C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which hp tuners top buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 09:39 AM
ruinms
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default which hp tuners to buy?

I just got on hptuners site and i have no idea what to buy. It looks like its all new stuff that is not available yet? I'm trying to tune my 09 auto vette. Any direction would be appreciated. I will be adding an plx wide band also.

Last edited by ruinms; 07-11-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:55 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I'd personally probably get one of the old "pro" interfaces that support external inputs if you can find one (may not be directly from them).

The new units don't support external sensors yet from what I understand.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:36 AM
ruinms
Advanced

Thanks for the info. How are people tuning with the new units? No wideband would make it impossible?
Old 07-18-2018, 07:33 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

AEM has a wideband that plugs into the obd port and feeds data in over the can bus that “should” work but I haven’t personally tried it yet.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:07 PM
ruinms
Advanced

I wonder if that is hp tuners thinking? I need Something like yesterday and fell dumb buying old technology when there’s something new out. New isn’t always best, but still!!
Old 07-19-2018, 01:26 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I imagine they had a timeline for releasing the new units and went with it even though they weren't done with the external inputs interface.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:36 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Tuning on a dyno you typically use the dyno wideband, so not a huge deal.

I wouldn't buy the old one, as the support is going away, and it doesn't support the new applications.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:06 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by ruinms
I just got on hptuners site and i have no idea what to buy. It looks like its all new stuff that is not available yet? I'm trying to tune my 09 auto vette. Any direction would be appreciated. I will be adding an plx wide band also.
I have a problem on my '98 that my tuner is not able to diagnose without having data logs from drag runs. He suggested I get one of the "old" HP Pro units that provides one-button data logging. I like this feature since I am an old fart that is not very computer literate so I would never think of having a laptop in the car. I have scoured the internet and cannot find one of the old Pro units for sale that supports GM vehicles. I understand the "new" HP unit does not provide the stand-alone data logging yet and there is a "Pro" unit that will but is not released yet. If I am correct in all this- does anyone know when the "new" unit with the simple data logging like the "old" Pro unit will be released?

BIGMAC
The following users liked this post:
ruinms (07-23-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 01:32 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

There is only one old pro unit, so not sure why you are saying doesn't support GM vehicles, as they are all the same.

Still need a laptop or computer to setup the logging, it isn't just a plug in and hit record.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:46 PM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Unreal
There is only one old pro unit, so not sure why you are saying doesn't support GM vehicles, as they are all the same.

Still need a laptop or computer to setup the logging, it isn't just a plug in and hit record.
Understood on the laptop set up. My tuner would do that for me. With respect to the GM specific I was confused by the ones I saw for sale on the internet. I saw ones advertised "For Ford Vehicles" and "For Dodge Vehicles" but all the ones "For GM Vehicles" with "GM Credits" were no longer available. Obviously I don't understand. Please set me straight.

BIGMAC
Old 07-21-2018, 01:51 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

They are all the same, just some come with different credits for tuning. For logging, it is all the same thing. Just means if you want to use it to tune, would have to buy some GM credits.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:39 AM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
AEM has a wideband that plugs into the obd port and feeds data in over the can bus that “should” work but I haven’t personally tried it yet.
This does work as I have the new unit and bought the AEM wideband it is functioning properly.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:53 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

If you are going to calibrated under the 2015 line, You can buy an old PRO unit. Most come with a couple credits on it. The new 4.0x HPT software is based off the BETA 3.7 configurations. You can plug many widebands into the MPVI 1 unit directly. If you were going to tune 2015 and newer vehicles, and thinking of calibrating a wider range of vehicles ( Dodge, Ford, Audi, and Nissan, the MPVI 2 ( new units ) may have better options for you. Tuning looks easy, but it difficult. Just because you can calibrate the GM line, doesn't mean that knowledge transitions to other brand vehicles. Its an extreme leaner curve between manufacturers. Down side currently with the MPVI 2 is you cant calibrate WOT AFR the "normal way" right now.
If your calibrator doesn't use a wideband, change tuners.

Last edited by phils C5 vette; 07-22-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:16 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by truth.b
This does work as I have the new unit and bought the AEM wideband it is functioning properly.
Good to know. That's all I've used recently on the older interface, just hadn't ever tried it on one of the new ones
Old 07-22-2018, 11:31 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Originally Posted by phils C5 vette
If you are going to calibrated under the 2015 line, You can buy an old PRO unit. Most come with a couple credits on it. The new 4.0x HPT software is based off the BETA 3.7 configurations. You can plug many widebands into the MPVI 1 unit directly. If you were going to tune 2015 and newer vehicles, and thinking of calibrating a wider range of vehicles ( Dodge, Ford, Audi, and Nissan, the MPVI 2 ( new units ) may have better options for you. Tuning looks easy, but it difficult. Just because you can calibrate the GM line, doesn't mean that knowledge transitions to other brand vehicles. Its an extreme leaner curve between manufacturers. Down side currently with the MPVI 2 is you cant calibrate WOT AFR the "normal way" right now.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by the new MPVI2 units "can't" calibrate WOT AFR the "normal way"? And exactly what is the normal way? So far I've only focused on logging and understand the data but if there is something I need to look out for when I migrate to making tuning changes I would like to know that now.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:32 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Can’t connect a wideband the traditional 0-5V input way.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:36 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Can’t connect a wideband the traditional 0-5V input way.
Duhh.... That makes sense, disregard previous question.

Get notified of new replies

To which hp tuners top buy?

Old 07-23-2018, 08:38 AM
ruinms
Advanced

Originally Posted by phils C5 vette
I plan to do the tuning myself. That is the reason I'm asking these questions.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:07 PM
HPTuners
Supporting Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ruinms
Hello, in most situations I would say if you can wait for the pro feature set to become available on the new MPVI 2, that is your best bet. You are even able to buy the MPVI 2 now and use with without wideband, and then just upgrade your interface once it becomes available. The Pro feature set is an add on to the interface and will not be a separate device.

If you are in a hurry and want to purchase an old MPVI pro you can do so but you might want to find one without credits. If you purchase one that is Ford specific the device will work fine but you will not be able to license a GM vehicle with Ford credits.

If you have any other questions please feel free to reach out to me on here or you can email us at support@hptuners.com
ruinms (07-23-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 09:15 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Originally Posted by HPTuners
Hello, in most situations I would say if you can wait for the pro feature set to become available on the new MPVI 2, that is your best bet. You are even able to buy the MPVI 2 now and use with without wideband, and then just upgrade your interface once it becomes available. The Pro feature set is an add on to the interface and will not be a separate device.

If you are in a hurry and want to purchase an old MPVI pro you can do so but you might want to find one without credits. If you purchase one that is Ford specific the device will work fine but you will not be able to license a GM vehicle with Ford credits.

If you have any other questions please feel free to reach out to me on here or you can email us at support@hptuners.com
Thanks for your post. I have sent you an email.
HPTuners (07-24-2018)

Quick Reply: which hp tuners top buy?