifter box wasn't that bad. When I pulled it out to send it, I almost passed because it appeared to be so solid. But man, what a difference this made. For what he charges, this is a no brainer. Great work Tom!

Thanks so much!
Old 04-23-2018, 06:50 PM
Ahonk3honks
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

May be a silly question, but has anyone banged some gears with the new shifter boxes? I'm assuming it should improve the operation but ya never know
TMODcustoms (05-17-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 07:41 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Ahonk3honks
May be a silly question, but has anyone banged some gears with the new shifter boxes? I'm assuming it should improve the operation but ya never know

Well, I don't really count, but I did a whole bunch of "spirited driving" while I was testing out different ideas and things to try, mostly testing out different bushing materials. It's significantly tighter, crisper.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:42 PM
jmoney127
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Check your email. It’s rare I have to ask several times to buy something from a seller..
Old 04-25-2018, 11:58 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by jmoney127
Check your email. It’s rare I have to ask several times to buy something from a seller..
Replied, sorry. Your on the list as soon as I have one for you I'll shoot you a email. Getting cores in a day or two so it shouldn't be long.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:47 AM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

I have a bunch of Z06 boxes! If anyone wants to upgrade to a Z06 box, even if your box is a non-Z let me know. While they last!
Old 05-06-2018, 08:15 PM
kart57
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just installed one on my '05. Car has had shifting problems since I bought it a year ago with 48k miles. With the stock shifter it was hard to find third upshifting and did not downshift into second most of the time without a lot of force. I swapped the stock shifter for a Hurst Core shifter that I also cut down about 3/4". It was much better than the stock one but still had a hard time downshifting into second. Felt like it was binding up. I realigned the shifter box and linkage and it was good for about a day so that made me think it that it was the box not the transmission. Installed Tom's box this weekend and it feels 100% better. Nice crisp shifts and no downshifting problems. Great product! Thanks.
TMODcustoms (05-17-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 02:07 AM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Thanks for the kind words my friend! Happy to hear it!

Originally Posted by kart57
Just installed one on my '05. Car has had shifting problems since I bought it a year ago with 48k miles. With the stock shifter it was hard to find third upshifting and did not downshift into second most of the time without a lot of force. I swapped the stock shifter for a Hurst Core shifter that I also cut down about 3/4". It was much better than the stock one but still had a hard time downshifting into second. Felt like it was binding up. I realigned the shifter box and linkage and it was good for about a day so that made me think it that it was the box not the transmission.

Installed Tom's box this weekend and it feels 100% better. Nice crisp shifts and no downshifting problems. Great product! Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Performance Lower Shifter Boxes

Old 05-17-2018, 01:57 AM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Thanks so much!
Originally Posted by Sellout
I installed one of these shifter boxes in my 08 Z06 yesterday and meant to post a review of this shifter box here last night, but got busy and forgot. Sorry Tom, didn't mean to keep you waiting!

I reached out to Tom on here the day I found this thread, but he didn't have any lower boxes on hand. Apparently this is a pretty popular modification. No big deal, a few days later I received an email from him explaining that he was expecting some more cores to be coming in within a week, and that I could have a rebuilt Z06 box sent my way within a few days after they arrived. So I sent in the $225 to the paypal address he provided and about a week later I had the rebuilt box in my hands, with the solid Z06 mounting bushings I requested.

Then my work schedule got busy and I didn't get a chance to install it until yesterday. If you've ever pulled the shifter out to install a short shifter then you can probably imagine how easy it is to install this thing.

But you can't imagine how much this shifter box can improve the shifting in these cars.

My car had 38k miles on it. I was starting to notice some slop in the shifter and this has solved it completely. I mean previously it wouldn't feel very solidly "in gear" when you moved the shifter into say, third. Sometimes I found myself second guessing whether or not it was actually moved forward far enough to really be in gear.

That's all gone now. With this box installed, and no other modifications to the shifting mechanism whatsoever, my car feels as close as I imagine we can ever get to a shifter that's directly mounted onto a transmission in one of these cars. It's incredible. I mean that. It's night and day.

and for the record, I wasn't coming from a completely trashed shifter box like he's shown examples of in this thread. Mine was still clean inside, still had some nice grease around the bushings, but one small section of the rear bushing or seal had broken away and you could see it on the shaft a little bit away from the bushing. Otherwise my shifter box looked pretty normal so I kinda figured I wouldn't notice much in the way of feel but would walk away with a part that lasted longer and just be happy with that. I couldn't have been more wrong. Even with a shifter box that wasn't a total mess, this rebuilt box changed everything about the way my car shifts. I love this thing.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:43 AM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Here's a shot of the three different types of Torture Tube Bushings.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:43 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

I have been making these one at a time but it became obvious that wasn't fast enough. This is the fixture that holds eight caps at a time for the first set of operations.

If you guys want to see how they are made and let me know and I'll post some video of the next batch. Thanks for all the support!

Fixture for the first set of operations (Front End)

After first operations vs. finished parts.

Quick Reply: FS: Performance Lower Shifter Boxes