C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Active Handling

Old 09-25-2016, 03:30 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Service Active Handling

So the gremlins are afoot in my car. After losing the Kenne Bell BAP at around 75 on my 2012 GS Supercharged vette, getting it bypassed so I could get the car running and get back to Houston.

On the way back I had a car pull out in front of me causing me to hit the brakes pretty hard. Suddenly I have Reduced Engine Power, and Service Active Handling and the CEL. After pulling off the freeway at a gas station, and starting and stopping the car 3 times, got it to reset so I could get home. Still had the CEL though.

As I was driving and decelerated coming off the freeway close to home, got the Reduced Engine Power and Service Active Handling again. Able to get it cleared with a few restarts again.

Got home and grabbed my InTune to read the codes, CEL was clear, only had one code - P 2158. Haven't found that one in my listing of codes.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-25-2016, 06:00 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

That code is for a "vehicle speed sensor"
The following users liked this post:
Woodstoc (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 09:32 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Beginning to think it may be related to the Vitesse Controller I installed when I installed the Heartbeat. Saw a post about a few others having the same symptoms I started having. It changes the throttle response, so could be related to TPS not matching the Throttle position. Recalibrated it, will see if that helps. If it happens again, going to bypass the Vitesse and see what happens.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:10 PM
RPOWU8
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Check brake fluid level. I have had that cause problems with traction control, abs, electronic stability control on other GM cars in the past.

Top it off and good to go. Not sure it applies to the Corvette but easy to check/test.

DJ
Old 09-26-2016, 11:19 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Make sure that code is for a speed sensor. I have the FSMs up through 2009 and that code doesn't exist. Some of the info I have seen when I googled the code is it also relates to a engine timing issue. The P2158 seems to show up on Mercedes and VWs.

A CEL in conjunction with a Service TC or AH message usually indicates a problem with the engine control circuits. The fact that you went into reduced power also indicates the problem is in the engine. If you are using an OBD II scanner that can't read ABS codes don't believe anything about a speed sensor not agreeing with a wheel speed sensor until you do some more research. The EBCM reads the wheel speed sensors and the ECM reads the vehicle speed sensor. Two different modules. Usually the EBCM does all of the AH or TC stuff and only requests torque control changes from the ECM when needed. That is how the CEL generates a Service Message. The EBCM requests a reduction in torque and the ECM has a problem and sends a code back to the EBCM saying I have a problem. That code sets a code in the EBCM that says the problem isn't here and triggers the Service Message. P2158 doesn't show up in the C7 official list of diagnostic codes either.

There is just enough grey area here that you need to be careful before following a diagnostic path that leads you in the wrong direction.

Based on the manuals I have in hand we know this: From 1997 through 2009 and from 2014 through 2016 P2158 isn't a code that GM says occurs on a Corvette. The only difference in the 3 missing years is GM introduced PTM and Launch Control in 2010. That was a software change and it isn't obvious the hardware changed other than the firmware loaded into the EBCM which would have changed the part number of the EBCM.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 09-26-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:50 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Make sure that code is for a speed sensor. I have the FSMs up through 2009 and that code doesn't exist. Some of the info I have seen when I googled the code is it also relates to a engine timing issue. The P2158 seems to show up on Mercedes and VWs.

A CEL in conjunction with a Service TC or AH message usually indicates a problem with the engine control circuits. The fact that you went into reduced power also indicates the problem is in the engine. If you are using an OBD II scanner that can't read ABS codes don't believe anything about a speed sensor not agreeing with a wheel speed sensor until you do some more research. The EBCM reads the wheel speed sensors and the ECM reads the vehicle speed sensor. Two different modules. Usually the EBCM does all of the AH or TC stuff and only requests torque control changes from the ECM when needed. That is how the CEL generates a Service Message. The EBCM requests a reduction in torque and the ECM has a problem and sends a code back to the EBCM saying I have a problem. That code sets a code in the EBCM that says the problem isn't here and triggers the Service Message. P2158 doesn't show up in the C7 official list of diagnostic codes either.

There is just enough grey area here that you need to be careful before following a diagnostic path that leads you in the wrong direction.

Based on the manuals I have in hand we know this: From 1997 through 2009 and from 2014 through 2016 P2158 isn't a code that GM says occurs on a Corvette. The only difference in the 3 missing years is GM introduced PTM and Launch Control in 2010. That was a software change and it isn't obvious the hardware changed other than the firmware loaded into the EBCM which would have changed the part number of the EBCM.

Bill
I couldn't find it either. I thought I had a complete list of the C5 and C6 codes I've collected. I recalibrated the Vitesse controller last night, and it did not come back on the trip to Ft. Worth today (300 miles of some various speeds and braking). Not sure about the connection, but just doing the easy diagnostics first.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:10 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Here's where I found the code, for whatever it's worth

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...y-andrew-quinn
Old 09-26-2016, 02:46 PM
VitesseMotorsports
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Are you sure it's P2158 , not P2138 ?