C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no codes after mods?? normal?

Old 01-11-2019, 07:35 PM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

Default no codes after mods?? normal?

I'm bored and started thinking and figured where else is a better place than the forum experts for my answer!

after a year and a half of owning my 06, i have done a few performance upgrades. first thing I did was Airaid intake and a diablo sport trinity and loaded diablo performance tune. Assumed because of the trinity , i didn't get any codes. cool.

I debated for a year on installing headers or not for two reasons.
1) I enjoy the car cruising quiet until I stomp on it and hear the corsa sports
2) a couple of shops told me that the car would run like garbage and throw a bunch of codes after headers until i got a tune.... and i didn't know when I would be able to get it to a place that is reputable for tuning locally.

fast forward to this winter.... put my car in the garage and up on jack stands. installed the headers and x pipe. I went with the OBX and just as everyone on the forum that had experience with them, I had to get better manifold gaskets and clamps. Anyways, since i've put them on I have not gotten one code for any reason other than my own stupid forgetfulness which were fixed and immediately reset (forgot a plug wire = "multiple misfire" code...... and ... bumped thermostat plug = "hot engine air conditioner off")

will probably do the diablew tune this spring so it's not a big deal, but I was just curious of other people's experience since some local shop(s) stated there would be issues.

i've let it run to temp 3 times (about 30-40 minutes) and several revs, but can't actually drive it yet because of snow. So my question is..... is that normal? Will it start throwing codes once i actually drive it?
Old 01-11-2019, 10:55 PM
VetteofSD
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

It's normal. It won't start throwing codes or running poorly until you hit a certain point with mods and not tuning. Just an intake and headers won't give you any trouble. For instance, if you added a FAST intake as well, you'll likely have problems without tuning because now the ECM can't adjust enough within GM's given tolerances and it thinks something is wrong. Obviously you'll get more performance out of your mods with a good tune, but it's not going to hurt anything in the mean time

Last edited by VetteofSD; 01-11-2019 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:59 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Two possibilities. Your present after market tune already dealt with possible future header codes or the headers you installed are not long tubes.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:25 AM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Originally Posted by jim2092
Two possibilities. Your present after market tune already dealt with possible future header codes or the headers you installed are not long tubes.
they are definitely are long tube. I'm guessing the diablo trinity with performance "tune" is doing OK so far. however, i'm probably doing the tune from diablew in spring anyway. maybe having O2 sensors in it are helping as well (used extended wires and relocated.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:24 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

I never got trouble codes or CEL with the addition of catted OBX lt's and ported Fast 102.Checked AFR and everything on dyno after install and all good.Drove it like that for about 9 months before retune.Tuner may have adjusted previous tune from before these mods were ever done,thinking car already had headers on it.

Last edited by irok; 01-12-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:57 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,312 Likes on 884 Posts

The only codes I have ever encountered after headers install was after a few start and stop cycles with driving in between. And the codes were for the rear Oxygen sensors. Those codes won't make your car run bad.

What can make the car run not-optimal, is because of the increased airflow with the headers (and also if you put on an intake), the air flow model in your tune is not optimized. This usually won't make the car run bad, but you won't maximize the power/torque potential of the mods.

If you have the OBX headers, then I doubt you have cats anymore. You will throw a code but I am betting you will need to drive the car a little bit before that happens. Idling probably won't to it.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:13 PM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117
The only codes I have ever encountered after headers install was after a few start and stop cycles with driving in between. And the codes were for the rear Oxygen sensors. Those codes won't make your car run bad.

What can make the car run not-optimal, is because of the increased airflow with the headers (and also if you put on an intake), the air flow model in your tune is not optimized. This usually won't make the car run bad, but you won't maximize the power/torque potential of the mods.

If you have the OBX headers, then I doubt you have cats anymore. You will throw a code but I am betting you will need to drive the car a little bit before that happens. Idling probably won't to it.
Supposedly, these are the "cats" (came with set).
Old 01-13-2019, 05:25 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,312 Likes on 884 Posts

I don't think I have ever seen OBX headers that had cats but they could be. Usually, they are a type of resonator.

It really don't matter. I have American Racing headers with high flow cats and I still set a CEL.

Diablew tune took care of it.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:30 PM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117
I don't think I have ever seen OBX headers that had cats but they could be. Usually, they are a type of resonator.

It really don't matter. I have American Racing headers with high flow cats and I still set a CEL.

Diablew tune took care of it.
going to be working with him this spring once weather breaks and I can drive it
Old 01-13-2019, 05:33 PM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Maybe they ARR resonators......
Old 01-14-2019, 04:09 PM
irok
Safety Car

My OBX came with hi-flow cats and have been on car for 8 years with no issues.You can buy them either way
Old 01-14-2019, 04:15 PM
irok
Safety Car

Look inside your cat or resonator.not to difficult to tell whether a cat or resonator.There is a difference in price for catted versus non catted OBX lt's and they also have a different p/n

Get notified of new replies

To no codes after mods?? normal?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: no codes after mods?? normal?