C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To lockup or not lockup converter in 3rd gear at WOT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 12:02 PM
NitrousMan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default To lockup or not lockup converter in 3rd gear at WOT?

Hey guys, running a boosted LS7 with an A4 and I've heard mixed thoughts on whether or not you should lockup the converter in 3rd gear at WOT. I'm running a Vigilante 3800 multi-disc converter in an RPM stage 6 A4. Any reason to not have it lockup at WOT on the street? I know it gives you higher dyno numbers to lock it but do you really gain much on the street? Thanks.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:00 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by NitrousMan
Hey guys, running a boosted LS7 with an A4 and I've heard mixed thoughts on whether or not you should lockup the converter in 3rd gear at WOT. I'm running a Vigilante 3800 multi-disc converter in an RPM stage 6 A4. Any reason to not have it lockup at WOT on the street? I know it gives you higher dyno numbers to lock it but do you really gain much on the street? Thanks.
How much of a MPH or ET gain you end up seeing from locking the converter is a general indication of how efficient the converter is.

With my Yank SS4000 as an example, I've made back to back runs with it to compare unlocked vs. locked and saw a 1MPH gain but almost no ET reduction. Other converters (like your Vigilante) do show noticeable gains due to the fact they're not as efficient as they could be while unlocked.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:51 PM
NitrousMan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
How much of a MPH or ET gain you end up seeing from locking the converter is a general indication of how efficient the converter is.

With my Yank SS4000 as an example, I've made back to back runs with it to compare unlocked vs. locked and saw a 1MPH gain but almost no ET reduction. Other converters (like your Vigilante) do show noticeable gains due to the fact they're not as efficient as they could be while unlocked.
I may have to take my laptop and try it both ways at the track to see if I notice any differences in ET or MPH. I just don't want to burn up the converter. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To To lockup or not lockup converter in 3rd gear at WOT?

Quick Reply: To lockup or not lockup converter in 3rd gear at WOT?