C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vararam snake charmer

Old 03-20-2006, 04:05 PM
kramco
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vararam snake charmer

I'd like to hear feedback from members who have this system. I'm thinking of using this in conjuction with GHL exhaust. HP gains seem pretty high. Would like some opinions please. Also, would I have to do any cutting to do the install and how long would it take? Thanks ........
Old 03-20-2006, 04:25 PM
fredgpowell
Pro

SKip the GHL exhaust unless you are in need of sound. The exhaust will not add any hp to your car and it will all be mental stimulation. Dyno results have proved it. I have a vararam and it is great. The installation is not that bad and it give great results. I put a set of LG header on the car and it dynoed corrected at 385 rwhp. Good quality product and seems to be the best engineered if you ask me. That is my personal opinion.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:45 PM
ShockerRacing
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts

I like it alot! A bunch of people will complain about having to cut the radiator shroud, but if you take your time doing the cutting (and by taking your time I mean 20 minutes) you should have no problems. I have posted this a bunch of times but take a look at this install write up I did:

Shockerracing.com - C6 CORVETTE VARARAM INTAKE & THROTTLE BODY SPACER INSTALL

Tools Needed:

Razor Knife
Flathead Screwdriver
Size 4 and Size 5 Allen wrenches
Pliers
White Marker or Crayon
Scotch Tape
10mm Socket and Ratchet

Step 1: First you will need to remove the stock air box assembly. In order to do this unclip the two metal clips on each side of the stock air box and pull the 2 stock air filters up and out. Then there is the long plastic cover that goes over and across both filters, this just pulled up and off once the two factory filters were removed. Then unplug the Mass Air Flow sensor connector, there is a light gray safety piece that has to be pulled out of the plug so that you can unplug this connector. Then unplug the other sensor from the air bridge between the MAF and the Throttle Body. Next, using the flathead screwdriver you will need to loosen the hose clamp that holds the air bridge onto the throttle body. Once that is loose you can pull the bridge off of the throttle body and pull the whole assembly up and off(note; there are two plastic plugs that hold the factory airbox down these unplug just by pulling them up and off).

Step 2: Installing the Throttle Body Spacer: in order to remove the throttle body spacer you will need to remove all 4 of the 10mm bolts that hold the throttle body to the intake manifold. These unscrew pretty easily and will allow enough room for the spacer to slide behind. Using the new bolts that have been provided with the spacer(they are longer), slide the bolts through the throttle body and through the spacer and screw them back into the manifold. You will want to tighten these until they are snug but do not overtighten as the rubber with then become smashed. You will want to come back and tighten these up again after the intake is completely installed and you let the engine run and warm up a bit.
a.

b.

Step 3: Next you will want to assemble the whole intake just so that you know what the whole intake will look like. You can attach the MAF to the intake using the provided adapter (red) and using the two clamps. Then this will all be ready to go after you cut the hole in the radiator shroud.
c.

Step 4: Next you will need to cut out the template for cutting the radiator shroud. Then you will to lay the template out on the radiator shroud and center it. You can see in the next picture how I traced the template. Then the next two pics show how it looked after I initially cut the shroud. I then found after trying to put the intake in that you need to cut further down on the shroud to allow the intake to sit properly. The two plastic humps at the bottom need to be almost completely cut off in order for the intake to sit flush and mount properly. We took our time and kept cutting small amounts off at a time to be sure not to cut off more than was necessary. Once you cut enough and test fit the intake so that is sits properly you can install the rubber gasket piece that surrounds the edge of the shroud where you just cut. This gasket gives the radiator shroud a nice clean look.
d.

e.

f.

Step 5: Next you will need to remove the two allen screws that are in the front of the radiator shroud. The stock allen screws were a size 4. Then you can use the new allen (Size 5) screws that are provided to screw in the red bracket. Once the bracket is mounted be sure to check that the bottom part of the intake hooks on the two plastic bumper tabs so that it looks like picture g. Once this is all set you can slide the bridge back over the throttle body and tighten down all of the screws for the clamps. Double check all of your screws and bolts to be sure they are tight.

g.

Here are some pics of the finished product:

Once everything was installed and checked start her up and let her run a bit so that the Throttle body spacer gets warm and resnug the throttle body bolts.

Vararams instructions are pretty good but I just felt that some things would have gone a little more smoothly if they had been mentioned so that is why I did my own write up.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:04 PM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

Shocker, that is one great write-up for the CAI. The pics make the install look like a simple, Saturday morning mod. Did you re-tune? Thanx.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:42 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

put snake charmer and spacer on gained 1/2second in 1/4 mile almost 5 mph no tune necessary very easy to install
Old 03-20-2006, 06:59 PM
Bounty Hunter
Team Owner

Location: My anger management class pisses me off outside of Nashville
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Love mine
Old 03-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Maserkist
Instructor

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
put snake charmer and spacer on gained 1/2second in 1/4 mile almost 5 mph no tune necessary very easy to install
I had similar gains as well. You can really feel the difference (and hear it when it starts sucking in air.)

-Chris
Old 03-20-2006, 11:17 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where's the best place to buy one? And do you really need the spacer?

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 03-21-2006, 10:54 AM
ShockerRacing
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts

I did not retune until the headers were installed. The install was not very hard at all, but I have quite a bit of install experience. Glen, I would not have bought the TB Spacer but I found a sale that included it for free from T Byrne.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:37 AM
1955 BelAir
Eccentric Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Are you saying a 0.500 reduction in E.T. from this ?? That's great!
Old 03-21-2006, 11:41 AM
fredgpowell
Pro

Yea I have my spacer now I just have to get the time to go out and install it sometime this weekend. I have LGs also and a tune so it should be a good ride once I am done.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:34 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1955 BelAir
Are you saying a 0.500 reduction in E.T. from this ?? That's great!

yes it went from 12.919 at 109.48 to12.387 at 113.36 very similar conditions
Old 03-21-2006, 07:20 PM
1955 BelAir
Eccentric Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09

yes it went from 12.919 at 109.48 to12.387 at 113.36 very similar conditions
That's amazing!
Old 03-21-2006, 10:09 PM
0Cajun @ Edgyvette
Former Vendor

Received 393 Likes on 286 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12'-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by 1955 BelAir
That's amazing!
Similiar results to the C5..........Just as I thought BUT of course we need to hear some more members with similiar improvements.

Cajun
Old 03-23-2006, 01:54 AM
JELSIS
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glennhl
Where's the best place to buy one? And do you really need the spacer?

Thanks,
Glenn
I purchased the Vararam with spacer from www.RickAnthonyMotorsports.net today. Rick gave me the best deal I could find. I would recommend calling or PMing him for a price with the spacer.

Joe.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:52 AM
S281ER238
Racer

so should i get vararam or lpe which one
Old 03-23-2006, 06:42 AM
JELSIS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by S281ER238
I went with the Vararam and spacer because of the good results owners are getting at the drag strip (.2-.4 off et's).

Get notified of new replies

To Vararam snake charmer

Old 03-23-2006, 12:27 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by S281ER238
Vararam

My only concern if I ultimately get one is with the front license plate blockage. I know most don't put one on but after my first pullover for it I will be putting it on and the way I plan to mount it (bending the top and buttom of the plate back 90 degrees and actually fitting inside the grill opening mounted with zip ties) might directly block the Vararam's opening/air inlet. It will still get some good air though I'm sure and I can always poke lots of holes in the license plate as well.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:18 PM
JELSIS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Vararam

My only concern if I ultimately get one is with the front license plate blockage. I know most don't put one on but after my first pullover for it I will be putting it on and the way I plan to mount it (bending the top and buttom of the plate back 90 degrees and actually fitting inside the grill opening mounted with zip ties) might directly block the Vararam's opening/air inlet. It will still get some good air though I'm sure and I can always poke lots of holes in the license plate as well.
I have the removable plate bracket from topflightrepro.com, I have not installed it yet, I will only mount it if I get pulled over. If you buy this unit, just un-screw the two wing nuts to remove it at the track and put it back on for the drive home, I think there is enough clearance with this bracket installed that it should not cause any loss in performance compared to zip ties inside the grill which would cause the plate to almost sit directly on the Vararam scoop.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:27 PM
fredgpowell
Pro

Vararam man do it and make it happen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vararam snake charmer