C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What fan settings for TT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 07:33 PM
Joe Wendell
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What fan settings for TT?

2009 APS with stock stat and LG radiator running hotter than I prefer. Pulled the tune file (see pic), any recommendations. Looks like three pro tuners left it at the stock settings. Thanks,Joe.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:09 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I see a lot of guys make the mistake of making the fans come on at 100% above 206 degrees. What that does is burn out the fans or the electrical wiring to the fans. Then the car overheats.

On my cars, I dont exceed 90 % above 221 Degrees. the 10% between 90 and 100 wont save your engine if you have issues, but will burning up the circuit.

My ZR1 is set to come on 15% at 192 * just to get some air moving around. 90 % above 221 degrees, and married between 192 to 221 in the desired % vs ECT.

Last edited by phils C5 vette; 06-09-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:16 PM
Joe Wendell
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the input, I will make adjustments to something similar.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:44 AM
TurboLX
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Don't bother setting the fans on much below your thermostat temperature. They are there to provide additional assistance in cases where the radiator alone isn't keeping up. The thermostat itself should ultimately be in control of actual engine temps. You can move the values down a little to close the gap, but going below 192* isn't really going to help.

Also, remember that once the car is moving about 15-20mph, the fans don't really do much more than what you're already getting from normal airflow as you drive. Do the math based on MPH (converted to feet/min) and available radiator inlet area (again in feet^2) to get CFM. You'll quickly see that even modest vehicle speeds provide WAY MORE CFM than any fan you can buy.

If you're having cooling issues, make sure you have sealed the front/back of the radiator to avoid recirculating the same hot air around both sides. Add ducting to force all the fresh air that comes in the front/bottom opening to go through the radiator instead of leaking around it, and then potentially open up vents on the back side of the radiator to let the hot air escape. I run a sealed duct from the mouth of my GS fascia to the coolers/radiator and a vented hood with a stock fan and thermostat on my TT C6. It never overheats, even on open track days.

Get notified of new replies

To What fan settings for TT?

Quick Reply: What fan settings for TT?