C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time on a dyno

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 10:12 AM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts
Default First time on a dyno

I had never even been to a dyno much less had my car on one. Went to Izzy Performance in Carson ca yesterday to have Tom work his magic. It was awesome! First of all, I’d imagined a cramped, dirty place with no parking. It was a great facility with ample room.

He had another customer’s super clean c7 z06 on it and it was really neat to watch it all happen before he pulled my c6z on it.

I was there after getting ahp heads and a cam and asked for a safe tune with no care about numbers. I made decent power off the bat and we made some hardware and software changes to make everything just sing.

I really appreciated the shop owner, Izzy, getting me in last-minute as I have the first race on Sunday. It is a top-notch place and knowing my car was in good, highly experienced hands was worth any effort it took to get there. I have a video up on my Instagram page if anyone is curious (can’t put it here): @jfryjfry

Old 06-06-2018, 03:46 PM
GLmajer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 91 Posts

What numbers did you put down?
Old 06-07-2018, 09:48 AM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

It was about 520 hp and 450 lb/ft.
Tom said that there was a little left if we wanted it but because it would be road raced often, he felt it would be better to keep it a touch richer to keep it in the safe side.

Which is nice because that's exactly what I had asked for

frankly I had hoped for a little more but tom said, looking at the airflow nimbers, that the stock air filter housing was probably hurting us by quite a bit.

unfortunately for me, I have to pass ca emissions and anything other than stock would fail the visual.

Last edited by Jfryjfry; 06-07-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:56 PM
GLmajer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfryjfry
It was about 520 hp and 450 lb/ft.
Tom said that there was a little left if we wanted it but because it would be road raced often, he felt it would be better to keep it a touch richer to keep it in the safe side.

Which is nice because that's exactly what I had asked for

frankly I had hoped for a little more but tom said, looking at the airflow nimbers, that the stock air filter housing was probably hurting us by quite a bit.

unfortunately for me, I have to pass ca emissions and anything other than stock would fail the visual.
AHP did my top end with his Stage 4 package, heads, cam, CNC. I have a K&N filter in the OEM holder and stock exhaust when I did a dyno on the "wheels" type dyno. Numbers were like yours but the dyno guy was having trouble with the dyno that day. We ran on his 2nd dyno and the numbers were worse. So I went to Church's who AHP uses and they do the Dyno-Pak where the rear wheels come off and the dyno hooks up directly to the hubs. Three base runs and the numbers came out to 535 rwhp and 490 trq. I'm now running with Corsa Sport exhaust and sounds really awesome.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:56 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I passed CA emission with MF103 installed on more than one occasion. Having said that, there's plenty of air intakes that can easily be swapped in and out every 2 years for smog.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:06 PM
LS1Steve
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfryjfry
I had never even been to a dyno much less had my car on one. Went to Izzy Performance in Carson ca yesterday to have Tom work his magic. It was awesome! First of all, I’d imagined a cramped, dirty place with no parking. It was a great facility with ample room.

He had another customer’s super clean c7 z06 on it and it was really neat to watch it all happen before he pulled my c6z on it.

I was there after getting ahp heads and a cam and asked for a safe tune with no care about numbers. I made decent power off the bat and we made some hardware and software changes to make everything just sing.

I really appreciated the shop owner, Izzy, getting me in last-minute as I have the first race on Sunday. It is a top-notch place and knowing my car was in good, highly experienced hands was worth any effort it took to get there. I have a video up on my Instagram page if anyone is curious (can’t put it here): @jfryjfry

Tom tuned my car as well, and I agree, great dude!

I couldn't help but shake my head though at your combo. You NEED to get a CAI. An AirRaid is only $350 and installs in <20min (and can be returned to stock in less time, for smog checks). My car put down more torque than yours without the cam. I only have the AHP heads, AirRaid, and ported TB/intake. You are leaving a LOT on the table and choking up the engine. Recently I did a smog check and put in my stock airbox, and SOTP felt like I had lost 30-40hp as the motor was definitely struggling to breath. I'm surprised Kohle didn't yell at you!
AirRaid+re-tune ASAP and I'd bet you're up around 530hp/475tq.
I'm heading back for a cam/retune in the next month or so.

Last edited by LS1Steve; 06-13-2018 at 05:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BigVette427 (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 05:45 PM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

I know I know… My biggest concern was smog and I did not want to Have to get it re-tuned every two years.

So am I correct in my understanding that going back to the stock intake was seamless and smog was no issue? If that’s the case then I will probably save my pennies and get a proper intake.

Looking at the numbers, Tom definitely felt that the intake was hurting power a bit. And based on numbers like yours and others’, the biggest difference for me and another 30 horse seems to be the intake.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:02 PM
LS1Steve
Racer

If you're tuned with an aftermarket CAI, you won't have any issues putting the stock airbox back in. No need to be concerned about the car not running right or throwing codes during smog. Computer adjusts the fuel trims accordingly. Only difference is that you'll feel the missing power.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:03 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Wipe it down, service the filter...off to the races. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...id-intake.html
Old 06-13-2018, 06:11 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Steve
Tom tuned my car as well, and I agree, great dude!

I couldn't help but shake my head though at your combo. You NEED to get a CAI. An AirRaid is only $350 and installs in <20min (and can be returned to stock in less time, for smog checks). My car put down more torque than yours without the cam. I only have the AHP heads, AirRaid, and ported TB/intake. You are leaving a LOT on the table and choking up the engine. Recently I did a smog check and put in my stock airbox, and SOTP felt like I had lost 30-40hp as the motor was definitely struggling to breath. I'm surprised Kohle didn't yell at you!
AirRaid+re-tune ASAP and I'd bet you're up around 530hp/475tq.
I'm heading back for a cam/retune in the next month or so.
I've got an AirAid going on this weekend, and re-tuning next week. Added Corsa x-pipe 14331 on Memorial Day; very interested to see what this does to the equation give I've already done the ported heads and 116 cam.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:28 PM
LS1Steve
Racer

Originally Posted by BigVette427
I've got an AirAid going on this weekend, and re-tuning next week. Added Corsa x-pipe 14331 on Memorial Day; very interested to see what this does to the equation give I've already done the ported heads and 116 cam.
I'm curious too! And @jfryjfry is DEFINITELY curious!

I'm doing the AHP 116 cam soon - very similar to yours with different lift specs. I'm currently deep in debate about adding a ported MSD intake. I'm getting a bit scared with all the apparent maintenance to that intake as far as bolts coming loose

Last edited by LS1Steve; 06-13-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:01 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm doing the AHP 116 cam soon - very similar to yours with different lift specs. I'm currently deep in debate about adding a ported MSD intake. I'm getting a bit scared with all the apparent maintenance to that intake as far as bolts coming loose
It was easier to justify ruling it out before, but now with a CARB EO#...it makes it tougher to dismiss it.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:26 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

We really like the MSD intake manifold (especially since it now has a CARB #)!!!
We stock and sell our Ported MSD intake manifolds in case anyone is in need on of one.

Regarding the bolts coming loose on the MSD intakes... We have never had any issues with that, make sure to use blue lock tight and toque the bolts to the MSD specified specs in order they list and you should not have issues. If you order our Ported version of the MSD it comes already fully assembled and torqued to spec.

https://www.americanheritageperformance.com/

Feel free to email us HP@americanheritageperformance.com or give us a call @ 310-326-2399 if anyone has any MSD intake related questions.
The following users liked this post:
MTPZ06 (06-13-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 09:05 AM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

you, sir, are correct. Did the retune happen yet???
Old 08-02-2018, 08:29 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,278 Likes on 923 Posts

Stock cai flows plenty...biggest change is in keeping the IAT down so the comp doesnt pull timing as well as smoothing the maf signal at low speed (Halltech maf forward design). This helps those running maf only tunes keep fueling smooth since maf hates turbulance.

Nice job on the build!

Last edited by Apocolipse; 08-02-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:11 AM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Stock cai flows plenty...biggest change is in keeping the IAT down so the comp doesnt pull timing as well as smoothing the maf signal at low speed (Halltech maf forward design). This helps those running maf only tunes keep fueling smooth since maf hates turbulance.

Nice job on the build!
MAF only tunes are just lazy. I saw a significant increase with heads/cam already installed when I subsequently swapped the stock air intake for an Airaid, swapped a Corsa x-pipe that eliminated the stock 2012/13 x-pipe with a pair of secondary cats on it, and did a full hybrid re-tune.

Last edited by BigVette427; 08-02-2018 at 09:11 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To First time on a dyno

Quick Reply: First time on a dyno