C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Source for understanding 2008 ECM?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 10:06 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Running it on VMWare on mine, have been for years, no issues.

Just turn it on when you need HPTuners, turn off when you're done, no restarting required

Last edited by schpenxel; 03-03-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:29 AM
Midnight08
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Running it on VMWare on mine, have been for years, no issues.

Just turn it on when you need HPTuners, turn off when you're done, no restarting required
Interesting. Perhaps things have improved since the time I was working with it. It was not reliable in those days and since this was typically in business context, I never recommended people live with the hassles that we encountered.

Have to do a little digging here, as I have a couple of very capable Apple laptops that would have plenty of computing power.

Am I correct that the only physical connection(s) would be via USB, or wireless network connection?
Old 03-03-2017, 10:29 AM
poughkeepsie
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
If you want to check out HPTuners, the software is free to download. The download is the full blown version, you just can't save or write new tunes without having an interface

So if you ever want to check out tunes or logs or anything like that you can do so without having to spend a dime..

I have stock tunes for just about everything out there if there's any in particular you want to look at

http://files.hptuners.com/VCM%20Suite/VCM%20Suite.msi
Can you send me a stock tune for an 05 base? ta_mike@hotmail.com thanks
Old 03-03-2017, 10:40 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight08
Interesting. Perhaps things have improved since the time I was working with it. It was not reliable in those days and since this was typically in business context, I never recommended people live with the hassles that we encountered.

Have to do a little digging here, as I have a couple of very capable Apple laptops that would have plenty of computing power.

Am I correct that the only physical connection(s) would be via USB, or wireless network connection?
You can DL the HPT SW from their WS with nothing more than an internet connection and, as said, you can look you just cannot touch.

If you go the full route, you'll pruchase an HPT interface that is USB on the computer side.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 03-03-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:46 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Yep, it has come a long way.. it is very reliable now. I don't recall of ever having an issue? I have 16gb ram on my MacBook so it runs just fine like that. I think I allocated up to 8gb for VMWare (only used when it's active of course). Parallels is another option but I have not used that one very much (no issues, just got used to VMware first and stuck with it)

Connection is via USB

You can always do the dual boot option, it just isn't nearly as convenient IMO

Originally Posted by poughkeepsie
Can you send me a stock tune for an 05 base? ta_mike@hotmail.com thanks
Yes I'll send you one in a few

Last edited by schpenxel; 03-03-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:40 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Yeah - that is more of mess in reality than on paper. You end up with three environments. True Apple platform - a mixed breed software platform that emulates the hardware foundation for Windows, and a kludgy, sometimes problematic port of Windows that can be a pain, for knowledgeable Windows people, as it doesn't work/perform the same as Windows running on hardware designed for it. In my business, when I had a customer that had needs only supported by the Windows platform, the wise choice was always to go with the correct hardware and platform. In a few instances duel boot worked, but very few. It was just a matter of wisdom. Emulating the hardware is easier on paper than it works in practice - at least in the areas that I was exposed to.
There is no issue running Windows on a Mac for something like HPT. Use Bootcamp for the least kludginess or use Virtualbox if you just want something cheap and easy to setup/teardown. The keyboard is really the biggest pain for me, but it's a matter of training your brain.. it's not really a software issue.

I tried using HPT on a MBA several years ago using a commercial hypervisor. However, like you suggested, I bought a cheapo Windows machine because I wanted touch screen and tablet functionality. You don't need those things to demo HPT though.

Last edited by Tech; 03-03-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:41 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Well, I think we have a solution for Windows. I have a MacBook Pro that is loaded (lots of RAM, fast processors) and I only use it when I travel and have room for a full sized laptop. This, via BootCamp should work just fine. Dual Boot and Windows 10 on an external USB3 SSD drive will work for what little I will be doing in that environment. In the process of getting a game plan to implement this, then I'll have the Windows support I need for whatever tuning stuff I dig into.

Quick Reply: Source for understanding 2008 ECM?