C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

school me on tuning please

Old 06-03-2023, 02:16 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Default school me on tuning please

Once reassembled, my combo will be:

2006 automatic
LS2 bottom end, LS3 heads and LSXR 102 intake
Cam Motion "drop in" cam: Grind #XA218/350-XA224/350-16+3, Duration at .050 - 218/224, Lift with 1.7 - .595"/.595", Lobe separation 116,Intake center line 113
LS7 manifolds and cats, 3" x-pipe back to a Borla Type-S system - the old one with the bullet style mufflers
Yes, I know the 102mm TB is bigger than it needs or can use, but I wanted a brand new TB, so that's what I'll use.

Tricky part - upgrading to a Z06 intake setup with the card-style MAF

I have a Z06 diff and 3200 stall Yank which will go in after the car is back on the road - farming that job out to Abel Chevrolet (along with a complete TT rebuild) since I can't do it here at home.

I already have a diablosport handheld tuner, using the canned tune which helped and the trans tune maxed out which helped a LOT
I've asked a couple of people already about doing a tune and I'm told that it HAS to be done with HP Tuners and that the Diablosport can't handle the card style MAF.

So, what I don't get is why you can't just copy say an LS7 MAF table and paste it over the regular MAF table as a starting point, regardless of what tuner it is. In my mind, the tuners have to load data that the computer can use, so if a diablosport can tune a Z06, why can't that copy and paste work to tune my car?

Not being a cheapskate, but I like having the trans tune capability and the ease of the hand-held compared to having to drop the car off for a couple of days for a dyno tune for $1000 by the time it's all said and done.

Yes, I know I could have made more power with a bigger/lumpier cam, but I don't want lumpy, just a nice burble is fine and don't really care if it makes 475, 500, or 525. I want it to sound pretty close to a stock LS7 type idle quality and go a little better than it already does.
Old 06-07-2023, 02:32 PM
TurboLX
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

1) If you can put your stock 90mm throttle on an adapter to your new intake, it will save you a lot of headaches.
2) Updating to the card style MAF is pretty straight forward. I would copy the LS7 transfer function as a starting point, but unless you are using a stock LS7 air filter and inlet, you'll have to expect to fine-tune that. You will also need to update the IAT transfer function since that's built into the MAF. (Not sure if Diablo has this mapped for editing, but HPT/EFIlive should). The IATs are significantly different.
3) 3200rpm stall is pretty loose for such a mild cam. Your cam would probably be fine with either the stock convertor or a 2400 if the rest of the engine calibration is correct.
4) Custom software like HPT gives the tuner access to WAY more adjustment than a handheld. Most tuning shops don't use the Diablo Revolution custom tuning software, so they'll probably want you to switch to what they use (HPT or EFILive).
5) Make sure your tuner is doing a blended MAF and VE model for airflow. This does wonders for helping the transmission work correctly. Doing so will require proper custom tuning that will take several hours on the dyno. $1,000+ is more than fair considering what is required to do this compared to what the shop will charge to open up your torque tube.
Old 06-08-2023, 05:28 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboLX
1) If you can put your stock 90mm throttle on an adapter to your new intake, it will save you a lot of headaches.
2) Updating to the card style MAF is pretty straight forward. I would copy the LS7 transfer function as a starting point, but unless you are using a stock LS7 air filter and inlet, you'll have to expect to fine-tune that. You will also need to update the IAT transfer function since that's built into the MAF. (Not sure if Diablo has this mapped for editing, but HPT/EFIlive should). The IATs are significantly different.
3) 3200rpm stall is pretty loose for such a mild cam. Your cam would probably be fine with either the stock convertor or a 2400 if the rest of the engine calibration is correct.
4) Custom software like HPT gives the tuner access to WAY more adjustment than a handheld. Most tuning shops don't use the Diablo Revolution custom tuning software, so they'll probably want you to switch to what they use (HPT or EFILive).
5) Make sure your tuner is doing a blended MAF and VE model for airflow. This does wonders for helping the transmission work correctly. Doing so will require proper custom tuning that will take several hours on the dyno. $1,000+ is more than fair considering what is required to do this compared to what the shop will charge to open up your torque tube.
Thanks for the reply and explanations Greg. I don't need an adapter for the 90mm, it will bolt right up. I think I may have damaged the 90mm TB when cleaning it, that's why I wanted to run a new one.
I'm doing the converter because I'll be in there getting the TT rebuild done, so this is the time to do the swap. This is now my "second" car rather than primary driver, so when I punch it, I want it to be all-in and right now.
The MAF explanation explains why the DS guys are saying they can't do it, so I'll have to use the regular MAF setup to get it to the dyno tuner.

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2023, 11:44 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

IAT transfer function should be mapped in CMR, that said, still up to the user

The following users liked this post:
mcm95403 (06-13-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To school me on tuning please

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: school me on tuning please