C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Therm / Radiator Replacement - Fluid Flush help needed on Quantities / Parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 08:23 PM
alcatraz
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Therm / Radiator Replacement - Fluid Flush help needed on Quantities / Parts

Hi Guys,

I read a lot about C6 Vettes in the past months and finally came to a point where i have to ask to you gentlemen for help. Had mine for just a few months and is a Z51 Vette (2005) with an Auto transmission. I want to improve its performance but will be doing everything slowly and carefully. I intend to soup up the bhp but am not sure re adding a blower or not. Knowing me i might go the NA route. Will start by upgrading the cooling system and the brakes. I won't be trusting the fluids either and decided to replace all fluids. I don't want problems.

Anyways here come the questions for you gentlemen and i thank you in advance of course!:

Radiator:

- I bought a radiator which seems far thicker than stock and is an all-aluminium radiator (I think Dewitt). Was told its a straight fit but was wondering if i can still fit in the A/C condenser. This is some 2.5 inches thick! Was told that the original ones tend to go bad with their plastic tanks on the side so was not taking any risks due to the upgrades i intend to do.

- Was told that Vette's like to run a bit cooler than their typical operating temperature (mine currently running at around 209F-224F.). At the same time someone else told me that if i lower the nominal operating temperature of the engine i might damage it. So I ask you guys (just to confirm), Is it BETTER to run the LS2 a little cooler in order to improve reliability and help the engine life rather than its stock temperature mentioned here? If the answer is 'yes' would a 160F thermostat be too low?

Fluid Quantities:

- While i am at it i will obviously change all the fluids and here is where the nitty gritty comes in. So manual says a Z51 C6 needs:

- Engine Oil - 5.5quarts
- Auto transmission - 11.4 quarts
- Coolant - 12.6 quarts

Any guesses with bigger radiator? Repeating from above radiator is 2.5 inches thick.

Transmission:

- I read about the oil change for the transmission i know the procedure but how do you FLUSH completely the transmission? Any suitable thread for this? I don't know what brand of Dexron 6 was put in there so i guess i should change all of it no?

- Now my C6 has got the M32 RPO, so does this mean that i got a 4L65-E? The pan seems to have a round "swirl pot" at the bottom of it probably to collect debris in it. Does this mean its a 4L65-E?

- What parts are recommended to be replaced while i'm at it? Tranny is perfect , no shifting issues. I bought the Pan Gasket , but not the filter yet since i need to know exactly what tranny i got.Please provide me a link to the right parts (preferably AC Delco or GM).

- Should i replace oil drain plug on the transmission just like is the norm with the engine sump drain plug?

Engine Oil Viscosity:

- I went with 0W40 Mobil 1 "New Life", since EU GM seems to recommend 5W40 on European brochures. I'm not worried about the 0 but more the "40" part of the number since the manual recommends 5W30 (the car is from US). Should i be worried on this? AC Delco PF46-E Filter was purchased and GM bolt for this.

Thanking you all and best regards
Al

Last edited by alcatraz; 04-25-2017 at 08:27 PM. Reason: forgot to thank everyone in advance!
Old 04-25-2017, 10:36 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Need to re-post in tech, not scan/tune section.

Temp wise just changing the thermostat isn't going to do much; fans control water temp once you're over whatever temp the thermostat opens at. My opinion is low 200's is a good place to be temp wise. I think 160's is too cold and 220+ is hotter than I'd like to see (though won't hurt anything). Contrary to popular internet belief colder is not always better

I've been running 0-40 euro oil for years. I'm up around 200K miles, 50K+ with a supercharger, still fine.

Last edited by schpenxel; 04-25-2017 at 10:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Therm / Radiator Replacement - Fluid Flush help needed on Quantities / Parts