C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aggressive CAM, parking lot driving smoothing out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 06:18 PM
sprayer
Drifting

Received 900 Likes on 484 Posts
Default Aggressive CAM, parking lot driving smoothing out?

I am all new to this world of big power as just got my car, but I have one thing that is on my mind at the moment.

My Z has a big cam in it ,very aggressive idle and I am wondering if I can tune the low RPM low speed behaviour of the car? It has been tuned apparently but maybe not so much for low RPM low speed.

I am trying to find out the CAM specs, but what is happening is if driving down side streets or parking lots at slow speed the car becomes jerky, like foot on gas and off gas constantly the forward and back jerky feeling.

If I am in first gear and raise the RPM (1500+) it settles down and smooths out.But let go of the gas pedal it starts bouncing back and forth. I can soften it out by pushing the clutch in a little and giving some gas, especially when trying to park the car. It will want to stall if left in 1st and no gas to get at least 1500rpm.

I understand this is the draw back with having an aggressive CAM, but wondering if it can be smoothed out a little in the right tuning hands?

This is not my daily driver just a weekend car at best but if possible would love to smooth it out a little.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:19 PM
ZincGT
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

It can be fixed, I would highly recommend finding a well know tuner in your area. Where are you located? I am by no means a professional tuner, but i do have some experience with it. My most recent tune was a grand sport with a BTR stage 4 and could idle around a parking lot in first and second gear, foot off the clutch and gas and it would cruise around at 5-10 mph
Old 01-01-2018, 07:28 PM
sprayer
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZincGT
It can be fixed, I would highly recommend finding a well know tuner in your area. Where are you located? I am by no means a professional tuner, but i do have some experience with it. My most recent tune was a grand sport with a BTR stage 4 and could idle around a parking lot in first and second gear, foot off the clutch and gas and it would cruise around at 5-10 mph
Well that is great to know that it can be addressed. I am in Australia mate and really finding someone that knows these cars is an issue. I have one place in mind they are called Harrop. I was also thinking about buying the HP Tuners and doing data logs myself and learning to do it myself. Used to do it on 3rd gens, but this would be a new learning curve.
Any articles online that would outline what is needed to be done and what tables for this low RPM fix?
Old 01-06-2018, 07:00 PM
C6KWJ
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by sprayer
I am all new to this world of big power as just got my car, but I have one thing that is on my mind at the moment.

My Z has a big cam in it ,very aggressive idle and I am wondering if I can tune the low RPM low speed behaviour of the car? It has been tuned apparently but maybe not so much for low RPM low speed.

I am trying to find out the CAM specs, but what is happening is if driving down side streets or parking lots at slow speed the car becomes jerky, like foot on gas and off gas constantly the forward and back jerky feeling.

If I am in first gear and raise the RPM (1500+) it settles down and smooths out.But let go of the gas pedal it starts bouncing back and forth. I can soften it out by pushing the clutch in a little and giving some gas, especially when trying to park the car. It will want to stall if left in 1st and no gas to get at least 1500rpm.

I understand this is the draw back with having an aggressive CAM, but wondering if it can be smoothed out a little in the right tuning hands?

This is not my daily driver just a weekend car at best but if possible would love to smooth it out a little.
If you have a big cam you generally put different gearing in the rearend. 3.73, 3.90, 4.10s would work nicely.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:29 PM
sprayer
Drifting

Originally Posted by C6KWJ
If you have a big cam you generally put different gearing in the rearend. 3.73, 3.90, 4.10s would work nicely.
Interesting, as I have not thought about that at all.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:43 AM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Send a message or call ‘Tuning by Shane Hinds’ on Facebook. He does a lot of remote tunes for guys in Australia. Everything from headers to cams and blowers.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:50 AM
sprayer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Curt D
Send a message or call ‘Tuning by Shane Hinds’ on Facebook. He does a lot of remote tunes for guys in Australia. Everything from headers to cams and blowers.
Thanks for the heads up Curt. Will get in contact with Shane.

Get notified of new replies

To Aggressive CAM, parking lot driving smoothing out?

Quick Reply: Aggressive CAM, parking lot driving smoothing out?