C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much Knock Retard is normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 08:05 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The sensors can be triggered by things other than actual knock. Bolts loose, exhaust hitting somewhere, etc. that’s what I think of as “”false” knock.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:47 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I did see false KR when my power steering pump was going out, it was very obvious something was wrong though.. it would go crazy showing KR at random times, even just off idle sometimes where I'd never seen anything like that before. New pump and problem gone
Old 11-21-2017, 04:16 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Here's whats more......

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
What Chuck just said. Desensitizing sensors I have heard this allot and I would like to know who is modifying he sensor. Knock is knock, 1/2 degree 5 degrees, what is normal is 0.
Here's whats more......

So you're datalogging with your not so good wideband hooked up "analog" and you're recording too many pids at once.....

You hear audible knock and it sounds like bacon frying in the kitchen on a griddle thats been on the stove too long.....

CR-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-K-L-E!!!!

But your KR screen on your logging software records NO KNOCK....

What now??? Call it "false knock" and tell your customer you "desensitized it" for him...??? What a sport you are.

So, when your fuel is WAY-too- Effing - OFF.... and you have no idea how really lean your are due to the way you log fuel....

so you just call it flase knock and ignore it..... You're in TROUBLE.

That horrible crackling sound you hear is LEAN KNOCK KRAKLE!!!!!! and again.... NO KR on the screen.....

Fact is, knock sensors are calibrated to pick up the waveform of "ignition knock" from too much advance, but combine that with

a far-too-lean condition and you're on the throttle.....

NO, it's not FALSE knock..... It's LEAN KNOCK! and just happens to register in the tuning software very differently.

You have to know the difference. If you hear it but can't see it on the screen.....

You better fix sumpthin' and don't you dare call it "false knock".

Chuck CoW
Old 11-22-2017, 03:30 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Here's whats more......

So you're datalogging with your not so good wideband hooked up "analog" and you're recording too many pids at once.....

You hear audible knock and it sounds like bacon frying in the kitchen on a griddle thats been on the stove too long.....

CR-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-K-L-E!!!!

But your KR screen on your logging software records NO KNOCK....

What now??? Call it "false knock" and tell your customer you "desensitized it" for him...??? What a sport you are.

So, when your fuel is WAY-too- Effing - OFF.... and you have no idea how really lean your are due to the way you log fuel....

so you just call it flase knock and ignore it..... You're in TROUBLE.

That horrible crackling sound you hear is LEAN KNOCK KRAKLE!!!!!! and again.... NO KR on the screen.....

Fact is, knock sensors are calibrated to pick up the waveform of "ignition knock" from too much advance, but combine that with

a far-too-lean condition and you're on the throttle.....

NO, it's not FALSE knock..... It's LEAN KNOCK! and just happens to register in the tuning software very differently.

You have to know the difference. If you hear it but can't see it on the screen.....

You better fix sumpthin' and don't you dare call it "false knock".

Chuck CoW
You all should listen or read this and take the advice. The sensor don't generally pick up a loose bolt, that has a different hz than what the sensor is looking for. Knock is like hitting the side of the block with a sledgehammer. Funny I have never had to "desensitize" a knock sensor in anything. Fuel is the biggest contributor to all of a sudden you tune you doing yourself is now knocking. Like Chuck said, what WB are you using. I am using a ECM on serial output so I know that when it say lambda 1 or .87 that is exactly where I am. I hope you read what he said and just think about that.

Quick Reply: How much Knock Retard is normal?