C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No skip-shift..........already tuned?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 09:06 PM
LJAS
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No skip-shift..........already tuned?

Traded my 2011 base coupe for a 2009 Z06.

Have the Diablosport In-Tune that I had in the 2011, and was planning to use it in the Z06.

Just driving around getting used to the new car, I noticed that it never tries to skip shift. -no matter how I drive it.

This is what seems to be a completely un-molested car with no mods, low miles, original air filter, brake pads and rotors (never been tracked) A true garage queen.

Got the car from a fairly large Chevrolet dealer. One owner, older guy that originally bought it there, then traded it back for a new C7.

I can't imagine this car already having been tuned, but why else would the skip-shift not work.

I don't want skip-shift to work, but I don't want to try to use the In-Tune if there's already something up with the ECM.

Do I need to flash the ECM with stock GM software before tuning it with the In-Tune?

Old 12-02-2014, 10:09 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

There is a small plug in device that can be installed on the side of the transmission that will disable the skip-shift - it may not be the tune. Search "skip shift" on this forum and the tech forum for exact description.

Last edited by jim2092; 12-02-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:43 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

If you let the tool read the backup and email it to me I can see if it has been tuned before
Old 12-02-2014, 07:13 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Skip shift is not related to the tune. As a previous poster said, it is a small wiring harness modification to the solenoid on the transmission. ON THE TUNE -- NO NO NO - the tune for a base engine 2011 will not work on a Z06 !! These are two drastically different engines and you will end up with big problems if you install it on the ECM for the Z06.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:20 PM
LJAS
Heel & Toe

I am not going to install a tune for a base Corvette on a Z06.
I have an In-Tune.
My understanding of this tuner is that it can be used on multiple vehicles (one at a time).
When you plug it in to the OBD-II connector, it pulls the VIN and knows the appropriate tune for the vehicle it's plugged into.
Before I traded cars, I returned the 2011 back to stock, so my tuner is now ready to be used on another car.

Skip-shift is a PCM/ECM output dependent on things like engine temp, vehicle speed, throttle input, MAF / MAP input, and such.
Being an output solenoid driver function, (like the cooling fan operation) a handheld tuner should have the ability to dis-able the skip-shift solenoid.
I am aware of the wire harness do-hicky, and did not see that on the car.

I am a repair shop owner. ASE certified master tech, including L-1 certification.
I have a J-2534 flash programmer and flash GM and many other makes on a regular basis (OEM software for new controllers / and updates)
I am not an idiot and have a pretty good idea about 'whats up with cars'.

I can find out on my own what 'tune' or software is in the ECM now.
Just thought I'd ask you guys there was any insight about any Z06's that didn't have skip-shift, or if it for sure had an aftermarket tune, or the dis-able wiring. ( which it doesn't.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:40 AM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

[QUOTE=CHJ In Virginia;1588394037]Skip shift is not related to the tune. QUOTE]

You can tune out the skip shift, or purchase a sensor that by passes the skip shift mode.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:43 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I just checked the tune in the ECM for a 2009 ZO6 and it does contain Manual C.A.G.S. (aka skip shift) settings like other manual C6's.

Disable TPS - 13%
Enable speed - 16 mph
Disable speed - 19 mph
etc.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:31 PM
LJAS
Heel & Toe

............thanks guys.

Car must have some kind of aftermarket tune.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:24 PM
vforrest
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW...I got rid of my skip shift when I put on my SC last year. While they tuned it with HP tuners they just went into the temperature table that kicks in the solenoid and raise the limit to like 500 degree's (a temp that the car could never reach) so it never engages. Yes there is a temperature range that the car has to be in both low and high for it to kick in...not hard to correct.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:32 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,016 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Does the 1 to 4 light in the dash come on or not?

The CAGS solenoid in the trans can be bypassed via a $1.50 resistor fuse in the engine fuse box, while the if the light is not coming on, then the CAGS bypass was done in the tune instead (throttle percentages changed for bypass of the Cags engagement system).

http://xse.com/leres/z06/cags.html
Old 12-14-2014, 06:58 PM
LJAS
Heel & Toe

Hooked up the In-Tune and installed the Diablo tune.
No problems whatsoever.

First thing in the menu is 'disable CAGS' -yes or no.

My 2011 didn't have the option for that as it was an automatic.

Get notified of new replies

To No skip-shift..........already tuned?

Quick Reply: No skip-shift..........already tuned?