C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wideband controller selection for HPT

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 09:56 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Wideband controller selection for HPT

I'd like to use a permanently mounted AFR gauge for HPTs wideband input but the gauges/controller I like don't show up on the list of supported controllers. Why does the VCM care which controller is used since it just plots the 0-5v analog external input?

End result I want to use a Autometer's 6197 analog or RS232 out as an input to the VCM
Old 08-07-2016, 03:14 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ_phil
Why does the VCM care which controller is used since it just plots the 0-5v analog external input?

Because that 0-5 volts corresponds to different air fuel ratios depending on the wideband controller. Some correspond to 9-16 AFR, 6-20 AFR, etc. HPT needs to know what your monitor is set for to display the proper parameters on the scan corresponding to the 0-5v input.

Somewhere in the setup on HPT you can define your own custom parameter for AFR if one of the predefined options it offers doesn't have the same values as your own unit.

It also looks like you can adjust the output of the Autometer 6197 to different values in the 'bar graph' display which also affects the 0-5v output. Set that up to any of the HPT AFR units that match your range and should be good. For instance, the Ballenger AFR500v2 has a AFR of 9-16, if you set the Autometer to that range is should display properly on the scan.

It also makes a difference if you're using gasoline or meth when picking your ranges.
The following users liked this post:
NJ_phil (08-07-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 03:59 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Like JFT said, if it isn't in the list, just have to program it yourself. Super easy.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:11 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

That clears it up for me. I think the 619x defaults to a 10:1 to 16:1 "range" and outputs a linear 0-5v output but min/max of the gauge can be programmed tighter or looser and voltage output tracks proportionally. Then making a custom, checking off linear to avoid a manual entry for each .1v and entering y = ((6/5) * v) + 10 for the formula.

I thought it was more complicated and was thrown off by the posts I've been reading on that site and hearing how to send in a request to "support" a new controller. Configuring a custom is cake.

I'll just start off in Lambda in case I play with fuel later

Thanks man. Nice Camaro. Had a 72 split bumper with an L88 back in the 80s. Love that car till they stole it
Old 08-07-2016, 08:29 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Thanks man. Nice Camaro. Had a 72 split bumper with an L88 back in the 80s. Love that car till they stole it
Ughhh...that would suck to get it stolen. This one has a LS6 454 that's been heavily modified. More fun than a small block
Old 08-08-2016, 11:53 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

That clears it up for me. I think the 619x defaults to a 10:1 to 16:1 "range" and outputs a linear 0-5v output but min/max of the gauge can be programmed tighter or looser and voltage output tracks proportionally. Then making a custom, checking off linear to avoid a manual entry for each .1v and entering y = ((6/5) * v) + 10 for the formula.

I thought it was more complicated and was thrown off by the posts I've been reading on that site and hearing how to send in a request to "support" a new controller. Configuring a custom is cake.

I'll just start off in Lambda in case I play with fuel later

You can send an email to support to have a particular WB added to the list of ones that are included, but it's still super easy to use whatever you want. As long as it has a linear 0-5V output then it's literally two values, takes 5 seconds.. no big deal.

People are lazy. That's all.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:26 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by schpenxel
You can send an email to support to have a particular WB added to the list of ones that are included, but it's still super easy to use whatever you want. As long as it has a linear 0-5V output then it's literally two values, takes 5 seconds.. no big deal.

People are lazy. That's all.
agreed.. You know their stuff pretty good and I'd rather just use a USB-RS232 adapter right into the laptop and bypass the analog signal to the VCM all together. Probably less noisy and still connects using 2 wires. (RxD + GND). The gauge just broadcasts AF readings is ASCII. e.g "12.7", @ 9600 baud.

That should be easy too, but don't see where to configure it.

Last edited by NJ_phil; 08-08-2016 at 12:27 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-08-2016, 12:34 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Serial connectivity is being added on a case by case basis--every manufacturer has their own set of protocols for their serial outputs, so that isn't quite as simple as a y=mx+b style formula that is needed for 0-5V outputs

Innovate and AEM's serial connections are mostly working now but I haven't seen anyone request it for your WB, so it won't work

So, stick with the 0-5V output. That's really your only option right now

If you can find details on Autometer's serial protocols I can send it in and ask them to try to add it.. but without HPT having one of those WB's in their hands it's hit or miss. Innovate for example didn't even follow it's own protocols

(and no guarantees they'll even add if it I ask)

Or you could get a super fancy new AEM 30-0333 w/CAN bus connectivity.

Last edited by schpenxel; 08-08-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:40 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Serial connectivity is being setup on a case by case basis--every manufacturer has their own set of protocols for their serial outputs, so that isn't quite as simple as a y=mx+b style formula that is needed for 0-5V outputs

Innovate and AEM's serial connections are mostly working now but I haven't seen anyone request it for your WB, so it won't work

So, stick with the 0-5V output
That's just the case for serial. No need for a formula since data comes out of the gauge, ready to go. No scaling or linearity to deal with. I think AEMs-4110 is already supported and doubt the protocol on the 619x is different. I'll compare both data sheets to confirm

thx
Old 08-08-2016, 12:44 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I hope they do end up being the same--let us know if so.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:53 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

I hope they do end up being the same--let us know if so.
Protocol and baud is exactly the same except for a slightly different format of the gauge power up banner which is probably ignored anyway. Also took a look at the wiring for the 4110 and 6197 and the 4110 has a common GND for chassis and signal lines while the 6197 has separate grounds which I think are isolated and not just tied together at the connector because each gnd wire is a different color. I would think better analog out signal quality on the 6197, moot when using serial out.

So I'll give the RS232 a try and then fall back to analog out if that don't work
Old 08-08-2016, 12:56 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Sounds good.

AEM has a similar setup as far as grounds go. When I overlaid the CAN data vs. 0-5V output for the same WB the two readings were literally identical with maybe 3-5 milliseconds of delay on the 0-5V output. I was very impressed..

So, if auto meter has a similar setup I would expect it to be accurate. One of the guys the HPT forum works at a lab that tests widebands. He's found serial outputs to actually be slower than the newer 0-5V outputs.

Either way.. doubt it's a huge deal given the application.

Hopefully whichever one you want to use ends up working.

Last edited by schpenxel; 08-08-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:06 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

I looked at so much stuff the last 2 weeks I can remember, but pretty sure the actual 02 sensor response time was about 100 ms, not sure if that was NTK or Bosch. The serial is 9600 baud, 10 bits (data+overhead) so it should spit out AFRs ever millisecond, 100 x faster than the response time of the sensor.

Calling that good enough.

Get notified of new replies

To Wideband controller selection for HPT

Quick Reply: Wideband controller selection for HPT