C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Expectations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 07:43 PM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

Default Expectations?

I have a 2006 base vert. Previous owner put corsa sports on. I've added an airaid CAI and just purchased a diablosport trinity. From what I've read so far, these are pretty basic mods and should give some noticeable results. I'm debating on adding headers as well but not sure the benefits of header is worth the money.

Assuming I'll notice some noticeable difference w the trinity?
Old 08-17-2017, 09:34 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Your greatest increase will come from the headers.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:29 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Dave
Old 08-18-2017, 09:49 AM
0Tampa Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Corvette Camaro Truck tuner in Tampa

I tell guys in general, most exhausts don't really add power. They are more for the sound you like. The air intake will breath better than stock, and will add some HP.

Headers will add more power. A tune will marry everything together for maximum gains.
Phil

www.TampaTuning.com
Old 08-18-2017, 10:52 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

A good tune will really help if you have an automatic. (Couldn't tell from your profile)
Old 08-18-2017, 11:03 AM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Originally Posted by slowstang305
Your greatest increase will come from the headers.
I guess my concern is about extra heat and the cost vs gains. Not really wanting to drop 1200+ on exhaust just yet, but don't want $300 cheapo and regret.

Originally Posted by jim2092
A good tune will really help if you have an automatic. (Couldn't tell from your profile)
Yes, auto w/ paddle.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:44 PM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

You can get a full Z06 exhaust for some nice gains. It won't be too loud, you keep the cats, and heat won't be any more of an issue as it is stock. You will also seem some pretty nice gains from this and a tune.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:00 PM
06MonteSS
Supporting Vendor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Once you get the headers installed, I can hook you up with a custom tune for your car/mods for the Trinity too.. www.diablewtune.com

I'm also a dealer for Kooks and StainlessWorks headers if you're interested in those brands at all...

You can email me directly at: diablo DOT help AT gmail DOT com

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3, short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, catch-can, ported/polished TB, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 08-18-2017, 06:11 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hmmmm16417
I guess my concern is about extra heat
why does everybody say this .... the engine makes the same amount of heat no matter if it's exhaust manifolds and cats under the hood or headers and the cats are in the tunnel ...my experience along with a infrared gun has been there is less under hood heat with the cats in the tunnel as they are not radiating heat in the close confines under the hood ....

the same goes for the temps around my selonoid.....

Dave
Old 08-25-2017, 05:34 PM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dcasole
why does everybody say this .... the engine makes the same amount of heat no matter if it's exhaust manifolds and cats under the hood or headers and the cats are in the tunnel ...my experience along with a infrared gun has been there is less under hood heat with the cats in the tunnel as they are not radiating heat in the close confines under the hood ....

the same goes for the temps around my selonoid.....

Dave
assumed w thinner metal and no heat sheild would create more heat.

I installed a diablosport trinity yesterday and it definitely "woke up" the car. The auto gears seem to shift more firm and feels like it wants to break loose....but traction control prevents.

Still debating on headers
Old 08-25-2017, 07:38 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

I installed a diablosport trinity yesterday and it definitely "woke up" the car. The auto gears seem to shift more firm and feels like it wants to break loose....but traction control prevents.

cast iron manifolds that retain heat and red HOT cats tucked up there in that small space with very little if any airflow to cool them off... between the hot engine and firewall lol .... now that's hot ....
Old 08-26-2017, 10:28 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Headers usually make a little more under hood heat with highway driving. Track driving they make considerably more heat than stock. I wrapped my headers and it made a sizeable temp drop for overall under hood conditions
Old 09-04-2017, 04:14 PM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Default Let's do it....

So I bit the bullet and ordered headers and x-pipe. I couldn't get myself to spend the money on kooks, so I went with OBX (maximizer - from what I'm reading, they are pretty much the same).

I'm thinking I may need some experienced input on the O2 sensors and extension? I've never done headers before, so any tips will be helpful as I plan to do it myself. I want to have everything ready to go before I start.

I have a Diablo sport trinity tuner, airaid CAI and corsair sport axle back. Will I need to get it tuned to prevent codes? Or should I be able to do everything myself?

Last edited by hmmmm16417; 09-04-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:43 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

You can buy the extensions on Amazon , make sure you get the fronts as the rears are different and not needed.......

I did choose to buy the rear extensions also and install the rear O2 sensors just so I would pass a visual inspection

While you are at it buy the O2 sensor socket as it will make taking them off and installing them much easier .

Spray them down with some PB blaster , let them sit and then spin them right out

As far as installing them , I sprayed all my OEM exhaust nuts and bolts with PB blaster and everything came right apart with no trouble at all ,

I cant speak for OBX brand but my LG's fit perfect and I just fed them up through the bottom , there are plenty of header install threads ......

If I had to do it over I would use HEADER STUDS instead of header bolts as lining up the headers and trying to start the bolts can be a challenge , the last thing you want to do is cross thread a header bolt ..

Drive the car for a few miles then contact DIABLOW LEW he will have you log a steady state 2,400 RPM run , you send this to him and he will send you back a tune to load which will also tune out the rear O2 sensors . then he will have you log a WOT run and send it to him .. again he will return you another tune . you can keep doing this as much as you like but after a few you will have a pretty decent tune

Many say you have to use a DYNO and spend a ton of money, I used Diablo Lew and my Diablo Tuner ... maybe I left a few horsepower on the table using Lew but my car is running 12.0X with just headers , tune and CAI using Lew's tune . I am confident I can get it down into the HIGH 11's as my 60 FT times are terrible as I am limited with traction off the lime by my Run flats .....

Be ready for the big grin that will appear on our face after you install them ......

feel free to email me thru these forums if you have any questions
Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 09-04-2017 at 04:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Expectations?

Quick Reply: Expectations?