C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM HP Tuners Level 1 Beginners/Intermediate

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 04:11 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default GM HP Tuners Level 1 Beginners/Intermediate

Has anyone ordered this online course? I just wanted to hear some feedback if so. I'm new to tuning and have been trying to research the forums. This seems like a good step by step process to learn HP tuners. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:12 PM
Racer

Sorry, online course from thetuningschool.com
Old 04-12-2017, 02:51 PM
BigBlok502
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 305 Likes on 220 Posts

I bought the Level 1 course. Although it seems to be a steep price to pay, it does walk you through step by step on tuning. And it's a handy reference manual after your first use. I also bought the wide band through them too. The videos they send you are a bit dated, at least when I got mine a year ago, so I relied on the ones they have on YouTube. If you do buy, I suggest you read the entire manual before attempting your first tune.

I've used it on my 2006 with Kooks LTs and HF Cats with the wide band hooked up. Fortunately I live in a rural environment and it is easy for me to do multiple "pulls" on the street for tuning. I would make a few, pull to the side of the road and adjust the tune, and then upload the new tune for comparison.

I also used it to remove the torque management from my Silverado.
The following users liked this post:
1966427 (04-13-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 09:42 PM
Racer

Thanks for the input. The course i'm referring to does not include manual. I think it might just be access to their videos. I have been able to learn a great deal from various forums but still not sure i'd be confident tuning a heads/cam ls3.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:05 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 1966427
Thanks for the input. The course i'm referring to does not include manual. I think it might just be access to their videos. I have been able to learn a great deal from various forums but still not sure i'd be confident tuning a heads/cam ls3.
I'm at the same point you are. I want to be able to tune my own car. I have been trying to learn all I can from the internet. Can you share with me, the sights you've been able learn the most from. Most I've looked at were terrible for learning. Others only offer a sampling and want to sell you the info. I don't want to buy a program and them be disappointed. I'm good with buying the program you mentioned but I want to learn all I can first. Thanks
Old 04-20-2017, 09:32 PM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 161 Posts

I bought the new course when it came out in video format. I have to honestly say, I was pretty happy with it. I can't say it was the holy grail of information and it really only gets into the pretty basic stuff. I believe you have to buy the advanced version to get into the "nuts and bolts" part of tuning. I have asked and there is no plans to come out with the video version as of now. They are upgrading the advanced class to mirror HP tuners 3.0 version, but won't be ready until later this year.

The reason I liked it is because I tend to learn better from watching and then trying it myself.
I have spent a ton of money to try to get over the initial learning curve. Seems when i think it is all coming together, then I get information overload and get confused again. I have the Greg Banish DVDs/books. I also took an online course from Ed Mowton (administrator on Hp tuners site). He sends you his tuning book he put together and then sets up a NetMeeting style one- on - one course. Logs into your computer and walks you through tuning while talking to him. I learned a great deal , but a lot of the stuff no matter how hard I tried to get it, was still a bit over my head. Even though I am no longer taking his course, he has always tried to help anytime I had questions.

To be honest, I have learned more from guys on this forum and the Hp tuners forum more than anywhere else. I guess I am at a point that I don't mind trying something myself without asking for help, but I know when to throw in the towel as well.

Overall though, I would recommend the course if you are just getting into tuning with HP tuners and still a bit lost.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:54 AM
Racer

Thanks for the info russ472. This is the kind of feedback I was hoping to get. Do they go into virtual ve tuning much in the beginner course?
Old 04-21-2017, 09:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by rabrooks
I'm at the same point you are. I want to be able to tune my own car. I have been trying to learn all I can from the internet. Can you share with me, the sights you've been able learn the most from. Most I've looked at were terrible for learning. Others only offer a sampling and want to sell you the info. I don't want to buy a program and them be disappointed. I'm good with buying the program you mentioned but I want to learn all I can first. Thanks
I'll send some links later tonight when I get off work.
The following users liked this post:
rabrooks (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 02:29 PM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by 1966427
Thanks for the info russ472. This is the kind of feedback I was hoping to get. Do they go into virtual ve tuning much in the beginner course?
It does get into virtual ve tuning.

the course covers the basics with stock, head/cam combo and forced induction. Basic idle, timing and power enrichment. walks through maf and ve tuning. Has the basic scan configurations available for download and tells you the bare bone basics for setting up your scanner

does not get into meth tuning, alternate fuels, when to retard timing, scanner filters , transient tuning , etc...

Get notified of new replies

To GM HP Tuners Level 1 Beginners/Intermediate

Quick Reply: GM HP Tuners Level 1 Beginners/Intermediate