C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MagnaFlow 'Shorty' Headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 06:04 PM
mmscott12
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MagnaFlow 'Shorty' Headers

Just a heads up for anyone thinking about these, or have already installed them.

I bolted them on my '05 LS2 last year, along with an AiRaid CAI, new NGK plugs & Taylor wires (the previous owner had already put the MF street performer exhaust on before I purchased it).

Everything ran great for the first 6 months or so (I live in Minnesota, so 6 months = about the entire drive time for the year). After pulling her out or storage for this year, I noticed a hesitation & she would fall on her face under hard acceleration (she ran & idled fine when cold, but would develop this hesitation when warmed up). I thought it could have been the TR-55 plugs that I put in (pre-gapped at .059), instead of the recommended TR-5 plugs (pre-gapped at .039) - recommended gap for LS2 (2005 & after) is .040.

Well, come to find out when I was replacing the TR-55 plugs, the headers actually baked the crap out of the Taylor boots. 1 was burned through & 3 others were really crispy. This happened even with boot shields used!

Anyway, just a heads up that it gets REALLY toasty under there with the bends that these things have & watch out for what brand of plug wires you use with them. (I replaced the Taylor's with MSD's & hopefully with have better luck with them).

Old 09-14-2017, 07:27 PM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

Cool, did you notice any power increase with the shorties?
Old 09-14-2017, 07:59 PM
mmscott12
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahrmike
Cool, did you notice any power increase with the shorties?
I did the CAI, shorties, plugs & wires all at once, so that let her breathe better & a bit of a difference. Was kind of taking it a bit easy, since I hadn't done the tune yet. Once everything was settled and the computer adjusted everything to it's liking, there was a noticeable difference. And then, after the tune, another noticeable difference.
The following users liked this post:
Ahrmike (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 04:51 PM
89Roadster
Race Director

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I have the same headers and for anybody who gets a set you may as well go ahead and get the Accel ceramic wires and install at the same time. Stock wires won't make it around the block.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:55 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

I have shorties on my 05 as well, hooker blackhearts, and will attest to the small gain. It's not as much as longtubes but they are also only a third of the price.

Get notified of new replies

To MagnaFlow 'Shorty' Headers

Quick Reply: MagnaFlow 'Shorty' Headers