C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unable to detect the vehicles diagnostic protocol. HELP!!!! 2006 E38

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 05:02 PM
regorih
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Unable to detect the vehicles diagnostic protocol. HELP!!!! 2006 E38

Hey guys I need some help fixing a problem I'm having with my 2006 C6 that I'm tuning. The current issue I'm having is that I can't connect to the car's ECU and I'm getting an "Unable to detect the vehicles diagnostics protocol".

A couple days ago I was doing some street pulls and data logging the car, once I had enough information I would pull over at a gas station and make corrections to my fuel tables then reflash the new changes and start again to data log over and over. On the way back home I collected additional information via the data logger and decided to flash those changes the following day. The following day I tried to reflash the new changes from the previous night and that's when I started to get the "Unable to detect the vehicles diagnostic protocol".

I then tried disconnecting the car's battery and ECU fuse with no luck. If I plug the VCM controller to the OBD-II port without a laptop, the VCM controller has power and a green light. If I try and turn the car on, it fires up with no issues. I also connected to a 1999 C5 without any issues and been able to read and reflash the C5 ECU.

I have also emailed HPTuners support and they been helping me out and after some emails they suggested that I try connecting to a C6 similar to the C6 I'm having issues with to rule out the VCM controller. I'm in no way trying to go over HPTuners support but since it's the weekend and I was just able to get a hold of a C6 car today to test their suggestion, I would like to try and get this resolved this weekend if it's an issue with the car.

So today I was able to connect to a 2007 Colorado to do a VAST disable and I was able to read a tune file on a 2010 C6. I think is safe to say that the VCM controller is not a fault.
At this point I'm lost and could use the communities help and suggestions.

Thanks

Update:

I tried another different interface from a friend and got the same message error. I feel very confident that it's not the interface at fault. At this time I feel the issue is isolated to the car, but I just don't know where to begin.

Roger

Quick Reply: Unable to detect the vehicles diagnostic protocol. HELP!!!! 2006 E38