C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tuning issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 02:46 PM
donb1226
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default tuning issues

416 ls3 stalls and has dead spots. V2si meth and cam. just bought a flashscan to look myself but i see it can definately take some time to figure out the tuning. what do i look for and where do i start. car runs inconsistent

Last edited by donb1226; 08-31-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:57 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Need to post log/tune if you want help. I'd say more use HPTuners around here than EFI Live but someone will be able to look at the log if you post it up

Stalling is usually min airflow being set too low

Do you have a wideband?
Old 08-31-2017, 09:36 PM
donb1226
Intermediate

i am sure i am ahead of myself right now. just got the efilive yesterday. i don't have a wideband i figured i would need one after i figured out the tuning program to begin with. this is the first time I've tried anything with tuning. the car only ran good after one tune done by a guy that uses efilive so thats why i think i chose that. i don't want to keep paying to have the car on a dyno and still not run good its tough to get time to get to the place that made it run good before i exploded the engine and put a stroker crank in it.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:49 AM
0Tampa Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Corvette Camaro Truck Tuner in Tampa

Its always cool to be able to make changes to your vehicles computer, but without a wideband, you cant see how the changes you made are effecting the vehicles performance.

I tell guys, If you invest in your car, and purchase a calibration platform, spend a couple hundred bucks more for a wideband that will plug into your interface and let your scanner do most of the work for you if its set up properly. Trust your equipment, and know when its not working correctly.
Corvette Camaro Truck Tuner in Tampa

Phil
Old 09-01-2017, 08:52 AM
donb1226
Intermediate

which wideband is recommended.
also how do i get the tune file to upload to the forum
Old 09-01-2017, 08:52 AM
IansInGarage
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

As someone that was trained to tune engines and builds cars, but does not tune others cars let me say this. You cannot ever get a really good tune on the road. You spent good money on that engine, how fun will it be to do it again in a couple months or sooner. That's how fast you can wreck a engine with bad tune. With NA it's not quite so scary. With boost you can play with timing and blow a engine in under 100 miles. I'm not sure what you have against paying a tuner? Did he do a bad job? If you had a cookie cutter list of mods like Intake/exhaust you could just copy past off another, similar to how the other tuning tools work. But with EFIlive and HPtuners, your wielding a surgeon scalpel.

Last edited by IansInGarage; 09-01-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:54 AM
donb1226
Intermediate

i have payed a tuner a few times and it still is not right.
i had the same problem before i had to replace the engine but the 1 place that made it drivable is not near me.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:06 AM
IansInGarage
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Well I'd say for the first tuner; it's either your right and he's not a good tuner; or it's your car/setup. Something as little as a exhaust leak or bad routing of vac line during a build can render a car into a turd and no amount of tuning will bandaid this. It truly sucks and I understand what it's like to dump $$$ on a worthless tune. If you only knew what it's like tuning ignition (where all the power is) on a dyno VS road. It's like sniping someone VS attacking with a toothpick. Tuning fuel (where NOT power is but economy/drivability), is actually perfect for road tuning with a good wideband.

Get notified of new replies

To tuning issues

Quick Reply: tuning issues