C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diablo street tune VS Cow tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 10:42 AM
C6Tally
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Diablo street tune VS Cow tune

This question is not meant to start any mud slinging...

I am asking for experienced opinions and advice regarding a street tune with data logging using a Diablo hand held through a guy on this forum VS a similar tune with Chuck Cow using his method.

I just finished the header Xpipe install on my 2010 base A6. It also has a K&N drop in filter and Corsa Xtremes.

I already have the Diablo Intune i3.

I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra money to sell the Diablo and go with a tune from Cow.

Thanks in advance.

Popular Reply

03-23-2019, 01:48 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14
Default Think of me like the President TRUMP of tuning.....

Originally Posted by pivette33
Now i really dont know what to do, plained on going with chuck on my 06 automatic vette but these posts have me up in the air. I have read alot of good stuff about chuck i guess i'll just try him and hope for the best.

Think of me like the President TRUMP of tuning.....

The only people bad mouthing me..... are upset that I'm doing a better job.

MAKE TUNING GREAT AGAIN!
Chuck CoW
Old 02-24-2019, 09:14 PM
06MonteSS
Supporting Vendor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

You have the inTune i3 8245 Platinum version tool, right? That's the one you'd need in order to be able to do custom tuning. The regular inTune i3 8200 can not do custom tuning.

So as long as you have the inTune i3 8245 Platinum version tool, yes I can do a custom tune for you.

So a 2010 Vette, A6, headers, no cats/high-flow cats... no other mods...

Yes, I can definitely get you hooked up... I have tuned thousands of these cars and do them daily....

Please send me an email at -- diablo DOT help AT gmail DOT com -- with the year, model, engine of your GM vehicle, any mods done to it, what octane gas you use, which diablo tool you have, etc.. and I can send you a loooong email with info about the custom tuning, the process, etc.

Thanks!
-Lew

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3, short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, catch-can, ported/polished TB, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 02-25-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:46 PM
sfrank2886
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Since you have already spent the money, I would do the Diablo tune. It takes some back and forth with the data logging I believe but Cow requires you to send him your ECM. Me personally, I was not willing to do that and wait. If you are local to Cow then might be a toss up if you can sell your unit for what you paid.
The following users liked this post:
C6Tally (02-26-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 06:12 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,314 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
You have the inTune i3 8245 Platinum version tool, right? That's the one you'd need in order to be able to do custom tuning. The regular inTune i3 8200 can not do custom tuning.

So as long as you have the inTune i3 8245 Platinum version tool, yes I can do a custom tune for you.

Yes, I can definitely get you hooked up... I have tuned thousands of these cars and do them daily....

Please send me an email at -- diablo DOT help AT gmail DOT com -- with the year, model, engine of your GM vehicle, any mods done to it, what octane gas you use, which diablo tool you have, etc.. and I can send you a loooong email with info about the custom tuning, the process, etc.

Thanks!
-Lew
I am on my fourth tune from Diablew. Cannot recommend enough.
C6Tally (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 05:38 AM
C6Tally
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks!
-Lew
I do have the 8245 Platinum and I have emailed you already. I will be emailing you again this week about data logging. I just wanted to check into experienced opinions before moving forward.

Thanks

Trey
Old 02-26-2019, 03:23 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default As we discussed on the phone....

Originally Posted by C6Tally
This question is not meant to start any mud slinging...

I am asking for experienced opinions and advice regarding a street tune with data logging using a Diablo hand held through a guy on this forum VS a similar tune with Chuck Cow using his method.

I just finished the header Xpipe install on my 2010 base A6. It also has a K&N drop in filter and Corsa Xtremes.

I already have the Diablo Intune i3.

I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra money to sell the Diablo and go with a tune from Cow.

Thanks in advance.

As we discussed on the phone, I can offer you features that nobody else offers.

Nobody benefits when these threads go south because each vendor is going to defend and promote their own product.

For the C6 Corvette, you won't find a better package and our tool is far more powerful than

than any other handheld tool.

Call any time if you need more clarification.

Chuck CoW
Old 02-26-2019, 03:28 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default That's not correct.

Originally Posted by sfrank2886
Since you have already spent the money, I would do the Diablo tune. It takes some back and forth with the data logging I believe but Cow requires you to send him your ECM. Me personally, I was not willing to do that and wait. If you are local to Cow then might be a toss up if you can sell your unit for what you paid.

That's not correct. I have hundreds of ECMs here so that you almost never need to send yours.

I build an identical ECM on site and send it out so that for a short time you actually have TWO ECMs

and this way you're never without a car that runs and drives.

ECM swaps are only required for customers that get the CoW BOOSTER!

While we always advise customers to sell their existing tuner tools when they upgrade, we also recommend

you hold on to your original tool and tune until you receive your autocal. This way, if you have any reservations

we will save your original tunes so that they can be re-loaded at a later date even if the tool is sold off.

Once you have the ability to load theirs and then load ours for comparison, it will re-assure you that you made the

right decision to switch.

There is NOTHING like the CoW BOOSTER! in conjunction with our full tune package.

GUARANTEED!
Chuck CoW

Last edited by Chuck CoW; 02-27-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:43 PM
06MonteSS
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by C6Tally
I do have the 8245 Platinum and I have emailed you already. I will be emailing you again this week about data logging. I just wanted to check into experienced opinions before moving forward.

Thanks

Trey
Sounds good man... Thank you!

I actually had another guy this week email me too, to correct and fix his "cow" tune for his car that isn't running right since that tune was done, heh...

Have a good weekend man! We'll be in touch!
Old 03-03-2019, 07:24 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Yeah.... Know when to keep it in your pants.....

Sounds good man... Thank you!

I actually had another guy this week email me too, to correct and fix his "cow" tune for his car that isn't running right since that tune was done, heh...

Have a good weekend man! We'll be in touch!
Yeah.... Know when to keep it in your pants with your unsolicited comments.

For most of the last 18 years I've removed hundreds of "diablo" tunes from customers cars who were woefully disappointed with Diablo products

and tuning.

Let's do our best to keep it friendly here.
Chuck CoW
Old 03-04-2019, 11:21 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

But you had to one up him with '100s of customers' vs the one he mentioned? Then close with lets keep it friendly? I feel like I'm in a high school parking lot with the guy that has to get the last word...

This forum is full of happy Diablo customers.
If they are not pleased with their tunes, they don't seem to be posting here...
SPSandman (04-17-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 01:37 PM
aerovette99
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I am one happy CHUCK COW Customer. Chuck is the best of tuners. I have had SEVERAL from here, and I have been in the Corvette Business for 15 years. Chuck has made my Corvette SCREAM. His prices are excellent and his customer service is the best in the industry. This guy has gone WAY over and above the norm to help me out over the the years. I have sent him dozens of clients over the years, and not 1 has said anything except that Chuck is a tuning GOD. His AutoCal is definitely convenient.
Don't know what the pissing content is here, but I stand behind CHUCK COW TUNES FOREVER.
And to Chuck...... Thank you for making my Corvette so nasty. Acceleration issues?? Not a chance.
The following 3 users liked this post by aerovette99:
Chuck CoW (03-06-2019), Gilcane (05-27-2019), pivette33 (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 02:39 PM
sfrank2886
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
ECM swaps are only required for customers that get the CoW BOOSTER
You might want to publish that information on your website. That is the reason I did not take advantage of your previous offer of a FREE booster. Sounds like that is something new and maybe an improvement of your process. A used the Diablo 93 tune and it was an improvement over my base tune until I added headers. I attempted to use them for a full tune but did not like the back and forth of data logging, so chose to have a full tune locally which I am very happy with now.
Chuck CoW (03-06-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 03:10 PM
Danny Richie
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Chuck has done three Vettes now for me and my Dad. I couldn't be happier. Want to buy a used Dioblo tuner?

Chuck CoW (03-06-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 03:58 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

I was fortunate enough to stumble upon Chuck/CoW very early in 2007 when he was visiting Tampa to do C6 transmission and engine tunes at a local speed shop. I drove down from Panama City (an 800 mile round trip). His A6 tune transformed my Red into a far more driveble and ridiculously fun machine.

That was the beginning of a years long association. The following winter I drove up to another speed shop in Chicago where he tweaked my A6 tune, for free. In 2011 I drove Red to Chuck's shop in Ossining, NY to have him install an Edelbrock E-Force supercharger. That included a custom engine tune. I also bought an AutoCal "gadget" which allows us to update the engine and transmission tunes via files attached to e-mails, again for free. This past August I went back to Ossining with 140,000 miles on the clock for major renewals to my torque tube, torque converter, transmission, and rear end. Next month I'm returning to Ossining to have him perform a 100,000 mile maintenance on the supercharger installed in 2011.

Comparing Chuck's expert work on my Red over the years, I would have to say the Diablo and similar devices are what I'd call "panty-hose solutions". Once size fits all -- badly.
Chuck CoW (03-06-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 06:06 PM
Eyedoc01
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Cow Tune

I have been very happy with Chuck & his Cow tune. He is very professional and courteous in making the C7 perform at it’s absolute best, You do not have to send the PCM to him, He sends the modified unit to you. His pricing & expertise & customer service is much better than most other vendors on the forum. Chuck is not happy with his tune until you are!! I would not even consider anyone other than Chuck’s Cow tune after extensive research into custom tunes.
Chuck CoW (03-06-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 08:42 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Received 216 Likes on 122 Posts

I certainly don't like seeing two vendors pitted against each other as I'm sure they both have their advocates. I've never seen a side-by-side review of different tuners so ultimately everyone needs to do their own research and pick one. I'm not even sure that such a review makes sense as there is so much more to this than raw numbers. In my case the primary goal was to improve the throttle response as I found the factory tuning to be quite conservative. It's just not right when you have a tuned Volvo V70R with better throttle response than your Corvette. After almost 20 years of driving tuned Volvos I was very familiar with the various trade-offs between peak numbers vs area under the curve, safe operating parameters across varied conditions vs tuning to the edge and taking risks, and enjoyable drivability vs irritating peaks and anomalies. I spoke to Chuck for a good long time and it was clear he knew what he was doing and his approach to tuning matched what I was looking for. He also provided the special focus on throttle response that I sought. I also looked at Chuck's LinkedIn profile - with his background in Computer Science there's a good chance he knows this stuff. So I went with the COW booster as well as the full blown tune. The results gave me throttle response that was just the way I liked it, the annoying skip shift was gone, and I got better power delivery with the full tune. Couldn't be happier. I then decided to install the Vararam intake. I got interested in this after seeing the ridiculously high intake temperatures on the C6 that were as high as my turbo car before installing the FMIC. I didn't realize that the tune would need to be redone with the intake, but Chuck is redoing the custom tune for no additional charge. I think we're pretty close to being done at this point. So far the intake+tune takes things to a new level and the car responds to it very nicely. Yes, the tuning process requires some back and forth and takes time, but the results are a very nice custom tune. For the amount of work and level of attention Chuck has to give to this, I found his prices to be more than fair. The IPD Motronic 7 "Stage I" canned tune on my V70R cost more and the tools you get with it aren't nearly as good as AutoCal. I have never tried the Diablo products so can't provide any useful comments there, but Mike seems to be a good guy as well, and a positive advocate of the CorvetteForum.

Last edited by CrystalRedTed; 03-05-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Chuck CoW (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 04:09 PM
MIKEY.G
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tunning

I have a 2008 c7 automatic ...I had headers intake k&n but mostly stock on the motor were I purchased the diablo sport runner ...were it didn’t do much change to the trans it would still shift slow and lazy normal driving and the worst was even with the tune it would surge a little on the rpms at idile....so I decide to sell the diablo runner and give chuck cow a try ....I am telling you the car feels just like a whole diffrent car when shifting driving and no more surging it’s not another tune meaning like the diablo tune a canned tune if it works on one car it works on all to me that’s not true all cars react diffrent I would give chuck cow a try truly recommend it he puts a lot of time and effort what he does awsome runner you won’t be disappointed

Get notified of new replies

To Diablo street tune VS Cow tune

Old 03-06-2019, 04:25 PM
06MonteSS
Supporting Vendor

There's no bashing here, it wasn't intended...

the thing here is, you can't compare a handheld preset canned tune, to a custom tune...

HOWEVER, custom tuning can be done with diablo's tools! And a custom tune that's done, using the diablo tool as a loading device, is on par with a custom tune done from others... many people don't realize that custom tuning can be done using a diablo tool... The diablosport custom tuning software is like hptuners, efilive software that others use for creating custom tune files for things such as the efilive Autocal tool.. the autocal tool is a tune loader, that loads custom tune files...

If you get custom tuning done and you have a diablosport handheld tool, the diablo tool becomes a tune loader at that poing, to load a custom tune file that was created with their custom tuning software...

And a custom tune done for it will always be better than just the preset canned tunes that come on the tool... I think a lot of people miss or misunderstand that point, or don't realize that custom tuning can be done for a diablo tool...

Custom tuning can be done for diablo tools, just like it can be done using an efilive Autocal tool, with the tuning software.... you are not limited to just the preset canned tunes that come on the diablo tool itself...

That's why I have people do real-world driving data logs for me when I do their custom tunes.. so I can see exactly what the car is doing, etc while driving it in real-world driving conditions.. . you don't drive your car on a dyno, heh.. that's the benefit of doing real-world driving data logs, so the tune can be adjusted/tweaked appropriately....

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 03-06-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:09 PM
MIKEY.G
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tunning

Excuse my spelling on my last post it’s a 2008 c6 just fyi I also had a dyno tune done and the car didn’t feel right on the street ..I prefer a street tune that’s were I drive the vette ...chuck cow tune was amazing you can not go wrong with it....had a diablo tune had a dyno tune and the best tune for the street for me was chuck cow tune hopefully you will make a good decision good luck
Old 03-06-2019, 05:21 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Just the same.....

There's no bashing here, it wasn't intended...

the thing here is, you can't compare a handheld preset canned tune, to a custom tune...

HOWEVER, custom tuning can be done with diablo's tools! And a custom tune that's done, using the diablo tool as a loading device, is on par with a custom tune done from others... many people don't realize that custom tuning can be done using a diablo tool... The diablosport custom tuning software is like hptuners, efilive software that others use for creating custom tune files for things such as the efilive Autocal tool.. the autocal tool is a tune loader, that loads custom tune files...

If you get custom tuning done and you have a diablosport handheld tool, the diablo tool becomes a tune loader at that poing, to load a custom tune file that was created with their custom tuning software...

And a custom tune done for it will always be better than just the preset canned tunes that come on the tool... I think a lot of people miss or misunderstand that point, or don't realize that custom tuning can be done for a diablo tool...

Custom tuning can be done for diablo tools, just like it can be done using an efilive Autocal tool, with the tuning software.... you are not limited to just the preset canned tunes that come on the diablo tool itself...

Just the same..... I am not limited to the regular HPT, EFI LIVE, or Diablo tune parameters and I'll often create and use my own custom stuff that is not

available to other tuners using regular tools.

Additionally, while not everyone needs the full capabilities of the AutoCal device, for those rare occasions where you're in the middle of nowhere and

your car develops problems.... You'll be glad you got your AutoCal from Chuck CoW..... This tool has plenty of features that only professional tuner tools have

and it will let me remotely do stuff even some of the pro tools can't..... and that's what makes my tunes different from the others.

I wouldn't dare mess with someone's car remotely without my AutoCals.

Chuck CoW

Quick Reply: Diablo street tune VS Cow tune