C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

general handheld and tune questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 09:47 AM
NY3quartrs5-oh
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default general handheld and tune questions

I'll try and make a long story short: I recently bought a 2007 a6 that had a harmonic balancer problem. Went to a dealer and had it replaced and when i went to pick it up i was talking to the mechanic that did the work. He told me i have a custom tune in the car and was going to flash the stock tune if i wanted to. I told him no because i didn't know to much about the car yet and if it will harm if stock gets put back on. He was certain that the only thing he can see that was not stock was an axel back exhaust. (no headers, cam or anything else.) Since i don't know who's or what tune is on there i would like to get a diablo trinity or in-tune and put a canned tune on there for now and maybe have someone tweak it in the future after adding other things...

So my questions are these: (Assuming the current tune is not locked)

1. If i get a diablo, can i just remove the current tune and install their tune instead or does it have to be removed by the method used to install the current tune.

2. if it is locked and i can't use the diablo, can i sell it or is it now locked to my specific car?

3. If all goes well and i get the diablo tune in my car, is there a place i can get a copy of my stock tune in case i want to switch back and forth? (extended warranty work)

4. do both the in-tune and trinity do trans and engine tune?

Thanks to all that can help.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:02 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by NY3quartrs5-oh
I'll try and make a long story short: I recently bought a 2007 a6 that had a harmonic balancer problem. Went to a dealer and had it replaced and when i went to pick it up i was talking to the mechanic that did the work. He told me i have a custom tune in the car and was going to flash the stock tune if i wanted to. I told him no because i didn't know to much about the car yet and if it will harm if stock gets put back on. He was certain that the only thing he can see that was not stock was an axel back exhaust. (no headers, cam or anything else.) Since i don't know who's or what tune is on there i would like to get a diablo trinity or in-tune and put a canned tune on there for now and maybe have someone tweak it in the future after adding other things...

So my questions are these: (Assuming the current tune is not locked)

1. If i get a diablo, can i just remove the current tune and install their tune instead or does it have to be removed by the method used to install the current tune.

2. if it is locked and i can't use the diablo, can i sell it or is it now locked to my specific car?

3. If all goes well and i get the diablo tune in my car, is there a place i can get a copy of my stock tune in case i want to switch back and forth? (extended warranty work)

4. do both the in-tune and trinity do trans and engine tune?

Thanks to all that can help.
1. Intune will replace the tune, Trinity bases the tune it loads on the backup it reads out.
2. If the tool can't save the 'stock' file, it's not married at all.
3. Dealer
4. Yes.

I'd actually suggest letting the dealer flash the PCM. I'd also like to know how he 'knew' the car was tuned
Old 10-27-2013, 01:33 PM
NY3quartrs5-oh
Racer

Something to the effect of after the balancer change they had to reprogram or relearn something and that's how they found out. Not 100% sure
Old 10-27-2013, 10:49 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Odd. I guess it may have needed a crank relearn, but I don't see why they would check the CVNs for that, but who knows. Regardless, if it had been flashed with one of our tools, they never would have known

Thanks
Old 10-27-2013, 11:14 PM
NY3quartrs5-oh
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
Odd. I guess it may have needed a crank relearn, but I don't see why they would check the CVNs for that, but who knows. Regardless, if it had been flashed with one of our tools, they never would have known

Thanks
maybe they wanted to get more money out of me by getting me to say yes to a reflash? who knows, but your last comment is convincing me to get a diablo as soon as i figure out what i have now!

Get notified of new replies

To general handheld and tune questions

Quick Reply: general handheld and tune questions