C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Nav, aftermarket XM success

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 02:01 AM
antoniopaolo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scissors

very very
Old 05-25-2005, 04:38 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FastMover
I am told it is on the driver side behind the panel near the rear speaker
BUT I can tell you that you can't connect the son-aux because it does not have analog RCA connectors, you would have to use the XMDGM100 XM radio package module and the intrerface harness in order to use the son-aux for an Ipod.....
Yes, but if you already have the factory XM, and only want to add another auxillary input, say for an ipod, then you can use PAC's AAI-GM12 interface. This adapter goes between the XM module and the factory harness. If you don't have XM, and only want to add an ipod or external CD changer, you can use PAC's AAI-GM24 interface. This interface connects directly to the back of the HU where the XM harness normally connects. Both of these interfaces give you 2 extra inputs, switch selectable on the interface, (the AAI-GM12 also has XM pass-thru).

Note that neither of these interfaces allow the ipod or external CD changer to be controlled by the head unit. You'll still have to operate the ipod from its own controls, or the external CD changer by its own remote, but they will give you a direct connection to play them through the factory sound system.

To use these interfaces, you select XM on the HU, then select which auxillary source you want with the adapter switch. If you select XM, then XM plays as normal. If you select one of the two other inputs, then you start that source from its own controls and its audio is what the factory sound system will play.

You can find these adapters (and many others) here:
http://www.pac-audio.com/products/aai.htm

Contact PAC and talk to them before ordering to make sure you understand how these adapters work, and how you connect them into the system.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:42 PM
kanvas
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installed the XM unit today. It took about 2 1/2 Hours. Works through the Head unit as if installed at the factory.

Thanks again for the idea and information.

Old 06-04-2005, 02:55 AM
BIGGGIE
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

whats it cost to just do the Mp3 setup? i already have the Xm...
Old 06-11-2005, 09:22 PM
scot
Advanced

Anyone know if you can add XM to the 1sa radio with this setup?
Old 07-08-2005, 09:46 AM
JERRY4321
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Aftermarket Xm

Thanks Ginny6.

I Have Been Trying For Months To Find A Way To Run Xm Through My Nav System On My 05 Corvette. I Called Everywhere. Read Your Thread And Have Ordered The Parts. Thanks For Sharing The Info.

Jerry S.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:58 PM
DaveZeltser
Racer

I have spent the last few weeks trying to get this all to work. I have Nav with factory XM. I cant get anything to work. I tried the GM12AUXv2 adaptor and had no luck... what did i do wrong? anyone have any suggestions?
Old 07-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Medriver99
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07-'09

I used the Soundgate interface to connect my Ipod through the Nav unit,I also have factory XM. I still have to control the Ipod manually
but the sound is so much better than FM Modulation.
I also installed a SIK docking cable for sound pass through and charging at the same time.

Mike
Old 07-08-2005, 03:17 PM
DaveZeltser
Racer

mike, how? where do i order and how does it work? whats the part name and all that info. I am dying to order. It hurts to listen to an ipod through thefm radio. Thanks buddy!
Old 07-08-2005, 03:19 PM
Blazer
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by DaveZeltser
mike, how? where do i order and how does it work? whats the part name and all that info. I am dying to order. It hurts to listen to an ipod through thefm radio. Thanks buddy!

Dave - Check this link. You need the AAI-GM24 from PAC. Here's the write-up from several weeks ago: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...p?p=1551172269
Old 07-08-2005, 03:34 PM
Medriver99
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Dave
Here is the interface
http://www.soundgate.com/index.php?r...&usereferrer=1

Here is the cable
http://www.sik.com/index.php

Email me if you need more help
medriver99@msn.com

Mike
Old 07-11-2005, 06:55 PM
jimgm
Cruising

Can XM somehow be added to the base (1SX) pachage radio?
Old 07-12-2005, 02:15 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just wanted to say thanks to Ginny C6 for posting the info here. I got the same XM kit and installed it per your instructions and everything worked perfectly. There are a couple of points that I'd like to bring up from my own installation that I haven't seen mentioned:

(1) When you get the kit, you can jumper the light green/black wire on the 12 wire harness directly to the red/yellow wire on the 24 wire harness. You do this on the cabling that comes in the kit before you even install it, so there shouldn't be any issue with wire colors as you aren't jumping the wires in the car but on the harness that comes with the kit.

(2) Ginny C6's location for the antenna does not work well for me. I got a lot of dropouts in that location. I ended up putting the antenna in the top/center of the hatch glass on the outside of the car. With the antenna being so small and dark color like the glass, it doesn't look like the factory "wart" and it will give you better reception if you aren't close to the equator like Ginny C6. Note that the antenna is too fat to shove between the hatch and the roof so if you decide to mount it on the hatch glass, you should push the radio (connector) end of the antenna wire through first and wire it from the back to the radio. If you wire everything first and then have to move it, you'll have to loosen the hatch bolts or splice the antenna wire to mount it on the glass.

(3) I ended up sticking the little red XM data module on the back/right of the radio opening just to the left of the glove box. The XM radio itself I ended up shoving underneath the Nav and sort of behind the climate control panel. I tried it in several other places and this seemed like the only place it would fit.

(4) On the manual tranny, I found it easiest to just pinch the leather boot near the rim of the opening and pull lightly inward toward the stick. There are several tabs there that easily pop out in just seconds: this is easier than removing the torx bolt and removing the shift ****.

That's about all I can add. I took some pictures of the process but they are no better than Ginny C6's photos at the top of this thread so I didn't bother. My photos of the wires you need to splice on the harness may be a little better but they probably aren't needed. Just jump the right color wires and there should be no question.

I'm very happy with the install. I have no idea how much it would be to get the XM radio from GM, but I suspect it would be more than $249. $249 for totally integrated XM in your Nav ain't bad! The whole process took me about 3 hours but most of that time was spent fiddling with different mounting positions for the two "boxes" that come with the kit and making sure they were secure enough that they wouldn't rattle.

Mike

Last edited by mikeyc6; 07-12-2005 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:15 PM
rolln_on_em
Advanced

I just did a XM install with this equipment and the red/yellow is now a red/blue.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:08 PM
FastMover
Drifting

Location: Tellico Plains, Tn "Wolf" Official Corvette Guard Dog
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by rolln_on_em
I just did a XM install with this equipment and the red/yellow is now a red/blue.
How does it work??

Old 10-30-2005, 02:50 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

I'm glad this thread is still open because I have something important to add. Anyone doing this mod would be well advised to locate the XM module as far away from the actual nav unit as possible. I've been struggling with the "no GPS" signal on my NAV since installing this aftermarket XM kit. My car would take 20-30 minutes to acquire a GPS signal and readjust the position on the map and until that point, it would show me driving through woods, lakes, etc.. Apparently the problem was caused by the XM unit being too close to the factory nav radio head. I initially had it shoved up underneath the factory nav (touching it) and as soon as I moved it from there to behind the top passenger dash panel (about 3-4 inches away from the nav), the problem went away.

Food for thought... Wonder if this is why the stock unit is located so far from the nav. I always though it was just due to lack of space in/behind the dash. There is obviously some sort of interference between the nav GPS and the XM module so if you find that your nav starts misbehaving or updating the position less frequently after doing this mod, you may need to rethink the location you used to mount this aftermarket XM module.

Mike
Old 10-30-2005, 06:56 PM
Ginny C6
Safety Car

CI 6-7-8-9-10-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Mikey, I am glad you posted this. I started having the exact problem that you described. I ended up taking it to the dealer thinking he would blame the XM module, but did not. He instead replaced the head unit which seemed to help, but it still loses signal when it's cloudy or raining. I noticed when it's clear it is slow to initally aquire the signal after pulling out of the garage, but works fine afterward. I wonder when he replaced the head unit if he moved the XM module just a little. I'm going to open it up again and move it as much as I can to see what that does. What about shielding the XM module from the NAV head unit? Thanks again for posting your find Kevin

Get notified of new replies

To Factory Nav, aftermarket XM success

Old 10-30-2005, 07:28 PM
'03blackonblack
Racer

I have both a C6 And a 05 H2, both the touch screen nav. both without XM, Is it possible to set up both vehicles and just have the unit removable from one to the other? I never drive both vehicles at the same time. I would buy both setups and only activate one XM unit and pay for one subscription. Is this possible?
Old 10-30-2005, 07:43 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ginny C6
Mikey, I am glad you posted this. I started having the exact problem that you described. I ended up taking it to the dealer thinking he would blame the XM module, but did not. He instead replaced the head unit which seemed to help, but it still loses signal when it's cloudy or raining. I noticed when it's clear it is slow to initally aquire the signal after pulling out of the garage, but works fine afterward. I wonder when he replaced the head unit if he moved the XM module just a little. I'm going to open it up again and move it as much as I can to see what that does. What about shielding the XM module from the NAV head unit? Thanks again for posting your find Kevin
Kevin,

Where was/is your XM module located? I initially had mine shoved up under the head unit and the farthest I could get mine away was to turn it so that the RCA jacks were facing up and the antenna connector facing down and shove it over to the right sort of behind the passenger airbag area. I double stick taped it to the little metal bracket back there. I might be able to do even better but that sure did help. Mine was really acting strange, as if it had to search for 20-30 minutes for an active satellite and then it did OK even if I made a quick stop or two and restarted. If I didn't drive the car again for a day or two, the 20-30 minute warmup cycle would start all over again. Now that I've moved it, it seems to acquire a signal within a minute or two after I clear the heavy trees. I never thought about shielding the module since it is already encased in a metal box. I've had similar problems with modems placed right on top of routers, etc. because some of the modulators in one device can affect another device if they are in very close proximity. From what I've seen in my short after-fix test, I think the area behind the passenger airbag cover is far enough.

Mike
Old 10-31-2005, 12:53 PM
Ginny C6
Safety Car

CI 6-7-8-9-10-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Mikey, I don't remember exactly where I put it, and I think the Tech at the dealer must have moved it anyway. I am going to have the car up on stands again next week, so i am going to remove the console and see where it is and try to move it as far away from the head unit as possible. I will post photos of before/after. Kevin

Quick Reply: Factory Nav, aftermarket XM success