C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car will not communicate with smog equipment

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 06:33 PM
Sbcrew51
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car will not communicate with smog equipment

Hi all. I took my 07 Z06 in to get it smogged in CA. Two locations were unable to get their equipment to communicate with the car. Only thing I did was reinsert the exh fuse. I have been driving it the last year without the fuse so the exhaust was louder. I put it back in just for the smog test. I have never had an issue with smog before. I Google the issue and checked the possible fuse culprits but they were all good. Wiring does not seem to be loose under the steering wheel. Ecm fuse is also good. Anyone out there have a solution???
Old 12-19-2017, 11:25 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Could they not connect with the ECM or was there no power at the ALDL connector?

If there is no power at the ALDL connector then I know you said you checked the fuses but I believe the cigar lighter fuse also powers the ALDL connector - check to make sure that fuse isn't blown.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:32 PM
Sbcrew51
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
Could they not connect with the ECM or was there no power at the ALDL connector?

If there is no power at the ALDL connector then I know you said you checked the fuses but I believe the cigar lighter fuse also powers the ALDL connector - check to make sure that fuse isn't blown.
They connected their machine to the mechanism under the steering column and it would not communicate. The tech said it was sending the signal but the signal was not being returned. I checked the cigar fuse and it is ok. I am hoping I just needed to drive around and have the computer reset itself from having the dual exhaust fuse out. I went to autozone and used one of their devices to see if it threw any codes. It ran through diagnosis and came back as error. They said thats because the engine light is not on and there is nothing wrong. The only other thing I can think of is a loose wire connection but I can get under to see. It looks like I would need to take apart the undercarrige of the steering mechanism to fully see all wires.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:44 PM
hitekcm
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easy to do I have done it probably 15 times . only 2 screws need to be removed from the panel that has your fuel door and rear hatch switch on it, after removing the screws use a flat blade plastic pry tool to pop loose the clips on the left and right sides of the steering column. the previous panel has 2 tabs that go under the panel where your start button is on rt. side and dash light adjusting **** on the left side . This panel has to be popped loose and lifted in order to remove the panel below it. The panel near your pedals are just secured by 3 plastic fasteners.
Best if you remove the seat .

Get notified of new replies

To Car will not communicate with smog equipment

Quick Reply: Car will not communicate with smog equipment