C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Nav, aftermarket XM success

Old 05-17-2005, 09:10 PM
Birddog92
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impressive!

Congratulations on putting this new system together. I had just recently put an inquiry out on the general forum and did not get a response with regard to putting an aftermarket Satellite radio system in with NAV. I am very impressed. How long did it take you to put it in. What manuals if any did you have that gave you the insight to take the various components apart. Any help would be appreciated.

Carmine
Grand Rapids Michigan
Old 05-17-2005, 09:26 PM
FastMover
Drifting

Location: Tellico Plains, Tn "Wolf" Official Corvette Guard Dog
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by Birddog92
Congratulations on putting this new system together. I had just recently put an inquiry out on the general forum and did not get a response with regard to putting an aftermarket Satellite radio system in with NAV. I am very impressed. How long did it take you to put it in. What manuals if any did you have that gave you the insight to take the various components apart. Any help would be appreciated.

Carmine
Grand Rapids Michigan
He's one smart Kookie
Old 05-17-2005, 11:03 PM
Ginny C6
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 6-7-8-9-10-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

I first talked to an engineer at XM. He referred me to myradiostore.com for the parts and also to another engineer who had insight in the design of the XM radio for GM cars. I evidently was the first to get this to work. I ain't no smart kookie, but just willing to make phone calls and ask questions, (and take a chance)
Old 05-18-2005, 12:56 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Now this is just too cool. I've built a C6 folder where I'm saving interesting tips etc for that not to distant future when I part with my 03 Z.

This is a great piece of engineering.

Tom
Old 05-19-2005, 11:41 AM
AMGPilot
Drifting

That is awesome news!! Great job!!

Now if only someone could find a solution to integrate a Sirius Satellite tuner with the factory NAV unit
Old 05-19-2005, 01:46 PM
DaveZeltser
Racer

ginny, I am about to buy this setup from myradiostore.com but have some questions for you. Are there actual RCA inputs on the Nav unit that the XM radio module *or* Sony SON-AUX adaptor plug into? How does it plug into the Nav unit? the picture on the myradiostore.com site shows it as having 3 rca plugs, 2 male, one female. Have you tried anything through that input yet? using the fm transmitter is killing me!!

Thanks for posting your setup you too are my new hero.

Last edited by DaveZeltser; 05-19-2005 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:09 PM
huge.eug
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 35 Posts

Can you use this setup to install and integrate a hard drive based player - ala Music Keg/Phat Box/Dension DMP3????
Old 05-19-2005, 03:24 PM
FastMover
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by DaveZeltser
ginny, I am about to buy this setup from myradiostore.com but have some questions for you. Are there actual RCA inputs on the Nav unit that the XM radio module *or* Sony SON-AUX adaptor plug into? How does it plug into the Nav unit? the picture on the myradiostore.com site shows it as having 3 rca plugs, 2 male, one female. Have you tried anything through that input yet? using the fm transmitter is killing me!!

Thanks for posting your setup you too are my new hero.
Dave I have a question What kind of FM modulator are you using, is it wireless or an inline modulator switch. The reason I ask is I am using an
XM Commander with the in line modulator switch and it sounds better then the factory XM my son has. When you turn the XM Commander on the inline modulator module disconnects the FM antenna and connects the XM tuner, great sounding audio and NO Interferance from FM stations EVER, even in the city

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1042327
Old 05-19-2005, 04:46 PM
DaveZeltser
Racer

FastMover,
In my old C5 i tried the inline fm modulator, and i was pretty dissapointed. I tried it in my garage and even then i had interference. I was really hoping to have the rca or line level input which has no loss and no static.

Should i try the FM modulator in the C6? i know its going to be a lot cheaper and simpler route than doubling up on the XM input, but i cant stand static and interference. Also i dont know if you guys have ever experienced this but if you try and charge your ipod while using an FM transmitter (may do it with a modulator too) you get a bunch of interference. Maybe its just me.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:08 AM
kanvas
Intermediate

I am trying to get more information on this install. Does the son-aux adapter plug into the back of the nav unit or into a harness? If so which connection harness was used? GM10, GM12? Could an Ipod adapter be substituted for the son-aux? I ordered from myradiostore should be here tommorow.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:38 PM
synthtk
Instructor

Wow, awesome find!

This is exactly the type of solution I have been looking for to get the integrated XM, up until now I have been using a Delphi Roady2 with the antennal mounted on the hatch hinge and everything tucked nicely in the center console, but its very annoying to turn it on and off and change channels through it.

Before I order, I wanted to make sure that this now brings up the XM screen in the NAV? Also how does the AUX input get triggered and controlled?

Are these the correct parts?

XM Unit
Sony Aux-In
Old 05-23-2005, 07:27 PM
Ginny C6
Safety Car

CI 6-7-8-9-10-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by synthtk
Wow, awesome find!

This is exactly the type of solution I have been looking for to get the integrated XM, up until now I have been using a Delphi Roady2 with the antennal mounted on the hatch hinge and everything tucked nicely in the center console, but its very annoying to turn it on and off and change channels through it.

Before I order, I wanted to make sure that this now brings up the XM screen in the NAV? Also how does the AUX input get triggered and controlled?

Are these the correct parts?

XM Unit
Sony Aux-In
Yes, when you are in the street mode and change stations, it is displayed for a few seconds on the HUD. I don't know quite how the AUX input works, but when you are listening to XM and plug in an MP3 or any input, after a few seconds it swaps over that. When you un-plug it, it goes back to XM. The company that makes it is called P.I. I think they are out your way in CA. Call 1-800 330-9754 and ask for Eddie or Victor. Yes, those are the correct parts. I dealt with Ralph @ myradiostore.com (347) 562-2774. Tell both of them I sent you. Kevin
Old 05-23-2005, 07:30 PM
Ginny C6
Safety Car

CI 6-7-8-9-10-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by kanvas
I am trying to get more information on this install. Does the son-aux adapter plug into the back of the nav unit or into a harness? If so which connection harness was used? GM10, GM12? Could an Ipod adapter be substituted for the son-aux? I ordered from myradiostore should be here tommorow.
It plugs in to the RCA jacks in the XMDGM100 unit. The I-POD, or other input, plugs in to the SON-AUX.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:18 PM
kanvas
Intermediate

Thanks for your help. Let you know how it all goes.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:24 AM
SickRick
Drifting

I know your experience is with the NAV unit.

I wonder if the same setup will work with the radio setup in the 1SB PEG (CD/MP3/In Dash Changer). I had heard something to the effect of: hooking anything into the AUX input will disable the in-dash-changer. I was under the impression that the factory-installed-XM was setup the same way as yours.

Any input here (anyone with the in-dash-changer do something similar to this?) is appreciated...

Regards,

Rick
Old 05-24-2005, 02:49 PM
synthtk
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ginny C6
Yes, when you are in the street mode and change stations, it is displayed for a few seconds on the HUD. I don't know quite how the AUX input works, but when you are listening to XM and plug in an MP3 or any input, after a few seconds it swaps over that. When you un-plug it, it goes back to XM. The company that makes it is called P.I. I think they are out your way in CA. Call 1-800 330-9754 and ask for Eddie or Victor. Yes, those are the correct parts. I dealt with Ralph @ myradiostore.com (347) 562-2774. Tell both of them I sent you. Kevin
Just placed my order! Many thanks for finding the correct parts to do this. Just out of curiousity did the instructions tell you to run the jumper wire? How did you figure out how to do this?
Old 05-24-2005, 07:28 PM
Medriver99
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Do any of you know where the Factory XM unit is mounted in the coupe???
If we can find where it is we see if the SON-AUX will be able to plug inline for an Ipod.

MIKE

Get notified of new replies

To Factory Nav, aftermarket XM success

Old 05-24-2005, 07:41 PM
FastMover
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by Medriver99
Do any of you know where the Factory XM unit is mounted in the coupe???
If we can find where it is we see if the SON-AUX will be able to plug inline for an Ipod.

MIKE
I am told it is on the driver side behind the panel near the rear speaker
BUT I can tell you that you can't connect the son-aux because it does not have analog RCA connectors, you would have to use the XMDGM100 XM radio package module and the intrerface harness in order to use the son-aux for an Ipod.....
Old 05-24-2005, 10:01 PM
Ginny C6
Safety Car

CI 6-7-8-9-10-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by synthtk
Just placed my order! Many thanks for finding the correct parts to do this. Just out of curiousity did the instructions tell you to run the jumper wire? How did you figure out how to do this?
I wish I could say I figured it out, but I had some help from an engineer, who I believe designed the system. And before anyone asks, I had to promise not to give his name or number out. They were willing to help me because I was the first to try and make it work. I will tell you he obtained information on how GM's radio's are "wired". Please make sure you jump the two correct wires, as I did in mine. If you're not sure, don't do it. I have an electrical background, so it was easy for me. BTW I am leaving for BG tomorrow afternoon, see y'all there. If anyone wants to see this set-up working there, PM me and I'll give you my cell number. Kevin

Last edited by Ginny C6; 05-24-2005 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:06 AM
synthtk
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ginny C6
I wish I could say I figured it out, but I had some help from an engineer, who I believe designed the system. And before anyone asks, I had to promise not to give his name or number out. They were willing to help me because I was the first to try and make it work. I will tell you he obtained information on how GM's radio's are "wired". Please make sure you jump the two correct wires, as I did in mine. If you're not sure, don't do it. I have an electrical background, so it was easy for me. BTW I am leaving for BG tomorrow afternoon, see y'all there. If anyone wants to see this set-up working there, PM me and I'll give you my cell number. Kevin
Doing the correct one is not a prob I love tinkering with electronics I was just curious what the purpose of the jumper actually was and how you determined which two to jumper. Have fun in BG

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Factory Nav, aftermarket XM success