C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should have checked here first .

Old 03-08-2017, 08:23 PM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

Default Should have checked here first .

My oil,pressure gauge is pegged and I suspected a failed sensor. I've always assumed the sensor behind the intake manifold was the one that drove the gauge.
So, I bounce over to my local Chev dealer to buy a new sensor and the counter guy insists that the gauge is driven by the cylinder head sensor.
Being a gullible moron, I believed him and bought the sensor. Inasmuch as my car has a FlipDrive, getting to the sensor was more involved than a stock set up, but a whole lot easier that replacing the rear sensor.
Anyway, spend a few hours this afternoon replacing the cylinder head sensor, and the gauge is still,pegged.

So, my question is....

1. Was I correct the first time and the right sensor is the rear one.

2. If #1 is correct, should I go back to the dealer and **** on the parts counter.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:13 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

The parts guy is an idiot

The sensor you need to change is behind the intake manifold

On factory intake it can be done with the intake on but puling intake doesn't take long so it's not bad either way.

Don't over torque the sensor or intake bolts

Last edited by schpenxel; 03-08-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:28 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

What cylinder head sensor? The coolant temp sensor? That is the only sensor threaded into the cylinder heads.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:42 PM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
What cylinder head sensor? The coolant temp sensor? That is the only sensor threaded into the cylinder heads.
The parts counter idiot at the stealership said the one behind the intake spoke to the ECM and the cylinder head sensor spoke to the gauge.
When I removed the cylinder head sensor, a small amount of oil trickled out, so it is definitely an oil pressure sensor.

But, it doesn't fix a pegged gauge !!
Old 03-16-2017, 04:42 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I'm not really sure what sensor it could be that you replaced to be honest. I'm almost sure the oil pressure is fed to the ECM from the sending unit behind the intake then the data is sent out over the CAN bus for the gauge to read.

Last edited by schpenxel; 03-16-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:33 PM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by EuroRod
The parts counter idiot at the stealership said the one behind the intake spoke to the ECM and the cylinder head sensor spoke to the gauge.
When I removed the cylinder head sensor, a small amount of oil trickled out, so it is definitely an oil pressure sensor.

But, it doesn't fix a pegged gauge !!
Like others have said that is the coolant sensor. If you have oil coming from there you have more to be concerned with than a pegged oil pressure gauge! Coolant sensor is left(forward) of cylinder #1, drivers side head.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:53 AM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I know someone that actually loosened the 4 cradle bolts to drop the cradle and engine to make room to get to the oil sensor. I believe it includes dropping the shocks or dropping the upper A arm too as the spring keeps the cradle up unless one of those is dropped. Not a suggestion, just sharing.

Get notified of new replies

To Should have checked here first .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should have checked here first .