C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using HPT scanner to detect slipping clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 08:03 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Using HPT scanner to detect slipping clutch

Seeing strange torque readings when car hooks hard, especially 1st and 2nd gear. Looked like torque management but disabled all of that.

There should be a way to confirm clutch slippage and see it on the scanner

Old 04-26-2017, 02:24 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Seems to me it should be as simple as the slope of driven wheel speed => 0 (since that would rise in the event of wheelspin vs undriven wheels) and rpm rises that there must be SOME disconnect between the engine and wheels, now whether that can be 100% confirmed to be the clutch in the scanner vs anything else I can't honestly say...but if it's anything other than the clutch in this situation you must have some greater problem (various input/output shafts,driveshaft, etc...) and you'd definitely know. You should combine the scanner with your nose here I think...you can normally smell a slipping clutch.

Last edited by sevinn; 04-26-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:57 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sevinn
Seems to me it should be as simple as the slope of driven wheel speed => 0 (since that would rise in the event of wheelspin vs undriven wheels) and rpm rises that there must be SOME disconnect between the engine and wheels, now whether that can be 100% confirmed to be the clutch in the scanner vs anything else I can't honestly say...but if it's anything other than the clutch in this situation you must have some greater problem (various input/output shafts,driveshaft, etc...) and you'd definitely know. You should combine the scanner with your nose here I think...you can normally smell a slipping clutch.
I believe some of that is already on the chart. During that 2nd area circled in YELLOW, RPMs went from 3000 to 4500 but front wheel speed (Green Trace) didn't show any rate change. The rear wheels slipped a little more but would have been much higher (Pink Trace) if just traction loss. Just thought the choppy torque was strange and might be a clue.

There's limited places around here for testing so it's hit and run and kinda smelled clutch or brake when I got back home which is why I asked about seeing the effects in the scan. Already accepted the fact a twin disc will be needed at some point but thought the stock setup would hold it since it's practically new
Old 04-26-2017, 03:02 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Yeah I noticed you have all the right data (or what I would log anyway), I was just thinking in general that's how I would think. I've been wrong in the past

The fluctuating torque is a little strange, I would expect it to just spike.

Not really related, but are those wheel speed charts for a deviation between each other? I was a little confused by the 0 so I suspect it's a delta of some sort.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:17 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Possibly the clutch just chattered and didn't break loose all together or got into a situation where it slipped, lowered torque at the wheels causing them to grab again, torque came back up, slip, rinse and repeat... dunno LOL

I plot both left front and right rear wheel speed on top of each other using a math in the scanner..
Front wheel:
(((24 * 3.14) *([8005.56]) * 60)) / 63360

Rear wheel:
(((27 * 3.14) *([8006.56]) * 60)) / 63360

Since it's all relative I tweaked the tire diameter in the math so both lines on the chart overlap each other when cruising, then tweaked the final divisor to get close to the speedo reading. Kinda ghetto math but it works. Any difference between wheel speeds shows up pretty clearly.

Get notified of new replies

To Using HPT scanner to detect slipping clutch

Quick Reply: Using HPT scanner to detect slipping clutch