C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diablo predator uninstall, now a problem....

Old 11-21-2017, 07:17 PM
Neo7241
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Diablo predator uninstall, now a problem....

Hey all,

My first time in this section. I bought an '05 base a few months back from a dealership. It came with a Diablosport Predator reader. I really didn't think much about it, the car ran fine and felt no need to investigate if a tune was placed. I am not familiar with tuning. After some research on YouTube, google, forums, I decided to see what was tuned, and go back to original backup.
I was successful in booting the original backup. However, now I have a "Service Fuel System" on the DIC, and the gas gauge inoperable. I know there was 1/2 tank in it, and took it for a drive. Car runs fine, and all other gauges seemingly working fine as well. HUD shows mph only, and "Check Gauges" message.
Just wondering if anyone has had this problem. Not sure if it is a glitch that happened after writing the OB, or a non-related issue. Do you know if it's something a shop can do (corvette shop with service), or something I have to take to a dealership to get corrected.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:11 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Any codes?
Id suggest a battery reset, disconnect both terminals, drain voltage, reconnect and it should be OK.

May have gotten out of sequence on the key cycles or something.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:24 PM
Neo7241
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
Any codes?
Id suggest a battery reset, disconnect both terminals, drain voltage, reconnect and it should be OK.

May have gotten out of sequence on the key cycles or something.
Hi Mike. Thanks for the reply. I tried to join the Diablosport forum last week to gain some knowledge about this. Never received a confirmation email for my registration. So, I called the tech line. I regret, I don't remember the guys name that I talked to, but after giving him all my info, the numbers on the predator in question, he told me that the model was very old, and he would be unable to update this unit. So, I asked if there was nothing I could do, and he said, nothing.
. I'm currently trying the Techron to clean the fuel and the brass terminals in the fuel tank. Must admit, I haven't heard of the battery disconnect. Is there a possibility of dysfunction to other gauges or electrical system in doing that?
Old 11-27-2017, 06:52 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I'd also consider trying to reload the tune once again, or try to load a canned tune. Perhaps something did not read/write correctly during your initial load.

Also, it looks like I'm fairly local to you as I'm just South of KC. If resetting everything via battery disconnect or reloading a tune doesn't work we could take a look with my Tech 2.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:22 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Try the battery reset and let me know if it comes back.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:42 PM
Neo7241
Advanced

Try the battery reset and let me know if it comes back.
Hey Mike. Nope, no such luck on the battery reset. Went out to the local (15 miles is local, right.?) Vette shop yesterday and they also suggested that I try the battery reset. I just did that a bit ago and it was unsuccessful. I let it discharge for at least 15 minutes but no luck. I have also put some techron in the fuel tank to try to maybe clean the diodes in the gas tank. Obviously we'll have to go through a tank or so first but going through the motions of what most people say on the forearm to do if something like this happens. Do you think the DS predator might be at fault. I was able to return it to "original backup." Not sure what else to do now before taking it to the Chevy dealer.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:35 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Its tough to say.
If the flash finished with no errors it really shouldn;t have lead to any issues here but there are too many unknowns.

I dont know that adding anything to the tank is going to fix it, I'd let the dealer have a quick look.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:56 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,690 Posts

First thing I would try right now is reloading the tune that was originally in it and see what happens. Then proceed further from there.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:14 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Id recommend against flashing it again until the issue is resolved.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:42 PM
Neo7241
Advanced

Id recommend against flashing it again until the issue is resolved.
When I called Diablo support, the rep on the phone told me, "If you got it back to the Original Backup, then there is nothing more you can do....with that particular tuner that you have. That was in response to me telling him the numbers read at top of screen when it was booted up. The unit is one of the first made, and was never updated properly, and not able to be updated now. So I asked what i could do now....and he stated as long as you are back to your original factory spec...."Nothing, on our end."
So that is why I am trying the fuel enhancer. Seemingly, there is no longer an issue with DiabloSport. Now treating it as a generic system fail. Thanks formthe input!
Old 12-01-2017, 01:58 PM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Ok, so you had some sort of tune on the car. It wasnt throwing an error. You revert the tune back to stock and it started throwing the error.

Common sense would tell us to attempt to put it back to the aftermarket tune to see if the error goes away. You dont know what mods have been done and what the tune adjusted. Shouldn't have cause a fuel gauge error, but you never know. I would attempt to put it back to the state where you weren't getting the error.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:58 PM
Neo7241
Advanced

Originally Posted by schizcat
Ok, so you had some sort of tune on the car. It wasnt throwing an error. You revert the tune back to stock and it started throwing the error.

Common sense would tell us to attempt to put it back to the aftermarket tune to see if the error goes away. You dont know what mods have been done and what the tune adjusted. Shouldn't have cause a fuel gauge error, but you never know. I would attempt to put it back to the state where you weren't getting the error.
. I understand what you're saying. I am hesitant to do that as I have learned on this forum that the "Service Fuel System", and fuel gauge dropping to zero is quite common with early C6's, and C5's. I was instructed in another thread to try the techron. I am under the impression that this isn't tune related. I went through the prompts on the predator unit, and got to where it asked if I wanted to run the Original Backup. I chose yes, it wrote the BU, and then I was instructed to disconnect the unit. Not sure why I would get a fuel system error. Mike from DiabloSport also recommended not to run the code again until the cid error is resolved.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:19 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,690 Posts

I still say reload the original tune. It won't hurt anything and will let you know for sure if changing the tune caused the issue or was coincidence. You can always return it to tthe stock tune after that.

Get notified of new replies

To Diablo predator uninstall, now a problem....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diablo predator uninstall, now a problem....