C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LC1 Hook up w/HPTuners?

Old 05-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Default LC1 Hook up w/HPTuners?

I am new to tuning, but found the need to learn, so I bought HP Tunners Pro, an LC1, Bannish's books and Maslic's book. Where I live, there are no chassis dyno's or pro tuners to rely on within close proximity, which is why I'm going this. Well that I just want to learn it as well.... I like to work on my own rigs.

I just swapped cams and ported heads on my 08 Z06, and have it ready to hit the start button today. A pro tuner took pity on me, and was kind enough to send me a base tune for the engine mods. The "plan" was to tune the car the best I could without the aid of a dyno, then trailer it to the only dyno available for final tweaking (300 miles away from me, and over two mountain passes).

So getting to my question(s), I have been reviewing the LC1 wiring diagrams, HP Tuner diagrams and instructions, and watched a very informative video from "The Tuning School" demonstrating how to set up the LC1 in HP Tuners. It looks like I hook up the LC1's analogue output to #1 on the MPVI's green input strip.

What I don't get is the ground. The LC1 instructions say to bundle the system and heater grounds and then run them common to the engine block. But then the HP Tuners instructions say to run the LC1 ground to the #5 input on the green input strip. It doesn't say which ground either...

So where should I run the LC1's ground wires??

The LC1 instructions say to run the 12V input to a switched and 5 amp fused - 12V source, but I've read on the forums where folks like to run straight to the battery.... Where do you guys hook the 12V supply?? Do you use a fuse?

What about the calibration switch and LED, any suggestions how to mount them so that they are mobile? I do not intend to keep the LC1 mounted on the car, but would rather hook it up when I'm in the mood to tweak the tun a bit, and maybe use it on another rig. Plus, I'll probably just run the wires through the passenger side window, down through the hood opening to the sensor, but I'm envisioning a cord orgy before I'm done plugging everything into the laptop. There's got to be a more logical and organized way to do this.... How do the professionals route all these wires / cables??
Old 05-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

I'll answer my own question....

I tied all grounds together with a 6' wire with a spring clip to the block and a wire to the #5 post on the MPVI E/I input strip.

I ran a second 6' wire with an in line fuse to the battery post, using another spring clip.

As an experiment, I used a plastic box to mount the LED, a 12V toggle switch for the supply and the calibration button. I should have used a bigger box that I could just wrap up the cables and the LC1, stuff them into the box when done.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Buddy A
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

That was it? Are you leaving the Assembly hooked up? Or removing it was tuning is complete?
Thanks,
Buddy
Old 05-11-2012, 04:08 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Ya, that was it, pretty anti-climatic. I only intend to use the sensor for tuning. By the way it's running right now, that might be a long process.

Get notified of new replies

To LC1 Hook up w/HPTuners?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LC1 Hook up w/HPTuners?