Notices
C6 Parts for Sale/Wanted C6 Corvette Performance Parts, OEM, Aftermarket, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements

FS: Performance Lower Shifter Boxes

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 11:59 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Received 173 Likes on 132 Posts

RKT Performance is stocking my shifter boxes now. If anyone in the Baltimore \ Washington D.C. area needs a box put in or any other work done give them a call.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:30 AM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,032 Likes on 1,200 Posts

I just realized this....how do you "center" the new lower boxes like the stock are done with the small round pin? Your new end caps have no hole in them for this.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:05 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Smitty, I’m not Tom, but I’m a supporter of his. I have an MGW (which I got way before I saw Tom’s work) and the round pin is no longer needed. MGW provides an ‘appliance’ which is temporarily bolted in place to locate the shift rod properly. Tom will elaborate I’m sure.
The following 2 users liked this post by chasboy:
smitty2919 (10-28-2018), TMODcustoms (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 10:23 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by smitty2919
I just realized this....how do you "center" the new lower boxes like the stock are done with the small round pin? Your new end caps have no hole in them for this.

You just need to center the box in the middle of the slop. The rest of the assembily has a little tiny bit of slop in it, like about 0.100in, that's about the thickness of five sheets of paper. when you put your new box in you'll see what I mean, the slop is in the linkage mostly. So you center the box in the middle of the slop, that will get you right where you want to be. I teel people this and they reply like I'm crazy, like there has to be more to it, there's not.

If anyone ever needs help aligning their box, or if they even think they might, I encourage them to simply let me know when they are going to be installing it and I will make sure to make myself available in case they have any questions or need a hand.

One thing that I have found helpful:

Draw a line across the front of your box, not on the box, at the bottom of the box, to mark how far forward it is, BEFORE you remove your old box. This will let you know your on the right track when installing the new box.

The factory pin with the hole in the box is a lousy design, it allows debris into the box, that's at least partially responsible for all the blown seals in everyone's boxes.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.
The following users liked this post:
smitty2919 (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 12:49 PM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,032 Likes on 1,200 Posts

Ahh, makes sense. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2018, 03:48 PM
Rick@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by TMODcustoms

RKT Performance is stocking my shifter boxes now. If anyone in the Baltimore \ Washington D.C. area needs a box put in or any other work done give them a call.
These are very nice pieces.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:39 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Rick@RKT Performance
These are very nice pieces.

Thanks buddy, glad you like them!
Old 10-30-2018, 10:48 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,714 Likes on 2,921 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Here's a review I typed up, along with the method I used for centering the box without the factory alignment pin:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nd-review.html

Last edited by Kracka; 10-30-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:42 PM
suburban
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Got my shifter a few days ago and finally had a chance to put it in. I already had the TMODCustoms lower box and thought it wasn’t going to get any better. It certainly did. There is absolutely no mistaking what gear you are going for. It feels like your grabbing the shift fork and putting it into gear every time I shift. He told me about the shifter handle spinning a bit due to the design of the shifter and I wondered how it would feel. In my opinion it was a bit odd for the first few times I drove the car but once I drove it a little more I hardly noticed it at all. TOms shifter is the most mechanical feeling shifter I’ve ever experienced and I couldn’t recommend it more.

Last edited by suburban; 11-01-2018 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Add pic
TMODcustoms (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 04:26 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Loving the good feedback!
Old 11-03-2018, 07:55 AM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Some pics for the weekend .
Old 11-03-2018, 10:52 AM
jost6453
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 150 Posts

Are you working on a design that will not spin? I like the reviews but would like to use my stock ****. It seems as if a RC60 needle bearing pressed through the center of the pivot ball would do the trick ..... if you can get a precision hole machined through the exact center of a hardened ball. And you might need to harden a slot in the box. Let us know if this is a possibility. I'd be interested. -DJ.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:40 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by jost6453
Are you working on a design that will not spin? I like the reviews but would like to use my stock ****. It seems as if a RC60 needle bearing pressed through the center of the pivot ball would do the trick ..... if you can get a precision hole machined through the exact center of a hardened ball. And you might need to harden a slot in the box. Let us know if this is a possibility. I'd be interested. -DJ.
I love the idea, but it's just not doable. I would have had to use a different bearing to keep the shaft from being able to rotate. I almost did, but this bearing is just a lot better I couldn't give up how smooth it is just to be able to run the factory ****. I just really don't like the factory **** personally, I know a lot of people do, I'm sorry but this is the only version I'm doing.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:55 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Ok, I get it. With a symmetrical **** the turning is not much of a factor.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:05 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by chasboy
Ok, I get it. With a symmetrical **** the turning is not much of a factor.
Yeah, with the lopsided ****, like the factory shifter, it makes it want to rotate more. With a round or symmetrical shaped ball it doesn't have leverage, if you will, twisting it in a odd direction. I don't know if that makes sense. It seems to me that if your shifting correctly, your only pushing or puling the **** in the direction it should be going, into whatever gear, it doesn't really "want" to rotate. But it can rotate, I don't want to make it seem like it doesn't, the biggest thing for me was just the feeling like "oh, my shift **** is loose", just a natural thing that you become aware of after driving a stick for years. Once you realize it's not the **** coming lose it stops registering in your head that something needs attention and you just don't notice it anymore. At lease that's what my experience has been. I don't mind it, if I thought people would mind it I would have just kept it for myself, haha.
chasboy (11-04-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 08:54 PM
suburban
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Put 500 miles on my new shifter this weekend and it gets more enjoyable with each shift.
TMODcustoms (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 02:58 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by romandian
are there two types of bushings, plastic and metal? why, whats the difference?

Three actually, Z06 boxes come with solid metal bushings.They are a little stiffer but you may feel some vibration, especially gong from non-Z box\bushings because the TT Bushings are there to dampen vibration. People who like them prefer the more "direct" and "stiff" feel. Delrin is what I recommend generally. It is a hard industrial plastic that dampens better than being solid mounted like the Z box but is more firm that the Polyurethane bushings which are the third option. Poly offers the most vibration dampening and most stock feel but unlike the factory rubber, Poly is a little firmer and lasts. The Rubber that the factory bushings are made out of is terrible, I have seen cars with 12K miles on them with the factory bushings completely deteriorated. It doesn't really even matter how many miles you put on the factory rubber bushings, they just break down over time.

Solid VS Z06
I make my own solid bushings. They are metal, they function the exact same way as the Z06 bushings do the only difference is that I make them to fit the non-z boxes. This way if you have a Z but you don't want to wait the extra time for a Z box to become available, because there are simply less of them, you can go with the solid bushings and have the same results without an increased wait time.

This being said the difference between all these bushings is not a huge difference. If you drove a car with unknown bushings I would say maybe 3 out of 10 people would be able to tell me what kind of bushing was in the box. If you drove the three different bushings on the same car back to back maybe 5 or 6 out or ten would be able to decipher the difference.

Get notified of new replies

To Performance Lower Shifter Boxes

Old 11-09-2018, 04:49 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Starting off the weekend with good feedback!
Old 11-10-2018, 08:40 AM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

​​​​​​
Lots of good feedback lately !
Old 11-10-2018, 11:39 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Great work deserves great feedback Tom!
btw, are any of the fires near you? Can’t believe what’s going on.
TMODcustoms (11-12-2018)

Quick Reply: FS: Performance Lower Shifter Boxes